Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Jimmie Allen's Spartan Bomber (Read 509 times)
Reply #19 - Feb 20th, 2020 at 10:41pm

alfakilo   Offline
Global Moderator
Retired USAF and TWA.
St Louis, MO

Sky9pilot wrote on Feb 20th, 2020 at 9:12pm:
...doesn't look like she has very much dihedral. 

The wings are just pinned on for the picture. It will have a medium amount of dihedral.

IP Logged

Reply #18 - Feb 20th, 2020 at 9:12pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Looking great AK...doesn't look like she has very much dihedral.  But the angles of the pictures don't really show dihedral!!  I can't seem to get my builds going or completed like y'all are doing lately.  Your builds are so clean and fresh in craftsmanship and then you cover those bones with great tissue work.  I'm envious!  Keep us the great work!
Sky9pilot

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #17 - Feb 20th, 2020 at 6:58pm

alfakilo   Offline
Global Moderator
Retired USAF and TWA.
St Louis, MO

Moving right along on this. Wing mount is 2
wood dowels thru the fuselage and into the first two ribs.

IP Logged

Reply #16 - Feb 17th, 2020 at 12:49am

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Yep...that's the sound!!! Grin Wink Cool
Love the F-104's amazing aircraft.  You're one lucky guy to have flown all those jets!!  I've yet to figure out how to make a rubber powered F-104G.  A 27" span F-104 would have a very long fuselage.  I have seen a paper F-104 with a rubber powered ducted fan that actually flew very well  outside. rubber powered F-104G

IP Logged

Reply #15 - Feb 16th, 2020 at 10:12pm

alfakilo   Offline
Global Moderator
Retired USAF and TWA.
St Louis, MO

Our 104s at Luke were actually built by the Germans to be flown in the US in USAF markings. We had two squadrons for initial training for students coming out of USAF pilot training. We also had a separate Fighter Weapons School that used the same aircraft. I started out as an instructor for the initial students and then joined the weapons school as an instructor.

In the Right Stuff movie, the 104  used for the ground scenes was one of our Luke aircraft, tail # 269, flew it many times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GcfZXqPJf4

IP Logged

Reply #14 - Feb 16th, 2020 at 5:22pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

The only thing missing from that video is the 104 howl... I remember several F-104G's from Luke AFB (I think they were German Airforce but in U.S.A.F. marking) and NASA's F-104G's at several airshows I went to.  I just remember the  howl of the engine (J-79's I believe)  very destinct sounds.  They used to fly through McCellan AFB on maneuvers. I used to photograph outside the base.  I agree, fond memories!
Sky9pilot

IP Logged

Reply #13 - Feb 16th, 2020 at 1:05pm

alfakilo   Offline
Global Moderator
Retired USAF and TWA.
St Louis, MO

Brings back some great memories! We didn't aerobrake the 104 after landing. Raising the nose actually decreased drag. Instead, the drag chute was typically used.

IP Logged

Reply #12 - Feb 16th, 2020 at 12:56pm

MKelly   Offline
Helotes, TX

Kerak wrote on Feb 16th, 2020 at 12:31pm:
Ran across this the other day, Andy...a bit off topic...thought you might enjoy it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4UPfmBn9LA

Neal

Wow!  I need to up my surface detail game after seeing that model.  Love the flight, especially the aerobrake on landing...

AK, the Spartan Bomber build is coming along nicely - this is my second favorite Jimmy Allen plane (after the Bluebird Racer).

Mike

IP Logged

Reply #11 - Feb 16th, 2020 at 12:31pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Ran across this the other day, Andy...a bit off topic...thought you might enjoy it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4UPfmBn9LA

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #10 - Feb 14th, 2020 at 4:33pm

Don McLellan   Offline
Stick & Tissue

Very nice work Alfa!  I think a very interesting subject.

IP Logged

Reply #9 - Feb 14th, 2020 at 3:13pm

alfakilo   Offline
Global Moderator
Retired USAF and TWA.
St Louis, MO

Kerak wrote on Feb 14th, 2020 at 12:06pm:
Nice, Andy!  Was wondering how a vac'd canopy might work...maybe even to include that small bit of "turtle decking," from a weight-saving point of view?  Just an idea....

Neal

Hard to say. Depends on how much of that upper deck is going to be molded and the thickness of the plastic. As is, the front windscreen probably won't need to be molded.

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Feb 14th, 2020 at 12:06pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Nice, Andy!  Was wondering how a vac'd canopy might work...maybe even to include that small bit of "turtle decking," from a weight-saving point of view?  Just an idea....

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Feb 14th, 2020 at 8:12am

alfakilo   Offline
Global Moderator
Retired USAF and TWA.
St Louis, MO

Off and running! Fuselage box is 3/32", nose stringers 1/16".

Turtledeck is changed from the plan. I made upper formers to support the 1/8" sheet top and then hollowed out the formers. The plan method looked like nothing but headaches.

Wing support is complicated by the idea of a slot to allow changes in the Cg. Don't think I'll do that.

Starting the wing today. It too is a bit different. The rear "spar" seems to be a stringer-like stick that passes through the side of each rib (a hole is drilled for that). Not sure what that adds to the strength of the wing. Probably will use something more traditional.

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Feb 9th, 2020 at 4:04pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Alright AK...another great choice and I can hardly wait to see how you bring this one together!  Getting the popcorn and soda (or should I say Ovaltine!) to follow this build.  I remember Captain Midnight but I believe it was on black and white TV Click Here for me... Loved his Douglas 558-2 Skyrocket Grin Cheesy Smiley 

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Feb 9th, 2020 at 12:21pm

New Builder   Offline
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada

This is a very cool model. I always sub 3/32 for 1/16 as like you, smaller stuff seems too fragile. Pick the lightest stuff you can get and build to plan. Once the frame is done and all nice and straight, then do a little adding if need be. I'm sure there are several models out there flying really well and yours will too.
Mike

"Skill comes by the constant repetition of familiar feats rather than by a few overbold attempts for which the performer is yet poorly prepared." Wilbur Wright
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print