Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Dumas Air Express - Gilmore Oil (Read 453 times)
Reply #16 - Mar 1st, 2020 at 1:35pm

heywooood   Offline
it's a Mystery
san diego

Thank you for your generous endorsement, Gary - I’ll give it my best effort

"you made that from a box full of sticks?...What is WRONG with you!!"...Mrs. Heywooood
IP Logged

Reply #15 - Feb 23rd, 2020 at 8:59pm

Skyediamonds   Offline
Global Moderator
Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling
Reno, Nevada

Jeffery,

I've seen Heywoood at his best in many of his previous models.  You're in for a real treat.  He's that good.  Just release him to the work table and his inner artist flows....

Great job Mr. Heywoood!!  Looking forward to another ride.

IP Logged

Reply #14 - Feb 23rd, 2020 at 3:59pm

Jeffrey Dick   Offline

Victoria BC

Good to know I won’t have to shell out for the WB engine, I don’t know if the new owners even make those anymore. I became very fascinated about the early Lockheed’s, especially when I discovered the same symmetrical fuselage half mold, made the fuselages for all but the few metal ones. Wings and tail feathers vary slightly, with the exception of the Explorer. so theoretically one could make any of the Vega, Air Express, Sirius, Altair, Orion and Explorer with minor modifications to the Dumas kit. I also have the EBM Orion, which could also be modified, but it’s a smaller scale at 1/21.3 roughly. The Dumas Air Express is about 1/17. I have seen the Orion in videos and it seems to fly well, but I have yet to find much on the Air Express. Being a parasol, it should be a stable flier. Dave Rees did a beautiful plan for the Vega, a tiny bit bigger than the Air Express at 1/16. Looking forward to your progress, quite inspirational.
Regards,
Jeff

“When using Aromatic Cement and Dope, remember to close the doors and windows for Maximum effect” Wink
IP Logged

Reply #13 - Feb 23rd, 2020 at 2:12pm

heywooood   Offline
it's a Mystery
san diego

Yes that is the engine I am using. Williams Bro’s Wasp 1/12 scale. I have modified it by inserting the cylinders into the crankcase by approx 1/8” and omitting the surface mounting rings.
The airplane is beautiful no matter what livery you choose.
Thank you for your generous assessment of my effort on this project!

"you made that from a box full of sticks?...What is WRONG with you!!"...Mrs. Heywooood
IP Logged

Reply #12 - Feb 21st, 2020 at 11:09pm

Jeffrey Dick   Offline

Victoria BC

Wow! You’re doing a top notch job on the Air Express. This is going to be a stunner, and I will watch this, and no doubt utilize some of your modifications. I happen to have ordered this kit a few days ago! I was thinking of the “LOCKHEED Air Express” red fuselage and cream wings and tail feathers with “LOCKHEED” in red on the wings. The Hollywood style Art Deco lettering is the eye catcher for me. (see pic) I have already researched the one you are doing, it is no doubt the best looking paint scheme for an Air Express, hands down. The markings are spectacular, with the lion head and gold stripes and red lettering. This is amazing work! Are you going to be sheeting the wing? I have a WB 1/12 P&W Wasp, is that the same one you’re using?
Best regards,
Jeff

(105 KB | 11 )
28769081-AAFA-4DC5-90EA-137A21E414C5.jpeg

“When using Aromatic Cement and Dope, remember to close the doors and windows for Maximum effect” Wink
IP Logged

Reply #11 - Feb 21st, 2020 at 6:34am

heywooood   Offline
it's a Mystery
san diego

Gary - thank you !
Visiting this forum and seeing the work you and the other members here have done - and sharing information and support is a huge piece of my day to day routine. It is heartwarming to have such a community to be a part of.
I hope to have some updates on the Vega project soon but am busy with other work until March 5th or so.

IP Logged

Reply #10 - Feb 20th, 2020 at 8:44pm

Skyediamonds   Offline
Global Moderator
Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling
Reno, Nevada

Heywoood,

You really made an incredible statement.  That's awesome and really made me look at it several times to make sure I was reading it correctly.  Thank you for sharing such a personal moment with all of us.  That really takes strength and a  willingness to open up.  Suffice to say, we've all been there at one point or another. 

It's an honor to know you and a pleasure to share such friendship with you both personally and on this forum. 

I envy you for meeting Dave personally.  I've known him too for several years and he's on my bucket list as well.

Thank you! 

Gary (Skye)

IP Logged

Reply #9 - Feb 19th, 2020 at 6:27am

heywooood   Offline
it's a Mystery
san diego

Dave has been an endless source of help and inspiration to me since I first contacted him on a forum regarding his models and methods a few years ago. He has forwarded to me a couple of rare kits and some parts here and there as well..some I have completed and one or two I continue to mull over. Having met Dave personally and spoken at length about a few things I consider him to be a good friend - a generous and thoughtful person - and an undeniably talented artist.
I think of most of the people I have come to know on these forums in the same general way. All of you are friendly, helpful, inspirational, generous with information on methods and approaches to the various tasks at hand, and encouraging.
The time I have spent on projects and in these forums has been for me more helpful in every aspect of my life than I could ever express. Suffice to say there was a rock bottom and you all have helped me climb back up and out of there. It can seem like a small and insignificant thing that we do - taking time to talk to each other and offering encouragement or advice on a project or whatever - but it is much more essential than that in the big picture. Thank you.

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Feb 19th, 2020 at 1:07am

Skyediamonds   Offline
Global Moderator
Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling
Reno, Nevada

Hedywoood,

Thank you for your reply to my query.  David is really a good source of information, parts, designs, drawings and a  whole wealth of ideas in the modeling field.  I've been keeping in touch with him off and on all this time.  Never thought about the blister.  Good job!!

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Feb 15th, 2020 at 5:59am

heywooood   Offline
it's a Mystery
san diego

Hello Skye - thank you for your kind appraisal of the work to date on the Vega. The blisters you are asking about were on a sheet of vacuformed parts sent to me along with several different wheels and some other detail parts by Dave Duckett. I was working on a Today’s Hobbies kit (Phantom I think) which do not include wheels, or any other detail parts and he thought they would help. I don’t know specifically which kit they are from but I believe David referenced the Guillow Corsair for some of what was in the package he sent me. These blisters worked perfectly for the top of the gear struts and two others worked well for the fuselage centerline where the minor landing gear struts are anchored.
The wooden blisters on the back sides of the wheel pants were carved and shaped by me from balsa scraps.

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Feb 15th, 2020 at 1:36am

Skyediamonds   Offline
Global Moderator
Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling
Reno, Nevada

Hey, Heywoood,

Sorry, couldn't resist that expression.  Just marveled at your work.  Really impressive.  I really liked your attention to detail.  Just curious, what did you use or do to make the fairings on top of the landing gear strut that connects to the fuselage?  It really looks cool.

You're doing great.

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Feb 14th, 2020 at 4:39pm

heywooood   Offline
it's a Mystery
san diego

It is a very interesting airplane to be sure. I still have a long way to go having just laid up the wing. The graphics created by Callie look wonderful and I look forward to being able to apply them.

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Feb 14th, 2020 at 12:18pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Apparently Roscoe had some ideas about safety if a problem developed with the aircraft. Roscoe Turner's emergency plane 'chute [NC3057] (Irvin Parachute Co) Click Here

(22 KB | 11 )
turner-planechute.jpg

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #3 - Feb 14th, 2020 at 12:04pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

WoW this is looking wonderful!  I love this aircraft and she'll be a real beauty when you finish her.  I think the interchangable engine/cowl will be interesting.  I look forward to the pictures!

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Feb 14th, 2020 at 11:17am

heywooood   Offline
it's a Mystery
san diego

here is the target aircraft..

(177 KB | 16 )
gilmore.jpg

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print