Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Glenn L Martin's Observation One (Read 1192 times)
Reply #39 - Apr 2nd, 2020 at 2:26pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Well Mike...I too use a variable speed Dremel Tool...and you're correct, slowest speed is still very fast.  I seem to be getting away with it that way...but for real expertise, Neo is even able to create wonderful wheel rim edges!  I use a sanding block...and a #11 Xacto blade tip...note...tip.  You're virtually scraping the wood away...and yes...do make certain the wood is turning away from the blade and NOT into it!  It's like using a wood lathe...same principle...same do and don'ts.

And like Tom...I've used an electric hand-drill as well...much slower rotation speeds.

I have yet to see a demo-video of anyone turning foam wheels...but have noted the use of a hardwood dowel as the spindle/axle.  Dowel is probably drilled out afterward...after turning the wheel and trimming the dowel.  Seen some very nice looking foam wheels!

More than one way to skin a ........  My old tried and true way has been to cut the parts...assemble/sand...no turning involved.  Works...but more involved...more steps.

This peanut Albatross has the best wheels I've ever turned...used an electric hand-drill.

Neal

(206 KB | 17 )
Peanut_Albatross_DV_002.jpg
IP Logged

Reply #38 - Apr 2nd, 2020 at 1:19pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

I been using a variable speed hand drill for years to turn wheels and spinners using balsa.  I've found that the best chuck is an old drill bit, as dowels tend to compress/squish as you clamp it down in the drill.  1/16" or 3/32" for wheels and 1/8" or 1/4" depending on the size of the spinner.

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #37 - Apr 2nd, 2020 at 8:43am

New Builder   Offline
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada

Neal - Been thinking about your post re: turning wheels with a Dremel tool. A bit frightening in my book. I have two tools, one constant speed and another adjustable and even at the lowest speed is still 5000 RPM. I'll bet the material goes away fast. Any control problems I should look out for?
Mike

"Skill comes by the constant repetition of familiar feats rather than by a few overbold attempts for which the performer is yet poorly prepared." Wilbur Wright
IP Logged

Reply #36 - Mar 29th, 2020 at 12:53pm

alfakilo   Offline
Global Moderator
Retired USAF and TWA.
St Louis, MO

Another beauty!

IP Logged

Reply #35 - Mar 29th, 2020 at 12:25pm

pb_guy   Offline
So I'm just a kid at heart.
Youbou, BC, Vancouver Island

That rectangular radiator really stands out on this behemoth. I like that you left the fuselage in plain. I disagree a bit with Mike. You have to spend some time breaking flying  Cheesy what you have so that you can enjoy them before starting another project. Besides, I think that you might have to build on an extra room, or an extra garage in order to store your fleet!
ian

IP Logged

Reply #34 - Mar 29th, 2020 at 11:56am

MKelly   Offline
Helotes, TX

Another very nice build Neal - looks like it ought to fly really well.  What's next?

Mike

IP Logged

Reply #33 - Mar 29th, 2020 at 11:15am

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Thanks, Mike!  Actually...I'm at the other end of the process...I like sticking all the sticks together.  Grin

Well...time to bring this one to a close...get out of the way for others to strut their stuff.

Neal

(161 KB | 24 )
Martin_MO-1_fig_1.jpg
(222 KB | 26 )
Martin_MO-1_fig_2.jpg
(314 KB | 30 )
Martin_MO-1_fig_3.jpg
IP Logged

Reply #32 - Mar 29th, 2020 at 9:39am

New Builder   Offline

Looking real good and this pickin' at the details is the part I like the most about building and unfortunately takes the most time for me, however all is well and looking forward to the end result.
Mike

"Skill comes by the constant repetition of familiar feats rather than by a few overbold attempts for which the performer is yet poorly prepared." Wilbur Wright
IP Logged

Reply #31 - Mar 28th, 2020 at 8:56am

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Down to picking-away-at-the-details-phase, such as they are.  With some of the work you guys are doing, I'm almost ashamed to show my lazy efforts!  Oh well, this is where I'm at, literally and figuratively.

LG is comprised of two laminated 3/32" sq hard balsa strips with a sanded cross-section.  Spreader-bar is same...with a wire axle.  It's all in keeping with my personal philosophy that whatever wire one uses is serious weight.  It's all relative to how much your model weighs...if it's a rock with a fast glide...better use the wire...but if one can achieve a gentle flat glide into that "tall grass," maybe no wire is necessary.  I figure that if I'm going to get past that prop and radiator...tear the LG off in landing...repairs won't be that bad.  Been doin' it this way for years....  My rc days were "another thing"...heavy wire-reinforced gear that took all manner of effort to bend accurately.  Don't miss those times.  So don't do like I say...do as you feel comfortable with.  Smiley Wink

Ever hear the story about Jimmy Doolittle and his landing gear?  As a young Lt. in a flight echelon...they were all instructed to follow their leader in for a landing...line astern.  The runway just happened to begin as a raised pier....  As instructed, they all followed the man in...in perfect order.  Problem was...the flight leader's aircraft was too low...sheared off his landing gear...sliding down the runway on the aircraft's belly.  One after the other...same result!  No one was injured...but a number of repairs were in order.  Shocked Roll Eyes Cool  Use at least some discretion.  Grin

Neal

(20 KB | 30 )
Martin_MO-1_P1190417.jpg
IP Logged

Reply #30 - Mar 26th, 2020 at 3:32pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Wheels for my MO-1...1 1/4" dia blanks mounted on a 1/16"dia bit of old rc clevis/threaded-linkage...cut in half so that I could "load" two wheels, one after the other.

Turned using my Dremel Tool.  Nothing fancy.  Now to install a 1/16"dia tube bushing.

Later...as installed....

Neal
« Last Edit: Mar 26th, 2020 at 7:49pm by Kerak »  

(275 KB | 32 )
5_Martin_MO-1.jpg
IP Logged

Reply #29 - Mar 26th, 2020 at 8:44am

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Thanks, Scigs...and I certainly enjoy your builds as well.  This MO is about as simple as a build can be...which is good...because I'm having to motivate myself.  I'm regressing back to a childhood (short attention span).  Wink Grin

Wingspan is 21.5"...prop is a 7"dia...motor is 2 loops of 3/16" Sig rubber.  All covering is completed.  Need a landing gear now...have considered floats, but for an uninspired individual, that may be a bit much right now.  Besides, I'd probably destroy them in a test glide!

And then, of course...there are the details to doll her up...but as for the moment, to my feel...seems to have super potential as a flyer...just feels that way in my hand.  I was thinking that the MO is very similar to the Farman Strato-plane I constructed...but even better (imo, of course).  Smiley

Yah know...that Farman had a strange story...constructed by the French to explore high altitude research...initial flight couldn't get any altitude...so they modified a few aspects...and on the next attempt, it crashed on takeoff, killing both of its crewmen!  That was the end of the project!  So what does Comet do...but design and market a model of it!  Huh Roll Eyes Cool  I believe their inspiration was a pre-flight article that appeared in Popular Science Magazine describing all the great achievements that were to come....  Anything "aviation" in those days, was a BIG seller.

Well (Jack Benny)...MO-1 certainly did better than that.  Smiley

Neal

(102 KB | 17 )
Comet_Stratoplane__Farman_F_1000__6_001.jpg
(48 KB | 23 )
Comet_Stratoplane__Farman_F_1000__8.jpg
IP Logged

Reply #28 - Mar 25th, 2020 at 3:56pm

scigs30   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
San diego

Looking good as usual, keep up the strong work enjoy watching your builds.

IP Logged

Reply #27 - Mar 25th, 2020 at 12:49pm

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Still creeping along...slow but sure. 

USS Utah...by December 7, 1941 her days of glory were over...even her five gun turrets had been removed...she was virtually unarmed.  There were wooden boxes constructed over the turret mounts to keep the weather out...but the Japanese in their zeal mistook them for the real deal.  Five torpedoes were launched at her...one missed...three hit home...and one hit the Raleigh.  Like Arizona and Oklahoma, USS Utah died in combat...a sad but fitting end to a glorious legacy.  At least the scrap man didn't get her.  She's still at her mooring, along with Arizona, at Pearl.

Neal

(58 KB | 28 )
Martin_MO-1_P1190404.jpg
(143 KB | 26 )
USS_Utah.jpg
(91 KB | 18 )
Ford_Island_Chiefs_MESS_USS_UTAH_BB-31_CPO_SER__296_USN_Chief.jpg
IP Logged

Reply #26 - Mar 24th, 2020 at 8:32am

New Builder   Offline

Quote:
Good looking fiddling, if you ask me

Couldn't agree more, you have given fiddling new meaning and from the looks of it it is turning out very well.
Mike

IP Logged

Reply #25 - Mar 23rd, 2020 at 6:29pm

Craig 3   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
West Virginia, USA

Good looking fiddling, if you ask me! I'd be OK with sitting this out at the building table, but apparently my shop is "essential."

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print