Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Stick and Tissue Logo

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How to make a Ree's constructed wing (Read 113 times)
Reply #6 - Mar 26th, 2020 at 11:23am

MKelly   Offline
Helotes, TX

Sorry to hear about your ice-dancing injury Mike - hope recovery is going smoothly.  Look forward to seeing your progress on the Dart.

Mike

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Mar 26th, 2020 at 7:17am

New Builder   Offline
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada

I like the flat lamination method as well but the creation of the laminating form put me off as carving and shaping is one of my real weak spots and the sheet lamination method let me get to work much more quickly. I also reasoned that after covering it would not be a big point. Just a note here on covering, it gives a huge boost to the overall robustness of the wing. I kept the original wing from the Dart and left out the truss and am using it for covering and color trials and it is very rigid. I'll be posting more pics of the Dart soon. I'm getting over a shoulder injury after an imprompto skating accident on the ice on our driveway a couple weeks back and am getting back into the game and will post soon, maybe tomorrow.
Mike

"Skill comes by the constant repetition of familiar feats rather than by a few overbold attempts for which the performer is yet poorly prepared." Wilbur Wright
IP Logged

Reply #4 - Mar 25th, 2020 at 2:30pm

MKelly   Offline
Helotes, TX

Thanks for that link Mike - I like the flat lamination idea for reasonably-sized wings.  Reviewing Tom Hallman (Maxfliart on YouTube) and Mike Stuart's Rees wing builds they laminate thin sheets over a form to get the airfoil shape, then slice ribs off of that with the grain.  I'm thinking to do the same as this will be a 56" span x 6+" chord wing.

Mike

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Mar 25th, 2020 at 12:30pm

New Builder   Offline

Hi Mike - I found the link that Tom had posted some time back for a sliced rib template.
Click here:
https://www.stickandtissue.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1567628106

This template cuts ribs along the grain and I had to remake the wing for my Culver Dart because of the weakness on the ribs. To solve that I sanded two pieces of 1/32 and laminated them together with my usual building glue. This made the ribs much stronger and could handle the wing a bit more like a traditional cut rib and spar wing.
Mike

"Skill comes by the constant repetition of familiar feats rather than by a few overbold attempts for which the performer is yet poorly prepared." Wilbur Wright
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Mar 24th, 2020 at 1:48pm

MKelly   Offline
Helotes, TX

This was a timely reminder.  I'm adapting a bigger model from an old Cleveland plan at the moment and have been considering doing a Rees-style wing to keep the weight down.

Mike

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Mar 24th, 2020 at 9:11am

New Builder   Offline

Tom - Thanks for the link. I used the link you posted some time back as to cutting the rib pieces and used Dave Rees' plans and some pics from Maxfliarts for methods and built the wing for the Fang and the Culver Dart. They come out a bit fragile but when covered are very strong. Also gave me a good lesson in keeping my fingers where I know they are, the ribs break easily.
Mike

IP Logged

Mar 23rd, 2020 at 1:20pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

I found a link on HPA to Mike's Flying Scale Model pages show a tutorial on how to build a light strong wing using the Dave Ree's construction process.  It's a great tutorial clearly explaining the process: Click Here for Ree's Wing

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print