Yak-7_022.jpg

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!
IP Logged

Reply #10 - Mar 26th, 2020 at 12:44pm

bigrip74   Offline
Administrator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

Neal, no expertise. I'm more of a shade tree mechanic/hack builder. I pickup more tips to improve here.

The tissue that I ordered back on 3/12/20 just arrived or I went to he PO to pick it up.

Never received a notice that it had arrived 3/16/20, but after a long line wait its here now.

(269 KB | 6 )
TISSUE_001_001.jpg
(330 KB | 3 )
TISSUE_002_001.jpg

IP Logged

Reply #9 - Mar 26th, 2020 at 8:28am

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Wow! That went together fast, Bob, in spite of the issues you've encountered!  Must be due to a lot of experience and expertise.  Looks real-good, too! Smiley

Terry's an expert at tissue camo...we all recall his AVG P-40 (same time you constructed your exquisite TAR-HEEL).  Now as for me...I'd have cheated and sprayed that camo.  Grin

Just a note: Soviets seemed to place national insignia on the wing undersides...but not topside...more concerned with ground-fire than being mistaken from the air, I suppose.  I should have thought sight of that big RED STAR out on the wing would have been inspirational for a pilot.  Of course...modeler's license may be in order here.  Wink 

You're doin' GREAT, Bob!  Keep on buildin'...truckin'.  Smiley

Neal

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Mar 25th, 2020 at 11:26pm

bigrip74   Offline
Administrator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

Sky9pilot wrote on Mar 25th, 2020 at 11:23pm:
Bob, did you scan the FAC newsletter plan and then print it?  If so that's probably your reason for the miss match of the parts!  Too easy to do that.  Looks like you've handled it well though! Smiley

YEP! scanned it  at 8.5 x11" that's how big my scanner will go.

I guess from now on Ill just build on the plan that comes  in the FAC, I was afraid to damage those pages, but I no longer use T-pins.

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Mar 25th, 2020 at 11:23pm

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

Bob, did you scan the FAC newsletter plan and then print it?  If so that's probably your reason for the miss match of the parts!  Too easy to do that.  Looks like you've handled it well though! Smiley

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #6 - Mar 25th, 2020 at 10:24pm

bigrip74   Offline
Administrator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

Neal, stated to look in the Squadron/Signal Yak book and I found a scheme that I liked.

LIGHT BLUE bottom.
BLACK/GREEN top.

Its been a three maybe four years since Ive done a camo job. Terryman taught me to take two differ color tissue sheets and draw an over size of the part to be covered. Cut both pieces out at the same time. Take scissors and cut the pattern out while both sheets, one on top of the other. Match the cuts, place the darker tissue over the lighter about a 1/16 to an 1/8 place lighter on a piece of paper then using a glue stick run it on top that 1/16. Take the piece of tissue off the backing paper lay it down then place the lighter color tissue over the 1/16 edge and carefully press. Repeat until the pieces cover the area needed.

(322 KB | 7 )
Yak-7_009.jpg
(285 KB | 8 )
Yak-7_010.jpg
(361 KB | 8 )
Yak-7_011.jpg
(221 KB | 8 )
Yak-7_012.jpg
(252 KB | 7 )
Yak-7_013.jpg
(323 KB | 10 )
Yak-7_014.jpg

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Mar 25th, 2020 at 9:35pm

bigrip74   Offline
Administrator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

I like the outcome, but the build was not without frustration.

1. The fuselage box and tail end did not match up. I had to keep making adjustments.
2. The wing was a lot of work, the spar, TE, and LE did not match up so more adjusting.
3. The wing did not match the saddle front and back so I will need to add more wood.
4. Maybe it was how the plan printed out.

Here are the bones.

(294 KB | 7 )
Yak-7_005.jpg
(333 KB | 6 )
Yak-7_006.jpg
(291 KB | 5 )
Yak-7_007.jpg
(278 KB | 6 )
Yak-7_008.jpg

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Mar 25th, 2020 at 1:15am

bigrip74   Offline
Administrator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

Thanks guys for the comments. Neal I have that Squadron/Signal book. I will go with light blue bottom and black and green top.

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Mar 24th, 2020 at 11:42am

Kerak   Offline
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Roy, Utah

Very nice choice for a build, Bob...love the Yak fighters of WW2.  They really were quite unique and successful...and very typical Soviet in their design (simple, no-frills, easy to maintain).  They were largely fabric-covered, and yet strong and robust...and heavily armed.  All versions were very similar...engine changes...cut the rear decking down (increased visibility)...a real staple of the Red Air Force.

I always eye-balled them as a perfect easy-build rc project...and so I put it to the test (as if it were a large rc model) and constructed a peanut with slab-sides using mostly 1/32" sheet balsa...oh, and a Clorox bottle 3-bladed prop.

There's a Squadron/Signal booklet on the Yak...lots of color schemes to choose from.  You're gonna love this one! Wink Smiley

Neal

(95 KB | 22 )
Yakolev_Yak_9.jpg
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Mar 24th, 2020 at 11:37am

Sky9pilot   Offline
Administrator
Stick & Tissue
Kelso, WA 98626 USA

I was looking at the Yak as well...might be fun to do a cookup sometime with one of Mike's plans.  I might join you with the Yak if I can finish up the Fang and Comet!!!

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Reply #1 - Mar 24th, 2020 at 11:28am

pb_guy   Offline
So I'm just a kid at heart.
Youbou, BC, Vancouver Island

You certainly are becoming prolific with these projects, Bob. I saw that one in the latest issue as well. I'm sure it will look great when finished.
ian

IP Logged

Mar 23rd, 2020 at 9:27pm

bigrip74   Offline
Administrator
What did l do this time!
Austin, Texas

Austin, is in a stay in place quarantine plus my apt office is closed to any traffic or postal delivery. So I am sorta out of luck in obtaining certain items needed for several builds that are ongoing.

Tom suggested that I use a vac to keep dust down while I turn a piece of 1/16 into 1/32 for my T-34, but being rather lazy I just started another Dime Scale build.

The latest FAC magazine came with several plans and this Mike Nissise Yak-7 dime scale caught my eye. It looks like an old Comet dimer.

(309 KB | 20 )
Yak-7_001.jpg
(306 KB | 16 )
Yak-7_002.jpg

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print