Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic magnet boards (Read 5191 times)
Marc
2 Star Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Re: magnet boards
Reply #7 - Mar 16th, 2012 at 7:17am
Print Post  
In my experience the ceramic magnets have not proved themselves for smaller models .  It seems just where you need to put a magnet, it won't stay because of attraction or repelling to another magnet. 

They also move out of place fairly easy...push a little too hard in one spot, the magnets move and the structure is out of alignment.  I usually have to use more magnets to reinforce. 
I think the are much easier to use on larger models.  I will probably use them a lot on Midkiff's P-51.

If I REALLY need something to stay put, like where wood is going to bend, I still use pins, for small models anyway.

I don't know, maybe I am doing something wrong.

IP Logged

jeff
3 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #6 - Aug 29th, 2008 at 5:30pm
Print Post  
Those little magnets are very strong, I use them for holding the wing on an rc plane, wing is removable for access to the gear but it helps in a crash, the wing will usually come off without much damage.    jeff

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

C.L. Chennault
Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #5 - Aug 28th, 2008 at 9:46pm
Print Post  
I can imagine the strength of those little neodenium cubes! Grin. Probably need a pair of pliers to move them Wink.

John

What does THIS button do?.........
IP Logged

thymekiller
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #4 - Aug 28th, 2008 at 9:41pm
Print Post  
I will probly do like Jeff said. I have a couple of big planes that I want to build so I will need a bigger sheet. Sometimes I have "honeydo" projects that takeup space. Good to know about the cheap magnets. I'm a cheap kind of guy. Wink

eric

",,,The road goes on forever, and the party never ends..."

IP Logged

jeff
3 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #3 - Aug 28th, 2008 at 5:37pm
Print Post  
I have been thinking about trying this also.  But what I was going to do is go to home depot or something, getting a nice piece of cheap metal plate, than buying a good flat sturdy piece of plywood and screwing the plate to it. So its nice and flat you can carry it around etc.   And I also heard weaker magnets are easer to use.   But I am a pin man myself , but I'm going to give it a try.   jeff

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

papa
4 Star Member

Gravity sucks

Reply #2 - Aug 28th, 2008 at 1:18pm
Print Post  
Hi Eric, recently used a magnetic board when constructing my first Pistachio (really must finish it . . .)
anyway back to the magnetic board - was a big success with these small 'uns although I still prefer pins for the bigger ones, they can be a right pain when your fus is only 4" long Tongue

One thing I did learn was not to bother with the posh molywhatsit magnets - they are just too strong. I bought some 3/16" cubes thinking they would be ideal for keeping ribs upright etc. They were. . .only trouble came when I tried to take the buggers off before removing the part; I'll spare you the gory details, but it's cheepo ones for me Cry

To be fair I think the kits all come with the 'right' types - I was buying everything separately.

Craft shops sell good boards for cross stitch patterns; mine is A3 and  was much cheaper than I expected Smiley

Give 'em a try. . .they're good fun (and there is less danger of lost sharp bits if you work in a front room also inhabited by rug rats)

( 127 KB | 2 Downloads )
DCP_1317.JPG

IP Logged

C.L. Chennault
Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #1 - Aug 28th, 2008 at 7:54am
Print Post  
Hi Eric,
A lot of guys are using magnet  boards these days. So they must have their advantages. Pins are OK too Wink
John

What does THIS button do?.........
IP Logged

thymekiller
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

magnet boards
Aug 28th, 2008 at 4:31am
Print Post  
http://airfieldmodels.com/information_source/how_to_articles_for_model_builders/...

Heres a few cool ideas for magnets. I havent used them yet but I think I will give them a try.
Anyboby got any suggestions?

eric

",,,The road goes on forever, and the party never ends..."

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint