Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Scales (Read 1948 times)
thymekiller
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Re: Scales
Reply #4 - Nov 13th, 2008 at 10:10pm
Print Post  
Thank you John Webster. That made me think, there are alot of things around the house that have the weight stamped on them. The penny thing is perfect. Pennys I have, its dollars I'm short on. Grin

eric

",,,The road goes on forever, and the party never ends..."

IP Logged

John Webster
3 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #3 - Nov 13th, 2008 at 6:48am
Print Post  
http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2002/MillicentOkereke.shtml

There are 454 grams in a pound and 16 ounces in a pound so a 1/2 ounce wheel weight should weigh 14.19 grams though I doubt that wheel weights are that accurate.

Some other interesting numbers;

Steel (music wire) is .283 pounds per cubic inch.

Aluminum is .098 pounds per cubic inch.

So a 10" length of .032 music wire weighs .002276 pounds or 1.033 grams, 30" weighs 3.1 grams.

A very succesful engineer I used to work for had two rule of thumb measurements that he used frequently; a stick of butter (1/4 pound) and a Cadillac (5,000 pounds). For the purposes of new product and tooling development these were very good visualization tools. Smiley

When you begin to fly you are issued two bags, one full of luck and an empty one for experience.&&The object is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

IP Logged

thymekiller
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #2 - Nov 13th, 2008 at 6:32am
Print Post  
I'm kinda embaressed about this but here goes:

I played with my scales about a day before I knew what the TARE button was for. Then I saw the instructions on the lid. Brief instructions.
Are there any tips on the care and feeding of elect. scales? Where can I get an official weight to check for acurrate ? I have used triple beams before and once they are "zeroed" they stay that way forever. Is it the same with these little pocket scales?
How acc. can I expect them to be? Are the pricey ones that much better?
eric

IP Logged

papa
4 Star Member

Gravity sucks

Reply #1 - Nov 10th, 2008 at 1:43pm
Print Post  
I know what you mean Eric. . .hours of fun. . .I wonder if this weighs more than that?
Roll Eyes

IP Logged

thymekiller
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Scales
Nov 10th, 2008 at 6:27am
Print Post  
Got my cool new scales yesterday.  Cool Odd that they arrived yesterday because that was sunday. Hand delivered by a neighbor from a block away. .....
Anyweigh. Cool new scales say that my Paul Bradley is 7.72 grams without a motor but with a prop. Hope its correct. After work tonite I will use m.c.n.s. to weigh everything in my room. YEA!!
Camera has gone goofy on me so no pic till later . I got it off evilbay for 16 $ free shipping. Should have done it a long time ago.
It came with cheapo bats, will I need to re-calibrate when they die? Will they die? OHH. I wonder how much they weigh? Grin

eric

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint