Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Indoors in Springfield. (Read 25282 times)
thymekiller
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Re: Indoors in Springfield.
Reply #21 - Jun 10th, 2011 at 5:20am
Print Post  
Got to fly indoors yesterday.   Found out there is a mixed blessing with that.  The A/C works pretty well.  Mostly it vents into the kiddie pool and that's where I fly.  Made for some crazy flights. Grin Grin

Tried a bigger prop on the Javelin, but was too heavy, I think.  Again, with the unpredictable blast, it is hard to say.  Mainly, I could not move the wing forward enough to balance because the wing perch did not extend that far.  Will repair that this week, and will re-cover at least where I blew out the sides.  My new loading stick worked well in the field and I think I will install a window on the fuse so I can see while loading a motor.  

Have been trying to repair a bad warp on the Born loser, and am hoping that next week, she will be ready.  If not, I will have to replace the stab.

My Ikara prop was broken and I tried model cement.  CA wont stick to it.  The model cement might, but it didnt set up in time.  The real answer is to replace it.

Well, I did it. I got myself a vapor.  Have to admit, the R/C bug has been biting pretty hard.

I took the T'craft for show and tell.  Got alot of complements and most wondered what motor I was gonna install.  I told them a rubber one and got some funny looks.  Gonna see about getting the prop mounted soon.  Problem is the weather has not been good for outdoor flying at all, R/C or free flight.   Its either windy, wet, or both.  I am soooo happy I have an indoor place to fly, but I would like a chance to fly a bigger plane.   I need to quit whinning and be happy with what I have.  Got to say tho, the weather was weird last year and is worse this year.   Sure does kinda take the wind out of your sails when most of your craft is grounded.

Oh, I am starting to develop a nickname.   Some are calling me "That rubber guy"  Grin     Also, I decided to sell the Nissan the  "as is"  and fix the mini van next.  Its hard to pack the bigger stuff in the Mazda truck and momma does NOT want a camper shell.  Didn't realize how large and delicate the T'craft was till I tried to stick it in the front seat of a mini truck.  Doesn't fit very well in the Nissan either.

",,,The road goes on forever, and the party never ends..."

IP Logged

thymekiller
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #20 - May 19th, 2011 at 5:45pm
Print Post  
I can't believe my luck. Angry 
I decided my rubber was too unstable.  It is starting to wind unreliable and sometimes I see tiny cracks when I stretch it.  Stored it wrong.  Oh well, that box was over a year old any way.  Huh
Anyway,  I just went today too see my buds and maybe get some pics.  It was raining [AGAIN Angry}   Figured on lots of folks. 
WRONG !!!  Nobody hardly showed up and the part I fly in was empty all day.  I could have had a whole field to myself all day.     RATS!!!! Grin 
Anyway,  I got to meet and spend some time talking with some of the senior  flyers.  It was kinda nice.  Quiet, you know.   Peaceful.  Cool Cool

Tom Beyer is in his 80's.  He has been building since he was 8.   When I mentioned the names of a few oldtimers, his eyes got alittle wider and he said he hadn't heard those names since he was a kid. 
He built it form a plan.  He couldn't remember the name.  He traced the outlines and TAADAA!   It really looks good in the air.   

This plane was photoed last time I went and I have lost those notes, sorry.  I don't have the mans name.  The plane is a restored model he built maybe 20 years ago.  Had a gas motor back then.  One advantage to a sailplane is 30 seconds of power will get you many MINUTES of flight.  If your bat will give you 15 minutes of power, you could fly all day.   With or without a thermal.   

The rest are for sale. None of them are complete, but he also has MANY bags of micro servos, esc,  bats,  motors,  ect.    Contact me if interested. 

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #19 - May 7th, 2011 at 11:15am
Print Post  
Thyme...

Sounds like fun....would love to see a ducted fan model fly in person.  I have several models of the early jets that I'd love to make into ducted fans someday....

Look forward to videos...

Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

thymekiller
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #18 - May 5th, 2011 at 7:53pm
Print Post  
Went flying again.  The room was filled with helis.  I got in a couple decent flights, but nothing serious.  I got to watch a guy fly a twin fan fan jet outside.   That thing screams!!!!! 
My wife is on vacation and she went with me.  That was fun.
In order to get more air time, I need to add more rubber, I think.  I tried all the different props and only one will pull it without flipping it over. Grin

Of course, I broke the good one.  Oh well.  Next week I hope to fly the Born Loser.  I might need new rubber.  Mine broke early twice.  Will look at it later.

Will be going to the club fly in this weekend. I hope to bring back some vids and pics.

IP Logged

thymekiller
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #17 - Apr 28th, 2011 at 7:30pm
Print Post  
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4h5iqb_TUxc

Went indoor flying today.  YIPEE !!!!!  Had the entire back half to myself for over an hour.   Silly me forgot to bring the stick to load a motor into the Javelin, SOOO I got out the profile p-40.   Haven't flown it for quite awhile.   I have a set of Icara props and apparently, ca wont stick to them.  The little one is breaking along the spine.   So I played with different rubber sizes and lengths and the next size up on props.  Worked all that out except for one crazy thing.
   Every time I got a decent flight started, she would suddenly start to bounce around and sink. Twice, she stopped dead in her tracks and turned around, then sank.! Shocked  I had to readjust the nose weight because of the different prop and could not figure out why that could be it.  Checked the prop and tail 15 times.   Grin  It was stable as could be and then PRESTO a fish on the bank flopping madly!!!
  Then somebody came in with a Vapor.  While playing with mine and watching theirs, I saw the Vapor do the same thing.   Of course with R/C you can save a dive.   Turns out today was the day for a spring shakedown of all the vent systems in the building.  Barn door sized access doors were opened and closed.  A/C on and off.  Heat on and off.  Then do it all again.  Oh well.  Now I know that the A/C might be alive this summer.  That's cool.   I also know where the vents are and what they sound like.  
 In the vid, you see a gentle, stable left climb until it fell off to the right and never really recovered.   Before I make any drastic changes, I will try again.   Cant complain about maintenance guys doing their job when you have a free place to fly.  
Overall I had a wonder time.   REALLY looking forward to next week.   Will try to take the loading stick and camera tri pod.  Embarrassed            

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #16 - Feb 27th, 2011 at 5:32pm
Print Post  
I've found a few Legal Eagle planes and am getting the Alibi plans from the sight I posted at HPA.  I've already started the Peanut Piper Vagabond so I hope to have something to try indoors at the church asap.  Your last post reminded me that the Born Loser "Lavender Tink" would probably work indoors....had forgotten about her, she is up on the bookcase above all the rest of the models, stick and tissue and CLG's.

My son has a video camera but I don't have the least idea how to post one.  But learning is what keeps the mind young Shocked  Roll Eyes Grin

I'll keep you posted.

Tom

IP Logged

thymekiller
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #15 - Feb 25th, 2011 at 5:49am
Print Post  
Got in a few flights before the masses showed up. Mostly the same. I tried using a longer motor so that I could stay away from the "burst" and get more cruise time. I think the weight of the rubber canceled out the goal. Next week I will try a smaller motor and a bigger prop. Will post specs in the Javelin thread.

Have decided to go with a Prairie Bird for indoor and a one night 28 for outside. If the bird works well, I might do another as 3 channel r/c.
I cant seem to straighten out the tail feathers on my born loser or the Paul Bradley warhawk. May have to get drastic!!!!
Will post some of the vids but they are all on u-tube. Turns out alot of folks really want to see their stuff online so they can show their friends. Some folks are NOT camera shy.......
I will post here the stuff that is special, but there is no point in posting 75 vids of vapors. Grin  If you search thymekiller on u-tube , you will find the rest.
Tom, I think you are correct about moving the wing on that delta. Thing is, Kenny uses ca for mostly everything. He has built several planes and gets distracted, one from another. I try to focus on one at a time. I think both styles have their advantages. One thing we have in common is that we cant get excited about ordinary, store bought planes. Not saying I wont have a few, but it is way more fun for me to see MY work in the air, not something I bought from china.

I would really like to see you build and fly indoors. I think you could enjoy that when you cant fly outdoors. Any slow flier would do and if your alone, you don't have to worry about what radio you are using.  

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #14 - Feb 19th, 2011 at 7:30pm
Print Post  
Eric,

Really enjoying the videos....Those Vapors floating aroung look sweet.  and the first video with the delta mylar wing looked like fun.  I thought that just sliding the wing back a bit would solve the cg problem. 

Makes me want to take my heli apart and fix up a floater to fly around in the church's fellowship hall. Not nearly as large as your site but it is indoors away from the rain and wind that has been blowing around here for the past week. 

I think maybe even the Piper Vagabond might even work as a light floater with electric rc gear and a bit of tweaking of the flying surfaces.

Keep the great stuff coming and get something of your own in the air....soon. Wink Wink Cool

Tom

IP Logged

thymekiller
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #13 - Feb 18th, 2011 at 6:47am
Print Post  

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #12 - Feb 18th, 2011 at 12:16am
Print Post  
Thyme...

I'm sure you've already seen this thread...but for indoor the Piper Vagabond would be a quick build and perfect for the indoor site.

http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_forum/index.php?topic=585.90

The HPA plans have the Vagabond and you can download them and print, I think on 8.5X14 paper. 

Roman's looks great and there are a lot of potential schemes.

Tom

IP Logged

thymekiller
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #11 - Feb 17th, 2011 at 1:14pm
Print Post  
Not such a great day for me as far as flying. Blew out two motors and need to make repairs. No big deal, Its just something I gotta do before I fly it again. Also, there was a fairly large turn out today, so the "kiddy pool" was crowded. They all set down for me to fly, which was very cool of them to do for a stranger, but I didn't do so great. Oh well , next time, right? Right.

Anyway, i got some decent vid to show as soon as I get it fixed up. Some are very cool. One was a foam eagle. That's right, shaped like one and everything. Made out of sheet Styrofoam. There was another shaped like a powered hang glider. The milar wing was on a pedestal. It was home built and he was working out the bugs. At one point, we counted 9 Vapors floating around. They tried to fly in formation, but , well, you know...... Cheesy  There was a tremendus wind out side, so I guess the big room was a little bit drafty. There was no effect in the smaller room. I wonder what will happen this summer when they turn on those GIANT fans.
I do need to trim to fly left. Nobody really knows why they all seem to fly left, its just the way it is. I can trim for that too. Nobody wants a head on. 
Anyway. I am really torn up on this issue about what to build next. Right now is the time to build an indoor plane, but there are a couple outdoor units that are just screaming at me from my room. In fact, I can hear them a little bit right now.  Grin  Right now, I am leaning towards the C-maid. That will probably change by tonight. lol Maybe a C-maid with shark teeth..........

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #10 - Feb 11th, 2011 at 3:51pm
Print Post  
I soooo want an indoor site.  I love the videos....more please of the next meeting.

Great fun.  I have the little yellow helicopter.  Lots of fun in the living room.  But a bigger place would be great fun.

Get the profiles going as well.

Tom

IP Logged

thymekiller
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #9 - Feb 11th, 2011 at 8:12am
Print Post  
Found one. Not sure why, but the indoor soccer place has allowed anyone who wants to to come fly indoors on tuesday and thursday mornings. Free. How great is that?
So far its all r/c planes. You have to have an AMA number because of the insurance. Turns out you dont need to join a club but I did anyway.
http://www.springfieldrcclub.com/
Pretty good bunch of folks so far. I plan to fly r/c planes and they will help me. So far I have crashed maybe half a dozen trying to fly and learn by my self.
Any way.
I will post pics and vids of the events . If any of you are in town on those days, come on by.
You dont have to join anybody at all to fly free flight rubber. I think the AMA helped set this deal up and 50 bucks a year is a real bargain. I had been pricing warehouse space but couldnt find any thing I liked and could afford. This place is heated and has that fake grass on the floor. There are two rooms you can choose from. A full field or the half field. Most of the little planes use the half field and the bigger faster 3-d stuff is in the big room.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTJ8IfZVENU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyOvybquMxY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4B3Aa-3CcU
I will post more and better vids as I learn to do this. How about that canard? Pretty cool huh? He built it from plans. Soon as its finished, I will post a vid. Its covered it saran wrap. It is attached with 3m spay adhesive. He bent those outlines with heat. I did not know you could bend such a thick piece. I would laminate something like that. It do not show in the vid but his workmanship is pretty good. You can tell its not his first build. Gotta go for now. Will post again later.

IP Logged

thymekiller
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #8 - Mar 14th, 2010 at 8:27am
Print Post  
Thank you.

IP Logged

Keithhs

Stick & Tissue

Reply #7 - Mar 14th, 2010 at 12:07am
Print Post  
I don't have anything to say, but it says I must have a post if I want to send a PM to thymekiller

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Send TopicPrint