Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Frog Heron Build (Read 13281 times)
Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Re: Frog Heron Build
Reply #24 - Feb 24th, 2010 at 11:19am
Print Post  
Bill,
Thanks for the comments...looking forward to the kit!  Hope to do you proud with it.  Will do a build thread here to keep you in the build loop.

Regards,
Sky9pilot
Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

BillParker
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #23 - Feb 23rd, 2010 at 11:13am
Print Post  
The only way to do that corsair...

Looks like I sent that plane to the right guy...

bp

William H. Parker Jr. (Bill Parker)
President, Parker Information Resources
http://www.parkerinfo.com bparker@parkerinfo.com
IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #22 - Feb 23rd, 2010 at 1:34am
Print Post  
Thyme,
Thanks for the compliments...the stripes I assume you mean the flash on the fuselage.  With red you need a light background so I cut the tissue for the yellow flash oversized a smiggen (real technical term) HA HA Grin approximately the size of the pin stripe to border the yellow.  Then I took the red tissue and glued the top and bottom edges of the tissue onto a piece of 8.5X11 bond paper and made it a smooth as I could before sticking the bottom edge of the tissue.  I then took a steel ruler and cut thin strips of tissue...make more than you need because it always tears or gets twisted and you have to start over.  Once cut approximately 10 or 15 strips...gently separate the tissue from the bond paper which was cut along with the tissue.  I then used gluestick on one side of the tissue and then stuck down one end of of the stripe and gently pulled the strip back to place it straight on the edge of the yellow flash leaving the strip to hang over each end.  I then gently place a razor blade at an angle down where I want to make the cut and pull the loose end up on the other side of the razor to cut the end of the strips. With the red over the yellow it remains bright and make a good break between the yellow and blue.

Takes longer to write this out than it did to just do it Roll Eyes Shocked Grin Thanks again re: the help with the pics...you give good directions...It worked.

I have started the Comet F4U doing it Koutny style ... went a little haywire with the stringers...may have to pluck some of them to get down to a better weight. Embarrassed Embarrassed Lips Sealed Cry Will post pics there (Hip Pocket Aeronautics ... Koutny Cookup) and may start a construction thread here as well. Here's one pic to whet your appetite Grin
Regards,
Sky9pilot

( 85 KB | 53 Downloads )
fuse_bones_lft_side.jpg

IP Logged

thymekiller
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #21 - Feb 20th, 2010 at 8:09pm
Print Post  
Ok dude, I am a punk in your shadow. You have got it. I knew you would.
Love the graphics.
HAHAHAHA! You need to tell us how you did the outline on those strips. THAT was cool!!!!
Nice touch.
Again I say, You have been holding back on us..... Huh
btw, your pics have improved greatly, also.
Excellant work, grasshopper, soon you will advance to the tiger style, then, you will be kung fu KING !!!!!
WHOOHAW!!!!!
Not sure why you or any good people haunt this site. Dam glad you do. Thanks.

",,,The road goes on forever, and the party never ends..."

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #20 - Feb 20th, 2010 at 7:45pm
Print Post  
Greetings All,

Here Iam trying again to load more than one picture...You know the old saying a model is never finished Shocked Well...here I am with more on the Frog Heron.  I neglected to tell you that the rudder sections of the vertical stabs were covered in white tissue and then the red stripes added with Sharpie Permanent Red pen using a cardboard straight edge.
Today I added Snoopy WWI Flying Ace to the vertical stabs and tried Thymekiller's instructions for multiple pics addition.  Here goes Shocked Grin 

Well as I added Snoopy to the vertical stabs the fuselage seemed to need something as well.

Here's Snoopy after modification in Photoshop (so his nose pointed the right way on each side)

Here's some of the flash on the fuselage made from yellow tissue with pinstripes cut from red tissue and gluesticked on .

next view left side

right side

now to see if I followed the directions of Thymekiller well enough Undecided Grin Smiley

Regards to all,
Tom
Sky9pilot

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #19 - Feb 20th, 2010 at 1:25pm
Print Post  
Thymekiller....thanks for the tutoring and comments...
Kasplatt...thanks for the comments look forward to seeing your progress.

The wheels are laminated balsa the center is 1/8 balsa and the two outside donuts are 1/16 then turned on the varible speed hand drill to shape.  Still learning this skill but it's coming.  I used a sanding drum bit from a moto tool with the wheel lightly stuck with cyano in small drops at four opposite points. Just enough to hold it on the bit.   The blue on the axles was just some blue masking tape to hold the wheels on for a temp mockup.  Each wheel has a small brass tube section to act as a bushing...1/32 od from the scrap box. Notice the paper disks used on the latest picture with a drop of cyano outside to hold on the disk and allow the wheels to rotate freely.

I've sealed the tissue with Future Floor Polish (an acrylic finish)  doesn't make it water proof but does ususally srink the tissue and hold it tight.  I'm not pleased with the final fit of the tissue.  I think its a little "saggy" Embarrassed

But I decided to leave off the paper struts on the landing gear to avoid some additional weight... in checking the CG the Heron is a bit tail heavy... will add some clay to the nose and see what happens.  Found some celophane for the cockpit glazing and it tightened up nicely with the hot air gun when I dried the future floor wax on the tissue.  Doesn't smell as strongly as the dope is.  I can't paint inside with the dope and it's too cold outside currently.  In retrospect I think I turned the yellow tissue with the grain running the wrong way (span wise instead of chord wise) when I did the Heron's wing.

Here's a pic of the final results so far...I have a cartoon pic of Snoopy on an Ace of Diamond's card I'm planning to add to the vertical stabs on each outside.  That will finish it up for me.  

Regards,
Tom
Sky9pilot

( 48 KB | 39 Downloads )
finished_right_side_canopy_glazed.jpg

IP Logged

ka-splatt

Stick & Tissue

Reply #18 - Feb 20th, 2010 at 11:39am
Print Post  
Thanks for the response & advice thymekiller and tom - The plan wants you to build the nose from block - which I guess is to counterbalance the heavy tail - hindsight is 20/20 - I used light sheet on the nose, and craft-store balsa for the tail - so the whole thing seems pretty far out of whack.

This thread has energized me - I'm going to work on the tail this weekend.  Either make the tail into swiss cheese or just rebuild it. I love the look of the Heron, very cool plane - it deserves to fly.

Tom the 1939ish color scheme is great.

Pics soon...

-peter

IP Logged

thymekiller
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #17 - Feb 18th, 2010 at 9:16pm
Print Post  
BTW, love those wheels. Is that blue tissiue and glue to keep them on the axles?

IP Logged

thymekiller
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #16 - Feb 18th, 2010 at 8:44pm
Print Post  
It will work. Try again.  Smiley
If your on with photobuckett, copy the last choice in the list. [bottom ]
paste as a link.
copy another, post as another link. Not in browse. You got that part right. You are very close. I went thru this stuff too. Tim the inspector, Steve Price, and Jetplaneflyer helped me out ALOT !!!

left click to make the little window blue. then right click the blue stuff and "copy" . Then paste as a new paragraph.

Left click the box next to "img code" to make the thing turn blue. right click the blue part and copy.  Be sure to hit enter to start a new line on your post. after "paste" hit enter again to start a new line or pic. Hit enter twice, you get a space between your pics.  

Left right copy. Img code. Also, I am set up on photobuckett to make all my pics "600 x what ever" so that you can see them without scrolling. Most sites can handle that except HP. I use thier re-sizer thing on thier site, but still paste from photobuckett.

« Last Edit: Feb 19th, 2010 at 3:32pm by thymekiller »  

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #15 - Feb 18th, 2010 at 7:05pm
Print Post  
Well... I tried the Bill Parker's suggestion with photobucket but was unsuccessful in posting more than one pic... Cry  http://s831.photobucket.com/albums/zz239/Sky9pilot/?action=view&current=uppernos... the "like links" part here's a try

Here's another picture with Lavender Tink in the background (Born Loser)... and thanks for the interest Smiley

Regards,
Tom Akery
Sky9pilot

( 66 KB | 47 Downloads )
rt_frnt_qrtr_with_lavender_tink.jpg

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #14 - Feb 18th, 2010 at 7:00pm
Print Post  
Hi All,

KaSplat... all that I read on the Heron the builders have mentioned the samething...Tail Heavy added lots of nose weight...

I purposely built up the fuselage and horizontal stab to avoid as much weight as possible.  Don McLellan on HipPocketAeronautics said the same about one he built years ago.

I probably should have built up the Vertical stabs as well Embarrassed.  I will just have to see.  Doesn't seem to be very tail heavy at present.  Haven't measured the cg yet so can't truly tell.  Will use a rubber motor of 1.5 times the distance from peg to hook and probably use 1/8 tan rubber.  Not looking for a lot of performance just to see it in the air will be fine.

I'm about 3/4 done need to finish the landing gear struts and wheels painted...and glaze the cockpit.

Here are a couple of pics...

( 78 KB | 84 Downloads )
upper_lft_rear_qrtr.jpg

IP Logged

thymekiller
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #13 - Feb 18th, 2010 at 6:39pm
Print Post  
Welcome aboard, ka-slpatt,
May I ask, how tail heavy was it?

IP Logged

ka-splatt

Stick & Tissue

Reply #12 - Feb 18th, 2010 at 11:33am
Print Post  
I started a Heron a while ago. Stupidly, I built it as per the plan. The bare bones came out so tail heavy that I got discouraged and never bothered to cover it.

I'm looking forward to following your build.

IP Logged

thymekiller
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #11 - Feb 18th, 2010 at 7:04am
Print Post  
Tom, I like those colors. Always have, just havent built one that used them. Nice work, and fast. What motor will you use.

John, thanks for the link.

Bill, If no one else wants it I'll take it. Give it a few days , so others can decide. If not, I will send you a note.

IP Logged

John Webster
3 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #10 - Feb 18th, 2010 at 3:26am
Print Post  

When you begin to fly you are issued two bags, one full of luck and an empty one for experience.&&The object is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint