Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Tether Flying for S&T models (Read 334156 times)
simpleflyer
Ex Member

Re: Tether Flying for S&T models
Reply #17 - Feb 9th, 2012 at 2:05am
Print Post  
After numerous repairs and mods, it survives as a good flyer.

( 14 KB | 59 Downloads )
SC_12-17-11a.JPG

IP Logged

simpleflyer
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Feb 9th, 2012 at 2:01am
Print Post  
After an early hard landing that separated the wing from the fuselage.  It was modified with a detachable wing mount.

( 41 KB | 106 Downloads )
CB_12-20-08M.jpg

IP Logged

simpleflyer
Ex Member

Reply #15 - Feb 9th, 2012 at 1:55am
Print Post  
One more early pic(Oct 08)

( 45 KB | 116 Downloads )
CB__10-21-08acrlgM.jpg

IP Logged

simpleflyer
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Feb 9th, 2012 at 1:49am
Print Post  
Another early picture.(Oct 08)

( 20 KB | 116 Downloads )
CB_10-17-08fclgM.jpg

IP Logged

simpleflyer
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Feb 9th, 2012 at 1:45am
Print Post  
As a swinger it is a great flyer.

( 24 KB | 110 Downloads )
CB_10-17-08eclg.jpg

IP Logged

simpleflyer
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Feb 9th, 2012 at 1:40am
Print Post  
But our back yard was not large enough to be a suitable flying area for a rubber powered model of this size, so it was modified to swing control.

( 54 KB | 108 Downloads )
CB_10-16-08cm.jpg

IP Logged

simpleflyer
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Feb 9th, 2012 at 1:32am
Print Post  
To date, our favorite swing control model has been the CloudBuster and its current evolution.

It began as a kit built Guillows CloudBusted intended for backyard flying with rubber power.

( 24 KB | 106 Downloads )
CB_06-07_07m.jpg

IP Logged

simpleflyer
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Feb 9th, 2012 at 1:23am
Print Post  
Thanks, Eric, for the kind comments about our experiences with tether aka swing control models and for posting the link to the thread at SFA.

Since the SFA is temporarily down, we will share some updates about our swing control models.

We first flew these as a youngster and a few years ago we became reacquainted with them and have continued to pursue this interest.

A summary of these earlier experiences may be found here:

http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_forum/index.php?topic=1209.msg9357;topic...

IP Logged

thymekiller
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #9 - Jun 23rd, 2010 at 4:44am
Print Post  
http://www.smallflyingartsforum.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1223680930/451#451
Simpleflyer was kind enough to share a link to the SFA about tether flying. Havent gotton tru it yet, but working on it. Many interesting craft. Lots of info.
Thanks Simpleflyer.

",,,The road goes on forever, and the party never ends..."

IP Logged

thymekiller
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #8 - May 19th, 2010 at 7:30pm
Print Post  
RMFF, Got it. ! Thanks. That looks cool. Need to get some wood soon and try it. Thanks again.

IP Logged

thymekiller
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #7 - May 16th, 2010 at 5:43pm
Print Post  
Thanks for sharing, Charlieman. Pretty cool.

IP Logged

Charlieman
4 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #6 - May 16th, 2010 at 2:34pm
Print Post  
IIRC, there was an article in an old American Modeler  (mid 1960's?)magazine that showed another type of tether flying. It was called "pole-line",  where a rather long bamboo pole was used to pull a model in a circular flight path. It utilized a rather short line(approx 5'), and instead of attaching to a wing etc., the line clipped to a loop on a free wheeling propeller shaft, to the pole tip. Models were lighter than normal control line types. More intune to rubber FF scale.  I tried with an all sheet Piper Vagabond, I'd built for rubbe.r,  bu t didn't like the way the model looked as it flew around the circle. Always seemed to be angled too much toward me. I suspect it was centrifigal force. I believe the article decribed weighing the outside wing to make the model track level. It didnt work for me and soon abandoned the effort.

In the late 60's/early 70's American Modeler became the AMA publication Model Aviation. Another type of tether flying article appeared about that time. It was an .049 glider (of FF inspired R/c type) of about 5' span. A monofiliment fishing line  was attached to one wing tip. With the model trimmed to moderately climb straight out, a spinning reel and pole allowed launch and payout of line. By slowing line  payout a gentle turn could be initiated and when headed back to pilot position, the line taken back in. I suspect that ground snags were a real worry. like the pole line efforts, it never seemed to catch on.

charlie

IP Logged

thymekiller
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #5 - May 10th, 2010 at 11:45am
Print Post  
No engine? 
Yes, please. I would like a copy. Sounds interesting.
thymekiller@mcshi.com

IP Logged

RMFF
2 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #4 - May 10th, 2010 at 10:40am
Print Post  
Hey guys,

I have a copy of the plans (and the attached construction article) for a Republic F-84G whip control model. Published in American Aircraft Modeler July 1970 magazine. Designed by Joe Wagner (of DAKOTA fame). You use a fishing pole and a control line handle. Built just like a regular control line plane without the engine. Would anyone like a copy?

RMFF

IP Logged

Charlieman
4 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #3 - May 10th, 2010 at 8:16am
Print Post  
When I was a kid, my generally non-modeling buddy used to surprise me, occasionaly. He once brought over a small stick model he had constructed of balsa sheet. It had about a 12" span and a stick fuselage, sheet tail feathers. He had tied a string onto one wing and whipped it around on a 10ft line.  It flew pretty good, so I made one as well. For several days afterward we both made a bunch of quick models and had all kinds of fun, shooting carrier landings and some mild aerobatics. We learned the importance of decalage and other trimming methods to obtain the type of flight we wanted. I don't remember getting dizzy, bu t I was probably already a cl flyer at that time.

About 4-5 yrslater, in HS I found a Muciano book in the school library and built the 1/2A Saber Jet  from one of the many plans (IIRC, Walter Muciano's designs formed the basis for most of the old Scientific Kit line). My younger brother had a brand new Cox Baby Bee, so we put it on my 18"Saber and flew it without control from a pole driven into the front lawn. About a 15' braided fishing line was attached directly to the hardwood bellcrank mount button. We had to hand launch it but it never flew into the ground nor started high/low occilations, my main concerns. It flew level with the top of the pole, about three ft tall. For all intents and purposes it was like running a Cox Prop Rod. The pole proved to be the weak link, as it soon developed an insecure status. Later I converted the model to it's original Cl and believe my brother learned to fly it.

charlie

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 
Send TopicPrint