Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 47 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Tether Flying for S&T models (Read 333537 times)
Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Re: Tether Flying for S&T models
Reply #692 - Jun 29th, 2018 at 11:15am
Print Post  
Just got word down the chain of Al's health downturn.   His wife Norma shared with Bob that he's had and incident that has effected his speech, mental activity and arm.  The doctors diagnose him with "Altered Mental Status",  the other doctor diagnosed him with "Acute Vascular Dimentia".  We'd like to ask our members to remember Norma and Al in their thought and prayers.

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

simpleflyer
Ex Member

Reply #691 - Mar 24th, 2018 at 1:29pm
Print Post  
Thanks for your comment, Tom.  The polyhedral wing is also our favorite.  We're planning to put a longer polyhedral wing on a future version of the Droop Snoot.

Al

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #690 - Mar 24th, 2018 at 10:44am
Print Post  
Sweet...I like both wings but am partial to the polyhedral wing with the raised tips!!

Tom

IP Logged

simpleflyer
Ex Member

Reply #689 - Mar 23rd, 2018 at 10:30pm
Print Post  
Thanks, Bob, I kinda like it, also.  I'm planning to build a version II pretty soon.  Here are a few flight pix.  The first is with its original wing.  The other two are with the Berkeley Powerhouse wing.

Al

( 15 KB | 105 Downloads )
SC_03-18-18c2.JPG
( 34 KB | 128 Downloads )
SC_03-19-18a.JPG
( 21 KB | 121 Downloads )
SC_03-19-18c.JPG

IP Logged

simpleflyer
Ex Member

Reply #688 - Mar 23rd, 2018 at 10:14pm
Print Post  
The fuselage bottom is covered and Droop Snoot is ready to fly with more droop. Smiley

Al

( 43 KB | 144 Downloads )
SC_03-23-18a.JPG

IP Logged

bigrip74
Ex Member

Reply #687 - Mar 23rd, 2018 at 10:14pm
Print Post  
Al, I like the shape of this fuselage. Cannot wait to see it finished and in flight.

Bob

IP Logged

simpleflyer
Ex Member

Reply #686 - Mar 23rd, 2018 at 9:56pm
Print Post  
The cutting operation went well.  Only needed a bit of sanding to smooth of some rough edges.  Now to glue a bit of tissue to cover the bottom of the fuselage.

Al

( 46 KB | 131 Downloads )
SC_03-18-18b.JPG

IP Logged

simpleflyer
Ex Member

Reply #685 - Mar 23rd, 2018 at 9:48pm
Print Post  
After flying Droop Snoot with the 020 in the nose we kinda liked the illusion of flying a model from a long time ago.  However, the models flight pattern was not as smooth as before.  The 020 installation did not have the weight that had been used before.

Rather than add more weight to the nose, we decided to remove some weight from the rear of the model, and see what would happen.  We selected an area shown by the red line and cut it off with a fine tooth saw.

Al

( 44 KB | 115 Downloads )
SC_03-18-18am.JPG

IP Logged

LASTWOODSMAN
5 Star Member

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Reply #684 - Mar 16th, 2018 at 8:44pm
Print Post  
Hi Al.  Thanks so much for all the video links and stories.  Very educational.  You obviously had a lot of fun in your life with aeromodelling.  It really cleared up a lot for me.   Smiley Now I know that half A size is .049 cu in, and quarter A size is .020 cu in engine.    Undecided    The article about the intro of the .020 engine stated that it had a lot of power.  I built a 30" Aeronca and put that .020 engine in it for U Control (Ukie), and the other kids in our Gr 9 Model Flying Club in High School said it would never fly - but IT DID !!!   Wink    I also made a twin hull Catamaran boat with two Cox .049 pusher props and SHE really went!   You really have a great collection of little engines there.   Again thanks for all the videos - great loops by the way!  And Happy Flying!
LWM
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...

IP Logged

simpleflyer
Ex Member

Reply #683 - Mar 16th, 2018 at 1:07pm
Print Post  
Thank you, Richard, Ian, Tom, for your kind posts.  Excuse us for not responding to them earlier,  we're having nice warmer weather so we've been busy with yard work and other tasks and have neglected to keep up with the posts here. 

To answer your questions, Richard, although the models have a Cox 020 attached to the nose.  It is not used as power for the model.  It is simply a nose weight to help in the balance the model.  However, it does have the appearance of Ukie model in flilght.   

In the Control Line section of this forum, I have a thread  about QuarterA Ukies which explains more about this form of model
http://www.stickandtissue.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1471843717/0

Thank you,Tom, for posting video of my flying the Delta Dart.  In this flight the swing pole is pointed upwards and swung so that the model flies in circles above my head.  In another flight pattern the model is swung into the air and the pole is extended in front of me close to parallel with the ground and the pole tip  is moved in small circles.  This causes the model  to fly in a circular path in front of me.  Using a swing line shorter than the swing pole, contact is avoided between the swinger and the model when the models path comes close to the swinger.  This video shows a flight in this manner.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUCMSZhTkK0

Here are a couple of videos with me turning in circles with the model.  We very rarely do this any more, at a  ripe ole age of 78, we try not to engage in risky behavior that could cause a fall Smiley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0OwOtw31qc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IknLqIqcHbI

Hope this answers your questions.

Al

IP Logged

LASTWOODSMAN
5 Star Member

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Reply #682 - Mar 14th, 2018 at 9:42pm
Print Post  
Hi Al - I mean the bigger tether flyers with engines.  "How much fuel do you put in them and how long, and how many laps, do they fly for ?"  I haven't flown a fuel engine model in 46 years.   Smiley  I guess you just fly until the fuel runs out ...  Do you have a link to a couple of videos?
LWM
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #681 - Mar 14th, 2018 at 10:05am
Print Post  
This is one of Al's videos previously posted:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnT2nA6NO9g&feature=youtu.be ;  of him flying a delta dart.
Tom

IP Logged

LASTWOODSMAN
5 Star Member

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Reply #680 - Mar 14th, 2018 at 5:51am
Print Post  
Dizzy is right Ian.  My record at 15 yrs old in my High School Flying Club after school is 46 laps.   Roll Eyes
LWM
Richard

IP Logged

pb_guy
5 Star Member

So I'm just a kid at heart.

Reply #679 - Mar 14th, 2018 at 12:26am
Print Post  
Well, since you are turning in a circle, it isn't too healthy to take on too much (alcohol-based) fuel because you get dizzy enough just keeping the plane in the air without extra help.  Grin
ian

IP Logged

LASTWOODSMAN
5 Star Member

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Reply #678 - Mar 13th, 2018 at 10:25pm
Print Post  
Al - I have a dumb question - how much fuel do you put in them and how long, and how many laps, do they fly for ?
LWM
Richard

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 47
Send TopicPrint