Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Lighting (Read 2248 times)
thymekiller
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Re: Lighting
Reply #4 - Oct 25th, 2011 at 7:58pm
Print Post  
Photoshop is cool, but it's hard to beat a good picture. 
These days I seldom stage my pics, but I should.  The small amount of time it takes makes a BIG difference. 

Muting the flash is an interesting idea.  I might try that.

",,,The road goes on forever, and the party never ends..."

IP Logged

John M Oshust
5 Star Member

I love aero planes...my
wife calls me a wingnut!

Reply #3 - Oct 24th, 2011 at 9:44pm
Print Post  
Agreed.  I have photoshop but never took time to use it in depth.  Still remeber the hours in the darkroom.

So many planes....so little time!

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #2 - Oct 24th, 2011 at 9:20pm
Print Post  
Lighting is a big factor...

JohnO... the Rata looks great with the lighting and cutout...

For most flashes on the camera if it can be bounced off the ceiling or for my camera the flash pops up... I wrap a plain sheet of white paper around it to difuse the light make a softer flash.  If you have portable lights/flood lights placed around the scene helps.

I used to have a black and white darkroom many moons ago...not any more...sooo many things to do so little time and money to do them with.... Grin Shocked Roll Eyes Wink

Several lights are usually better than one light source unless you can place that light source strategically...

Now days if you can afford Photoshop...there's no limit except your knowledge of what the program can do. Tongue Roll Eyes Grin

Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

John M Oshust
5 Star Member

I love aero planes...my
wife calls me a wingnut!

Reply #1 - Oct 17th, 2011 at 9:56pm
Print Post  
I hear what you are saying about lighting.  I was big into B+W pnotography....still have a complete darkroom.  Another cutout and a single high intensity lamp managed this photo.

( 91 KB | 1 Download )
STrat_1.jpg

So many planes....so little time!

IP Logged

C.L. Chennault
Administrator

I love YaBB!

Lighting
May 26th, 2011 at 8:12pm
Print Post  
   Its is cool to take the best pic you can. After all, you put alot of work into that plane, why not display it as best you can?   
   I have found that many smaller lights around the subject , help eliminate shadows and help dissipate wrinkles.  Track lights do well for this but they are costly and don't go with every-ones decor.
   Some folks just add a couple lamps to a room.  Neat thing about small lamps is your choice of lamp shade.  Different colored shades can enhance or downplay certain spots or colors.  If you surround your subjuct with soft light, the colors do not over power each other.  They tend to blend.   One big light overhead and a flash will create shadows and wrinkles where there arnt any.   That will also wash away your darker colors and make your lighter colors JUMP out at you.  Btw, turn off the flash.   
   Some folks go as far as adding a black light to enhance certain shades of white. Ever seen your teeth in a black light photo?   Makes them almost shine in the darkness!   Does the same thing with lettering on a tire or a pilots name by the cowl.      
    Rheostats help alot also.  Back when everybody used incandescent bulbs, it was pretty cool to install as bright a bulb as you could and turn it down to suit your needs.  That way you don't blind yourself or wake up a spouse when you get up in the middle of the night.  They are still pretty cheap to buy and easy to install.  An over exposed photo will wash out the color and detail on your model. 

Anybody have any thoughts?      

What does THIS button do?.........
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint