Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Background (Read 1981 times)
John M Oshust
5 Star Member

I love aero planes...my
wife calls me a wingnut!

Re: Background
Reply #3 - Nov 3rd, 2011 at 7:50am
Print Post  
Lowel Bales the pilot that died attempting to set a speed record in his Bee Gee Z.  The gas cap flew off and smashed the canopy.  Gee if it only had a safety cable!

( 80 KB | 1 Download )
Complete_6_001.jpg

So many planes....so little time!

IP Logged

thymekiller
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #2 - Oct 18th, 2011 at 2:56am
Print Post  
Clever. 
I also like your use of cutouts.  Very lifelike and they give a sense of scale.   I may try that soon.  Thanks.

",,,The road goes on forever, and the party never ends..."

IP Logged

John M Oshust
5 Star Member

I love aero planes...my
wife calls me a wingnut!

Reply #1 - Oct 17th, 2011 at 9:49pm
Print Post  
When I finished my Tin Goose I added a cutout of ADM. Richared E Byrd to comemerate his fight to the S. Pole.  An old bed sheet made the "SNOW"!

( 62 KB | 1 Download )
Byrd_3_001.jpg

So many planes....so little time!

IP Logged

C.L. Chennault
Administrator

I love YaBB!

Background
May 26th, 2011 at 8:56pm
Print Post  
  Look at any pic and you will see background.   Basicly, I use 2 types.

A plain background works well if you are trying to focus attention on just what is in the picture.   In this case the easy way is a bed sheet.  Just hang it on the wall and drap it over a table.  If you "fold the sheet where it meets the table, you will see that and it will look like a bed sheet.  If you allow a gentle curve where it transitions to the table, It will appear as tho there is nothing around your subject except color.   This comes in REAL handy if you "photo shop".   It also helps hide the size.  Be careful what color sheet you use.  Try to pick something soft and neutral.  The point of a solid background is to high light the image, not over power it.   A white plane wont look as good on a white sheet as it would on, say, a light blue or gray.   A black sheet will "dirty" it.   Sometimes you may WANT to mute the color, sometimes not.   

Background is often overlooked.  I am guilty of this most, because I never clear off the desk or care to.  That makes a model look like just a model. 
    Background can do so many things for you.
   A diorama can REALLY help with a scale plane.  The object here is to put your model into context.   Its a big subject and deserves its own thread.
   If you want folks to know the exact size of your plane, place a common object in the pic with it.  A pair of sunglasses, a ruler, a coffee cup.  That kind of thing.  If you want to make your plane appear a different size than it really is, place a "fooler" in the picture.  Landscaping, buildings, cars, all that stuff can be found by railroad enthusiasts.  Whatever you choose, the point is to have something that we all know the size of, but yours is not that size.   A miniature coffee cup will make your plane look bigger.   An oversize cup, will do the opposite.  You can make a fake ruler pretty easy.

Mirror.  A great way to photo more than one view of your plane in the same shot.  You can also make it appear as tho there is more than one of them.  Also a great way to get many angles of light with only one or two bulbs and not double your electric bill.    Small mirrors can be used to "spotlight" certain features or "dim" others.   Again, turn off the flash.

Feel free to jump in with ideas and stories.   Example pics would be great!!! 

What does THIS button do?.........
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint