Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Bostonian Bostang B51 (Read 29174 times)
Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Re: Bostonian Bostang B51
Reply #4 - Apr 2nd, 2012 at 1:16pm
Print Post  
Thanks Eric,

If you're interested in seeing this little bird you can see the prototype   Roman's Bostang B-51 Click Here

Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

C.L. Chennault
Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #3 - Apr 1st, 2012 at 10:50pm
Print Post  
Nice work, Tom.
Thats alot of dihedral. 
Good looking plane.
Now that my confuser is almost fixed, I can get back to following the build thread over there.
I have missed alot, gonna take a minute to catch up.

What does THIS button do?.........
IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #2 - Mar 31st, 2012 at 4:21pm
Print Post  
Several mods made today...the nose shot of the fuselage show how the bottom of the nose wandered too far out...this was rectified with the judicial use of the razor saw and the swelling was reduced...

Then the wing center section was removed and built flat through the use of the razor saw again.... the canopy "A" frames were added and the rear window simulation completed... still have to do the undercarriage and the prop and spinner...running out of the three sheet of balsa I bought here at the craft store...lucky I had some good balsa stick from Alan Cohen... I only broke the longerons four times today as I tried to hold the plane and cememt the various pieces on...and then sanding...this has got to be one of the lightest planes I've ever built...not weighed yet...

I'm sure it'll be heavier than everone else's birds...

Here's the modified mockup shots and a pic of the new wing with flat middle section...

Tom

( 69 KB | 61 Downloads )
wing_lower_view_rear.jpg
( 83 KB | 68 Downloads )
Wing_remake.jpg
( 128 KB | 72 Downloads )
new_wg_mckup_upper_left.jpg
( 70 KB | 64 Downloads )
new_wing_mockup_left_side.jpg
( 73 KB | 71 Downloads )
new_wing_mockup_right_side.jpg
( 45 KB | 67 Downloads )
new_wing_mockup_rear_view.jpg

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #1 - Mar 30th, 2012 at 11:32pm
Print Post  
Here's a few pics of the mockup...just gotta put the components together to see how she looks so far...

Tom

( 59 KB | 59 Downloads )
mockup_of_fuse_horizontal_and_vertical_stabs_nose_view.jpg
( 75 KB | 59 Downloads )
first_bones_mockup_right_front_quarter_b.jpg
( 110 KB | 67 Downloads )
first_bones_mockup_left_front_quarter.jpg

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Bostonian Bostang B51
Mar 30th, 2012 at 11:27pm
Print Post  
Hi Ya'll...

I just fell in love with Roman Groener's Bostang B-51  Bostonian on HPA...  It's a design he made himself.

For anyone who wants to know exactly what the Bostonian Competition rules are, I found this online:

1.  Maximum projected wingspan shall not exceed 16 inches (40.64 centimetres).
   2. Maximum wing chord (measured parallel to the direction of flight) shall not exceed three (3) inches (7.62 centimetres).
   3. The diameter of the propeller(s) shall not exceed six (6) inches (15.24 centimetres).
   4. The length of the model excluding the propeller(s), but including the thrust bearing(s), shall not exceed 14 inches (35.56 centimetres). This measurement will be made in the direction of flight and will include surfaces, which extend beyond the thrust bearing or fuselage end because of a sweep or unusual mounting.
   5. The fuselage structure must include a box, which has minimum dimensions of 1.5 inches x 2.5 inches x 3.0 inches (3.81 centimetres x 6.35 centimetres x 7.62 centimetres). The width (the horizontal dimension perpendicular to the line of flight) of the fuselage shall not exceed three inches (7.62 centimetres). The box must be enclosed within the fuselage structure and must be covered so as to restrict free air movement through the box. Normal sag of the framework between supports caused by the tension of the covering will not be considered as a violation of this rule.
   6. The fuselage structure must be built-up so that the longitudinal members (the longerons) support the forces produced by the rubber motor. A solid or hollow motor stick with a lightweight structure added on is not acceptable.
   7. The fuselage must have a transparent windshield and side windows of at least one (1) square inch (6.45 centimetres area each). An open cockpit design need not have side windows. But the windshield must meet the one (1) square inch rule (6.45 square centimetres) and must stand at least 3/4 inch (1.905 centimetres) above the top of the fuselage.
   8. The model must have at least two (2) wheels of at least 3/4 inch (1.905 centimetres diameter, each on a separate leg, which rotate freely and support the model for takeoff and landing.
   9. All flying surfaces must be covered on both sides or must be solid material with a thickness of at least 1/16 inch (1.58 mm) at the maximum point in each chord wise element.
  10. The total projected area of the secondary horizontal surface(s), excluding that inside the fuselage, shall not exceed 24 square inches (154.8 square centimetres). This may be a conventional stabilizer and/or a canard surface.
  11. The airframe, excluding the rubber motor(s), shall weigh at least seven (7) grams.

It's a great carricature of the P-51B and Roman has it flying very well... check out his videosClick Here

You'll want to check out his Bostonian Porter also...

Here's the start of the Bostang B-51 started with the fuselage first...hate the fuselage construction...especially box style trying to get the sides strait and even Lips Sealed Embarrassed  Here's the sides built on top of each other then the sides joined then I built the vertical fin and rudder...followed by the horizontal stab Embarrassed forgot to take a pic of this in process...then the wing laying down the leading edge, trailing edge and bottom of cracked rib...then the spar and top cracked rib then the 1/16 sq turbulator across the top of the rib between spar and leading edge...then added dihedral of 2 inches under both wingtips... still have the landing gear and details to add to canopy...

( 86 KB | 72 Downloads )
start_of_fuselage_side_a.jpg
( 148 KB | 64 Downloads )
second_side_over_1st.jpg
( 149 KB | 72 Downloads )
building_box_fuselage.jpg
( 85 KB | 75 Downloads )
laying_out_the_main_wing_c.jpg
( 176 KB | 58 Downloads )
vertical_fin_and_rudder.jpg
( 86 KB | 58 Downloads )
adding_dihedral_to_wing_panels.jpg

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint