Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Crosswind kites as a flying alternative (Read 5869 times)
Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Re: Crosswind kites as a flying alternative
Reply #8 - May 19th, 2012 at 10:39am
Print Post  
Thanks Dave for the offer...that'd be a real treat...  Maybe one day....

Happy landings,

Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Dave L
2 Star Member

Reply #7 - May 18th, 2012 at 8:27pm
Print Post  
Hi Tom,

A vacation sounds nice!  I was going to say if you can make it out to Berkeley sometime, you could try flying one of my kites, but it sounds like that will have to wait.  My wife and I have been flying there every Sunday afternoon.  Have a good trip,

Dave

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #6 - May 18th, 2012 at 3:12pm
Print Post  
Dave,

Thanks for the update...too bad about the crash.  I look forward to your next model...

Getting ready to go on vacation so won't be building for about a month.  But will keep up with activities here.

Regards,
Tom

IP Logged

Dave L
2 Star Member

Reply #5 - May 18th, 2012 at 1:25pm
Print Post  
Tom & Eric,

Sorry,  I just figured out which yellow kite you were referring to.  In the powerpoint presentation my dad gave at the Airborn Wind Energy Conference a couple of years back, he had a slide of the one of the two hand-held kites that I flew for the article in Smithsonian magazine in 1982.  This is the remaining kite.  The other one I had flown for over an hour straight at night for the photo shoot, and I was so relieved when the photographer said we were done that I stopped concentrating and dove the other yellow kite straight into the ground.  It was not salvageable. 

My dad built these kites.   They have a 30" wingspan with 1/8"x1/4"  spruce spars top and bottom, sheeted leading and trailing edges, capped ribs, sheeted body with rolled top & bottom, built-up tail, and all covered in monocote.  It's built like a lot of the gliders of that time.

The line adjustment is done with 1/8" piano wires that slide fore and aft with clamps at the spar to adjust them.  Heavy, but allows for fine tuning. 

I've been meaning to measure the decalage on that kite.  It uses a semi-symmetrical airfoil on the wing, and symmetrical stab.  The stab is very large, kind of like control line planes.  I don't think the incidence on it is directly applicable to the Guilllow's models because of the different airfoils and very different stab sizes, but I"m curious.

I have 3 more wings built at that time, one of which is covered I have flown some using simple profle bodies.  I'm sure I'll build them up at some point, but I got going on the Guillow's planes and enjoyed that.

Dave

IP Logged

C.L. Chennault
Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #4 - May 13th, 2012 at 12:38am
Print Post  
I also like the look of the yellow plane.
Would love more info, please.

What does THIS button do?.........
IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #3 - May 11th, 2012 at 10:22pm
Print Post  
Dave L wrote on May 11th, 2012 at 8:00pm:
Tom,

I always covered larger control-line planes with wet Silkspan, so now I'm using that technique with some very interesting Japanese paper.  I'll post about that sometime soon.

Dave

Thanks Dave,

I look forward to you sharing your process.  I don't know if you have video capabilities ...but if you do we'd love to have you share that with us in the video section, here's the link: http://www.stickandtissue.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?board=jfghgdbe

Looking forward to your gliders being shared with us....I was intrigued by the yellow plane in one of the links you shared in the welcome section.  Looked quite robust....

Tom

IP Logged

Dave L
2 Star Member

Reply #2 - May 11th, 2012 at 8:00pm
Print Post  
Tom,

Yeah, it's way above my math level, too!  But the application to models isn't any harder than getting planes to fly in free flight, just different. 

By the way, that's a great hanger collection you have, especially the covering!  I've never been able to cover with tissue like that.  I always covered larger control-line planes with wet Silkspan, so now I'm using that technique with some very interesting Japanese paper.  I'll post about that sometime soon.

Dave

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #1 - May 11th, 2012 at 10:28am
Print Post  
WOW...Dave,

Thanks for sharing the informationa and links...Most of the details are above my math levels, but the overall concept is amazing.  I can see great potential in this concept. 

I look forward to seeing how you control your models.  I see that in one instance you used radio control with elevator and rudder for control....   I assume that the Makani kites use radio control also.  Very interesting material....thanks again for sharing all this with us.  I look forward to your additional posts.

Tom

IP Logged

Dave L
2 Star Member

Crosswind kites as a flying alternative
May 10th, 2012 at 9:35pm
Print Post  
As I posted yesterday in the Who Are You section, I worked on a project with my dad about 30 years ago to develop airplane-shaped kites as a means of power generation.  I present this in connection with my current modeling interest: building and flying Guillows 400 series warbirds as high-speed kites.  This post is intended as further background to the concept. 

Over a period of two or three years in the late 1970's to early 1980's, my dad and I built and flew a variety of airplane-shaped models, from under 2 foot span to 6 foot RC planes, as either double or single-line kites.  As a result of that flight testing and much computer time on a very primitive home computer, an article called Crosswind Kite Power was published in the Journal of Energy:

http://homes.esat.kuleuven.be/~highwind/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Loyd1980.pdf

A company called Makani Power got interested in this work, hired my dad as a consultant and has continued to pursue research in large-scale power generation using kites.  Here is Saul Griffith, then leader of Makani, in 2009:

http://www.ted.com/talks/saul_griffith_on_kites_as_the_future_of_renewable_energ...

Here's Makani now:

http://www.makanipower.com/

The genesis of the original Crosswind Kite Power article is described in a talk at Stanford in 2010 at the airborne wind energy conference:

http://awec2010.com/public/presentations/loyd_miles.pdf

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint