Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Cookup Idea: Pilots and their Planes (Read 12242 times)
Ray_K
5 Star Member

to create that which never
exsisted before.

Re: Cookup Idea: Pilots and their Planes
Reply #14 - Jun 5th, 2018 at 8:51pm
Print Post  
6-5-2018

Here is where I am going with my build.

Cheers, Ray K.

PerspectX_Stage_173_jpga3b9f1ef-a2dd-40b7-bfa5-e633e98db9b2Original.jpg (Attachment deleted)
PerspectX_Stage_175_jpg3a425d91-256b-43c3-b355-466148ad562aOriginal.jpg (Attachment deleted)
PerspectX_Stage_176_jpgbd2e6502-391f-40d7-87ac-db49dd9db63cOriginal.jpg (Attachment deleted)
PerspectX_Stage_174_jpg1285a161-f42b-409a-8099-6412031088ecOriginal.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Ray_K
5 Star Member

exsisted before.

Reply #13 - May 14th, 2018 at 9:00pm
Print Post  
5-14-2018

Only the new VS300 will be bigger, about 3 ft long.  Smiley

Cheers, Ray K.

IP Logged

Ray_K
5 Star Member

exsisted before.

Reply #12 - May 14th, 2018 at 8:58pm
Print Post  
5-14-2018

After checking out Igor Sikorsky, he designed and flew many aircraft, the 1st multi engine fixed wing aircraft the Rossky Vityaz in 1913, the 1st airliner, the llya Muromets in 1914, the VS300 helicopter in 1939 and the R4 helicopter in 1942. All right looks like Im in with the VS300.  Grin

Cheers, Ray K.

( 49 KB | 82 Downloads )
Vs300_a.jpg

IP Logged

Ray_K
5 Star Member

exsisted before.

Reply #11 - May 14th, 2018 at 6:02pm
Print Post  
5-14-2018

I'm game but like Tom I have a move coming up in August, but if open ended you can count me in. I would have to check out Igor Sikorsky, I might be able to sneak a helicopter in this one.  Wink  Wink  Wink  Wink

Cheers, Ray K.

IP Logged

LabinaLA

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #10 - May 8th, 2018 at 2:11am
Print Post  
Thanks for link Smiley usefull

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #9 - Feb 16th, 2017 at 4:39pm
Print Post  
Guys- Check out this Board! Click Here We had a pilots/designers and their planes Cookup.

As far as planes in detail pictures could definitely be added. 
Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

awiatik

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #8 - Feb 15th, 2017 at 3:31am
Print Post  

Good idea on this topic. I have some names of famous Polish pilots: Orlinski, Zwirko, Skarzynski.
I would love to take part in this cookup.
Kostek

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #7 - Feb 6th, 2017 at 9:40am
Print Post  
Skye...I think we could open a new category for Reference Pictures of Aircraft for modelers.  Using one thread for each aircraft type that modelers could post their collection to and add to the particular aircraft. Understanding that this could become quite complicated when you get to different marks/derrivatives within a particular aircraft type.  Spits, Mustangs, P-40's etc.
Tom

IP Logged

Skyediamonds
Global Moderator

Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling

Reply #6 - Feb 6th, 2017 at 2:57am
Print Post  
I've seen quite a few incredible photos posted on this site of various aircraft.  If a lot of us modelers have any collection of photos to help use as reference, I'm all for it.  Got a few collections myself on the Lockheed Vegas.  Was fortunate enough to be allowed access to Amelia's Vega at the Smithsonian.  That interior is all fuel tank.  Had to press my body along the sides to gain access to the front cockpit.  I don't know if the tank had baffles in the interior as it sure looks like it could use them.  Can't imagine all that fuel sloshing back and forth during flight.  I should also add that I live in Reno, Nevada, home of the Nat'l Championship Close Circuit air races.  I've seen some pretty interesting highly modified unlimited racers from warbirds like the one taking the wings off of a Learjet to help take advantage of the swept back wing shape to help delay the onset of compressibility.  Another looked like a Mustang missing the famous underbelly scoop.  Used a kind of evaporative cooling principle.  Finally, "Tsumani," now there's a plane.  Think Mustang with the cockpit located far back to the vertical tail.  Finally, the Pond racer.  A twin-engined racer designed by Rutan with twin booms.  Got photos of all of them.  -Skye

IP Logged

thymekiller
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #5 - Oct 21st, 2012 at 9:22pm
Print Post  
I see no reason to put any time limits on it.

I am kinda thinking that it might turn out to be one of those things that gets better with age. Truth is, it would take more than a couple minutes to gather everything Glenn Curtis had to offer and the influence he had on the industry.
Same with about a hundred others......

Sometimes life gets in the way of our hobby.  Happens to all of us. Cool spot is, everything will still be here when you get back.

Thinking of making a section just for pilots. Everybody can add what ever they have, when ever they can. Each pilot can have a special thread. We all add to it when we can.

Thoughts?

",,,The road goes on forever, and the party never ends..."

IP Logged

DLphotog

Reply #4 - Oct 21st, 2012 at 4:48pm
Print Post  
I like this idea. I've always wanted to build a Lockheed 5B Vega;Amelia Earhart's plane,or the 5C that Wiley Post flew. Another good candidate might be the Lockheed 8 Sirius "Tingmissartoq" that Charles & Anne Morrow Lindbergh flew in their " North to the Orient" adventure. And,you can't overlook the Hughes H-1 that Howard Hughes flew. I especially like the idea of adding history, links, and discussion. This could be a lot of fun.
Unfortunately, for me,and by the sound of it, like Tim, I am in the process of moving so my weekends / free time are pretty much spoken for between now and the end of November. After that I have no doubt that my "honey do" list will not allow much building time. But if this is something that is left open ended or maybe it runs for 6 months, or dare I say an entire year...WOW, think of the possibilities.

DL

"Those who dream the most, Do the most"

IP Logged

thymekiller
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #3 - Sep 7th, 2012 at 7:34pm
Print Post  
Open ended sounds good to me. That way, if we wanted, we each could build more than one. {Also allows for life to interfere, which it generally finds a way to do.  Wink }

The "Wiley Post collection", that kind of thing. Maybe throw in some history, links, and discussion.  Over the course of time, we could really make a thing out of it.

Tom, I do not envy you having to move again.

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #2 - Sep 7th, 2012 at 5:58pm
Print Post  
Sounds like really a lot of fun!!!!

Pilot makes the choice of planes available to build....I like it!!!

I should be able to participate...but let it run longer than a month or open ended.  Then I know I could participate.  Looks like another move in my near future...back to California.

Wiley Post, Rutan Brothers, Sir Douglas Bader... just for a few...

Tom
« Last Edit: Oct 21st, 2012 at 4:54pm by Sky9pilot »  

IP Logged

thymekiller
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #1 - Sep 7th, 2012 at 2:49pm
Print Post  
Amelia Earhart flew a few different ones.

The idea for a cook up based on a pilot is a good one.  I'm in, but I cant start till next month.

IP Logged

Bobber

Dreaming of the Golden
Age!

Cookup Idea: Pilots and their Planes
Sep 7th, 2012 at 9:34am
Print Post  
I have lots of ideas but not much time to do them.  But I thought I would share this anyway.  What I am thinking is to pick a famous aviator and then have a cookup where anyone participating picks a plane that this pilot flew and builds it. 

So famous aviator that I thought of immediately is Charles Lindbergh.  Besides the obvious plane that he used to fly solo across the Atlantic there are actually quite a few more.  A De Havalind DH4 which he flew for delivering air mail.  The Curtis Jenny which was his first plane.  And also a P38 which he flew briefly in the Pacific during WWII.  There are a couple more but you get the idea.  Now what other pilots could be used?  Maybe Jimmy Doolittle.  Any others?  What do you think?

Aviation is proof that given the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible.  Eddie Rickenbacker
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint