Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Wing mounting methods (Read 4130 times)
Kaintuck
5 Star Member

Controled landings are
best!

Re: Wing mounting methods
Reply #3 - Jan 24th, 2020 at 2:54pm
Print Post  
the LE hook and TE screws work on any size bird. I built a 96" spook and she ran for years, wings split in the middle with a music wire/brass tub connector.
She was a big ol girl, and this was the only way to transport the big wig....I did a million loops, and the power plant was a Maloney 125!!! Grin
marc

IP Logged

thymekiller
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #2 - Oct 23rd, 2012 at 2:04pm
Print Post  
Here's one I did but instead of hooks, I simply glued dowels to the ribs at an angle. They bottomed out at the point where the wing was to stay. I used magnets to attach the trailing edge. Screws would work just fine and probly weigh less. This bird has a 50 some odd inch span so the extra gram or 2 wont mean much.

If you look at the picture closely, you will see where the dowels go under the window frame, and fit snugly into the corners of the window/cabin framing.  They locate both forward placement and side to side placement.
VERY simple and lite.

Once again, I have to thank my friends for this idea, I did not think of it myself.

",,,The road goes on forever, and the party never ends..."

IP Logged

thymekiller
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #1 - Oct 23rd, 2012 at 12:43pm
Print Post  
Sorry about my poor drawing. I blame Tom for this because he constantly inspires me to try new things and learn stuff. Grin Cool 

If you have a center rib, you can use only one hook. I prefer to use two because it seems to sturdy up the wing location. 
If you don't want to, or cant, use the upper cabin top windshield brace, you can install a dummy cross brace any where you wish. I have seen some pretty LARGE/HEAVY DUTY crossbrace/hook setups used and by placing the whole thing in the center of the wing, they are almost invisible thru the cabin window.

On heavy birds, you can taper the rear of the hook away from the cross brace to get more attachment point on the rib, and strengthen the rib.

In extreme cases, a duplicate rib can be made and added inside the center section of the wing. This duplicate can be made of thin ply and the hook becomes a slot hanging below it. In that particular case, the extra ribs featured two slots each and that made a total of 4 hooks. Then 2 countersunk allen head screws were used under the wing, thru the top cabin wall, and into blind nuts mounted in the false rib/hook plate, to lock it all together.
« Last Edit: Oct 23rd, 2012 at 2:41pm by thymekiller »  

( 81 KB | 165 Downloads )
hook_drawing.JPG

IP Logged

thymekiller
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Wing mounting methods
Oct 23rd, 2012 at 11:32am
Print Post  
Special thanks to Tom Akery for this fine offering; 

One way is to install a "Key" or "Locator pin" in the front of the wing. This plugs into a hole in the former on the fuselage.  Both holes were drilled at the same time while in proper placement ensuring alignment. Then the screw or the magnets are placed opposite the "key"/pin to anchor the wing in place.

Here's a picture of the Goose's wing showing the "key"/pin.

« Last Edit: Oct 23rd, 2012 at 11:04pm by Sky9pilot »  

( 117 KB | 197 Downloads )
wing_attachment_001.jpg

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint