Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Ressurection of an Old Timer (Read 6366 times)
thymekiller
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Re: Ressurection of an Old Timer
Reply #9 - Dec 7th, 2012 at 6:13pm
Print Post  
Another change of plans.  My good friend Tom made a suggestion. I will set it up as a glider and find CG.
Then build for it. I am certain the new motor weighs less, but before I start chopping and grafting, need to see how much really needs chopped.

Soon as it quits raining.... Cry

",,,The road goes on forever, and the party never ends..."

IP Logged

thymekiller
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #8 - Dec 7th, 2012 at 8:13am
Print Post  
Crazy as it might seem, that idea did not work.  Even with all the weight added, she still came out tail heavy.

So, I took all of it off and will extend the nose 2 inches forward.  I will build up a box, instead of a single block. This will allow the movement of the battery.
Over all, it should weigh less, but balance better.
We will see. Pics will be posted as we go along.

IP Logged

thymekiller
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #7 - Dec 3rd, 2012 at 8:32am
Print Post  
Smiley Thanks!

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #6 - Dec 2nd, 2012 at 5:31pm
Print Post  
Heat gun is great....but remember there is the possibility of burning a hole in the monocoat.

So be careful if this is a paint stripping heat gun because it gets way too hot.  My monocoat heat gun still burnt a hole in the monocoat when I got too close.

I say go for it and keep the gun six inches away from the surface of the monocoat.  You can go closer but be ready to move back when the shrinking starts.

Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

thymekiller
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #5 - Dec 2nd, 2012 at 2:35pm
Print Post  
Quote:
These oldtimer models are pretty addictive aren't they Smiley Cheesy Wink

Yes they are. Truth be told, they had we hooked before I ever got anything to glide. Love at first sight. Cant remember why I didn't pursue them from the very start. Might be because they don't sell them at the local hobby shop. Took me a couple years to discover the internet. It was Charlimans model that swayed me to do this one. Of all the planes I flew, I remember that one in flight the most. 

Yep, gotta do something with the nose block. Need to balance, then dress out.

What are your thoughts on a heat gun?  Maybe just a gentle blow over the whole surface?  Then do spot work?

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #4 - Dec 1st, 2012 at 2:30pm
Print Post  
Looking really good.  I would suggest some 1/8 sheet on each side of the fuselage noseblock in the oval oldtimer look of the age. 

The monocoat should tighten up with the iron you have.  Clean the dust off first so you don't scratch the surface and then lightly move the iron over the monocoat.  It should shrink right up and look very good.  It's pretty resilient. Depending on the iron setting you might not even have to touch the monocoat. Smiley

These oldtimer models are pretty addictive aren't they Smiley Cheesy Wink

Tom

IP Logged

thymekiller
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #3 - Dec 1st, 2012 at 1:48pm
Print Post  
It is so pleasant to work when the weather is nice.

Made a hatch for the ESC. I cut out a section and glued tabs to screw the piece back in.

While waiting for the tail to dry, I did a mockup. pretty sure I will have to extend the nose block, maybe an inch or so. Currently, she balances about halfway back on the wing.  What I will do is add a balsa block inbetween the fuse and the heavy nose I made. Also thinking of maybe some sort of guard to help streamline the nose and help protect the motor during trim glides. Havent decided yet.

I might try to tighten the old monocoat, but I bet it's just not gonna tighten very much. Not sure how old it is.
Sorry about the dust all over the plane. I haven't cleaned it up yet. Dust is another problem I have not solved. It is EVERYWHERE!!!!!!!!

IP Logged

thymekiller
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #2 - Nov 30th, 2012 at 8:39pm
Print Post  
Thanks Tom.
Your right about the safety issues. Probly shouldn't have posted that.  Roll Eyes Gonna get a drill press this spring, I hope. Haven't worked out a decent clamp arrangement yet. Still lots of holes in the plan, but getting there. Just couldn't stand it anymore and HAD to do something.

I was thinking test glide to taste. I'm gonna keep looking for CG. I think I remember seeing an oldtimer like this and the CG was far enough back to surprise you. Has to do with the flying tail. Not sure. A test glide will reveal all. Got a few more steps before we try that.

Couldnt get the plans link to work. Will try again in the morning.

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #1 - Nov 30th, 2012 at 4:22pm
Print Post  
Eric,

Good to see your building again.  I don't think OSHA would approve of your drilling process.  You've gotta have some clamps somewhere in the shop????

Not that I haven't done the same thing at one time or another.  LOL

I haven't built a playboy Sr.   but will do some research to see what I can find. 

I look forward to this coming together. 

EDIT:  Found the plan on Outerzone:

Couldn't get the link to work again.  Try the Google search for Playboy Senior or Cleveland Playboy Senior Plan

Try this link:   http://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=toolbar-instant&hl=en&ion=1&qscrl=1&rlz=1T4...

Then click on the Outerzone listing about forth down from the top.

There is a copy of the original plan and a modified re-draw by a fellow in CAD. 
I looked the original plan over and it doesn't give any indication of the CG.  (Naturally Undecided Embarrassed Roll Eyes) so I kept looking and there is a printed paragraph which says..."Balance the model so that it glides.  If it's nose heavy move the ignition module back.  Which is often necessary.  If it's still nose heavy, which it often is, shim the horizontal stab's trailing edge and try again till you get a slighty nose heavy glide.  Then continue testing till you get a nice climb. Preferable climbing in a fairly tight circle.  The circling climb is preferred to the straight climb where the plane is practically hanging on it's prop!  (My paraphrase of the paragraph)  I would suggest that the CG would be between the first and middle upper spar.  Somewhere between 22%-27% of the chord from the leading edge.  Might be closer to 13% with that short nose...

Tom
« Last Edit: Dec 1st, 2012 at 12:04pm by Sky9pilot »  

IP Logged

thymekiller
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Ressurection of an Old Timer
Nov 30th, 2012 at 7:35am
Print Post  
Not exactly stick and tissue, but I simply love those old-timer planes and could not resist.

I finally got the shop straightened around and had to decide which plane to tackle first.
This old Playboy Sr. called out the loudest, so here we go. I have had it for maybe a year now. As I understand it, the plane has passed thru many hands before finally coming to me. I am not sure who built it, but I will try to save as much of the original covering as possible in hopes that someone will recognize it and help me.  Sorry that it is not covered in tissue.

The nose was ruined from years of gas engine use. That stuff tried to delaminate the ply used in the nose.  I wanted to add a beefier landing gear and larger, softer tires, and add a bit of weight to the nose so I made a noseblock out of pine. The pine block also allows the use of most any camera I decide to use later.
The tires I used are just what I have here. I may go to foam tires, if the weight will allow it. Larger tires do better on the grass that I will be flying from. It does not have a steerable tail wheel, so we just aim for a flat spot and hope for the best. Shocked

The old gas engine and fuel tank weighed more than the electric motor and battery that I will be using. The battery will go inside, where the fuel tank used to be.
All this brought the cg closer to where it used to be, I hope. This plane has an under-chambered main wing and a flying tail so I need to research exactly where the cg is supposed to be. 

Here is a few pics of me drilling holes for the landing gear. I stacked up some wood to set the block on and this is my homemade drill press.

The rest are pics of the process. Probably not the best way, but I am working with what I have on hand. Now that it is set, I will shape the nose a little bit more and apply epoxy around the edge to further hold it on.

I should mention that after cleaning up the ply nose block, I found it was cracked. I followed along with a knife and managed to peel off the first couple layers. After some surface sanding, the ply was 1/8 instead of the 1/4 it used to be. It looks and feels solid, but not so thick.

Does anybody happen to know where cg is located on a Playboy Sr.?  I believe it is back from where most planes balance.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint