Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Burt Rutan and the Beechcraft Starship (Read 66470 times)
Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Re: Burt Rutan and the Beechcraft Starship
Reply #28 - Apr 24th, 2013 at 11:30pm
Print Post  
Well a bit more work done on the Starship...

Began work on the main wing today. Using 3/32sq leading edge and 1/16X1/8 trailing edge and cracked rib construction instead of sliced rib.  The bottom of the ribs are 3/32 very light wood and the top of the ribs is 1/32X1/16 balsa strips.  I used what I thought was 1/32 balsa for the spars until I reached for more 1/32 balsa for the front spar.  Guess what, the rear spar was made from a strip of 1/16 by 3/8's tapered to 1/8.  Oh well continue to build!!!

I'm still debating on how I want to mount the wing to the fuselage.  I usually prefer to build a one piece wing and then l cut away the fuselage area in one piece that can be replaced after the wing has been placed in the body.

The Starship doesn't have much dihedral if any at all on the real one.  I've heard that the swept wing acts as dihedral as well.  Still working through this setup for now.  After finding the slip up with the 1/16 spar instead of 1/32 I'm also considering rebuilding the whole wing again.  We'll see after sanding the panels tomorrow.

If you notice droplettes on the plastic wrap, I spritzed the panels with isopropol alcohol while the wing sets up to take out some of the tension in the wood leading edge and turbulator strips and the washout of 1/8 inch at the tips.

With the placement on the fuselage the side of the fuselag is angled sharply under the side.  I'll have to check this out some more.  Sorry for thinking thru this out loud! Roll Eyes Shocked Cheesy  The joys of freeflight modelling Grin Grin Wink

Tom

( 79 KB | 101 Downloads )
Canard_cracked_rib_const.jpg
( 118 KB | 133 Downloads )
Main_wing_left_panel_const.jpg
( 97 KB | 120 Downloads )
Main_wing_left_and_right_panels_top_view.jpg

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

TJH
3 Star Member

It's not rocket surgery...or
is it?

Reply #27 - Apr 23rd, 2013 at 7:23pm
Print Post  
Tom,
This is some EXCELLENT work! I am really enjoying seeing this one come to life!

Tim

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #26 - Apr 23rd, 2013 at 6:13pm
Print Post  
Thanks Mitch,

I'm finding a lot of short comings in my plans but nothing that can't be corrected eventually. Thanks for the kind thoughts.

Here's a bit more progress.  My buddies on SFA had some input on the canard so I've enlarged it by approximately 45%.  I've also added 4 degrees of dihedral to the canard. 

The canard has 1/8 square leading edge with 1/16X1/8 trailing edge with a cracked ribs made from 1/16 sq strip.  I then sanded the wing  down and rounded the tips.  I didn't make any movable surfaces on this canard, as found on the real plane.  The canard is set at 4 degrees incidence as well. 

Also carved the nose block.  To be hollowed out next.

Here's the latest pics.

Tom

( 162 KB | 150 Downloads )
Canard_and_nose_cone_done__upper_front_view.jpg
( 50 KB | 114 Downloads )
Canard_and_nose_cone_done_left_side.jpg
( 51 KB | 140 Downloads )
Canard_and_nose_cone_done_left_rear_quarter.jpg
( 78 KB | 140 Downloads )
Canard_and_nose_cone_done_upper_right_side.jpg
( 84 KB | 126 Downloads )
Canard_and_nose_cone_right_front_quarter.jpg
( 176 KB | 117 Downloads )
Canard_and_nose_cone_done_upper_rear.jpg

IP Logged

mitch j
4 Star Member

growing old-no choice,growing
up-optional

Reply #25 - Apr 23rd, 2013 at 6:35am
Print Post  
Thats amazing mate! And you built that from your own plans! I think I will just stick to scratch building from other peoples plans......! Looking forward to more pics!

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #24 - Apr 22nd, 2013 at 8:20pm
Print Post  
Well the fuselage is starting to look like a Starship.  Stringers and window openings added today. 

Here's the latest pics...

Tom

( 57 KB | 115 Downloads )
fuselage_windows_and_stringers_left_front_quarter.jpg
( 57 KB | 115 Downloads )
fuselage_windows_and_stringers_right_front_quarter.jpg
( 63 KB | 143 Downloads )
fuselage_windows_and_stringers_right_rear_quarter.jpg
( 59 KB | 144 Downloads )
fuselage_windows_and_stringers_left_rear_quarter.jpg
( 57 KB | 112 Downloads )
fuselage_windows_and_stringers.jpg

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #23 - Apr 20th, 2013 at 7:32pm
Print Post  
Here's the progress on the Starship...

I made the fuselage box/ladder structure and spritzed it to relieve the tension in the wood yesterday. 

Today I added the crossmembers using the machinist squares.

I also added the formers at each station on the ladder structure.  What a job. 10 stations and four formers per station for nine of them.  I'm tired of cutting out half pie shapes for the circular fuselage.  So here's a couple pics of the progress so far.

I made a small jig from popcicle sticks for cutting the cross members the same length.  Just helps keep the ends even before making the second piece.

Tom
« Last Edit: Apr 21st, 2013 at 1:32pm by Sky9pilot »  

( 69 KB | 107 Downloads )
Cutting_jig.jpg
( 94 KB | 109 Downloads )
fuselage_sides_and_cross_members_001.jpg
( 76 KB | 104 Downloads )
formers_on_box_structure_2.jpg
( 107 KB | 162 Downloads )
formers_on_fuselage_rt_frnt_quarter.jpg

IP Logged

Concretecow
3 Star Member

Defy Gravity

Reply #22 - Apr 20th, 2013 at 4:37pm
Print Post  
Crikey Tom, you do like a challenge.  That looks like one difficult plane to model.  Really looking forward to more pics of the build.

How do you go about creating the CAD drawing and plans?  It would be nice to be able to design models.  But how do you draw and scale them?

Good luck with the rest of the build.

Concretecow

IP Logged

thymekiller
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #21 - Apr 20th, 2013 at 3:26pm
Print Post  
Sometimes just getting ready to build can present challenges.
As for ceiling tiles, check any office/restaurant remodel job in your area. They can never match the old pattern so they throw away tons of the old stuff.
Abandoned shops and stores often have some and they might even be on the floor.

Looking forward to seeing this one come to life. You da' man!!! Smiley Smiley Smiley

",,,The road goes on forever, and the party never ends..."

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #20 - Apr 20th, 2013 at 10:39am
Print Post  
Thanks Mitch,

Will post progress as I move along with this build.  I'm looking forward to this build after all the false starts.

Tom

IP Logged

mitch j
4 Star Member

growing old-no choice,growing
up-optional

Reply #19 - Apr 20th, 2013 at 4:10am
Print Post  
Never doubted you for a minute mate! Good to see you've made a start. Look forward to lots more pics as you progress! It certainly is a great looking aircraft & a good story too!

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #18 - Apr 19th, 2013 at 9:20pm
Print Post  
Hi ya'll,

Bet you thought, "He's never gonna build the Starship!"  Well, still got the foam plug, but it won't be used.  Going with a more conventional build method.  I'll be building an inner box/ladder style construction with the round formers outside the box.  We'll see if I can keep it straight and make it look like it should. 

Can't find my magnets for the magnetic building board.  Was really hoping to use them with this build.  So went down to Home Depot.  Guess what? They don't sell the accustic ceiling tiles 2ftX4ft as singles anymore. Can you believe that?  Only in bundles of 15 for around 30 dollars!!!!!

I went and got a worker and asked about the two tiles with bum corners in the back.  She crawled back and got them and said they should be up here on a shelf above the bundles.  Signs said $.49 for 2X4 sheet.  I didn't question her and took one of the singles up front to pay for it.  45 minutes and the checker calling three different managers who said we don't sell them individually.  One said the $.49 was a square foot.  So I offered to pay $3.00 for the single tile.  I eventually got the one tile for $2.00 bucks.

I guess you guys with hanging ceilings who break a tile moving something long and awkward are just out of luck.  You'll have to buy a whole bundle to get a nice tile to replace the one you broke. Roll Eyes Cheesy  Sorry for the rant.  Now I got that out of my system!

Here's a pic of the fuselage box/ladder with both sides, one built on top of the other to try to make them identical. 3/32sq balsa was used.  I did wet the balsa with water on the areas where ther bends are located and after gluing everything up, I spritzed them with alcohol to try to relieve the tension in the wood, to prevent future warps hopefully.  I also tried to use matching wood grain on the sides to assist in this also. 

I 'll let this set overnight and using rt triangles and 90 degree upright glue the cross members tomorrow and maybe even get to the formers.  I'll be using 1/16 for the formers and when I add the stringers I be using 1/16X1/32 balsa for them and sand a taper in the tailend of the stringers after they're applied.

So to prove I've started....here's the pic Shocked Grin

Tom

( 87 KB | 134 Downloads )
starship_fuselage_box_sides_spritzed.jpg

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #17 - Apr 17th, 2013 at 12:55am
Print Post  
Well another setback...can't find the box from the move that has the reed I use for the lost foam fuselage construction.   Tongue Cry

After the computer crash, I was able to get a copy of the plan I emailed a buddy, Thanks Don.  I gone back into the CAD program and have redrawn the fuselage and wing for a different style construction.  I'll build a truss box fuselage core with formers to make the fuselage round.  Then I'll use sliced ribs for the wing construction in the Dave Rees style using 1/32 balsa spars, trusses and ribs.  We'll see how this works on a 25 inch wing.  Dave build larger wings this way, so it should work fine. 

I'm looking forward to building a bigger model after the two peanuts and the Dimescale P-40N.  Gathering all the materials and reprinting the plans the redesigned fuselage and wing.

More later, thanks for your patience with me!

Tom

IP Logged

thymekiller
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #16 - Mar 27th, 2013 at 9:31am
Print Post  
You'll get it in time. I know what it is like to be without that one box. You can find all the ones you don't want right now.... Sad

",,,The road goes on forever, and the party never ends..."

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #15 - Mar 26th, 2013 at 2:01am
Print Post  
Boy,

I'm having challenges with the Starship.  Looks like the foam will be used for another project.  Seems the box from the move with the reed and other supplies either didn't make it or is at the very back of the garage.  Still looking for that box. Has all the stuff I've been missing.  So with the help of Don McLellan who emailed me back a copy of the plan I shared with him.  I've been redrawing(recopying) the plan in CAD to modify into a box fuselage with former tops, sides and bottoms.  This will allow me to continue the build in a more conventional way.  Where there's a will, there's a way! 

I hope to start making progress on this build in two weeks.  I've committed to the QBC on SFA and so I have a P-40N to complete in 24 hours two weekend away. 

Then Starship begins on the front burner.  Thanks for your patience with this build.  Like we said at the begining of this cookup.  No pressure but hopefully completed by Feb. 2014.

Tom

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #14 - Mar 18th, 2013 at 10:27pm
Print Post  
Ok,

I've started on the Starship and have already had my first set back.  It seems that the glue didn't set in the middle of the laminations, so as I made the first cuts the laminations started to come apart.  So you will see the top view cut on both sides and everything back under the blocks for a couple more days. I still have to find the reed and start it soaking for the formers for the fuselage. 

I was in a funk for a while trying to recover from the computer crash.  I know better than not to backup and now I won't let that happen again. 

Now I feel like building and the peanut things has been quite invigurating for a change.  Peanuts are a little fragile for these thick fingers, but it's nice not having to work with a 32 inch wing and longer fuselage. 

I know why Bill Parker likes working with the big planes, you don't have to worry about breaking a stringer everytime you turn around or bump it.

Not much to show for the work involved but here's the bricks sitting on the foam to show that I have started! Shocked Roll Eyes Cheesy Wink

Tom

( 91 KB | 109 Downloads )
Lamination_of_foam_sheet_after_first_cut.jpg

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Send TopicPrint