Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Laird Super Solution (Read 11848 times)
Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Re: Laird Super Solution
Reply #17 - Jun 1st, 2013 at 8:32am
Print Post  
John,

Thanks a million for sharing that great picture and story.  Wish I could have been there too.  What a catch!

Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

John Webster
3 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #16 - Jun 1st, 2013 at 12:27am
Print Post  

I was in one of the vendor's tents at Oshkosh when the salesperson said "excuse me for a minute, I have to get this picture". I followed him and shot this with a cheap drug store camera I carried in my flight jacket.
Matty Laird in the suit, Jimmy Doolittle on the right.

When you begin to fly you are issued two bags, one full of luck and an empty one for experience.&&The object is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #15 - Mar 5th, 2013 at 8:08pm
Print Post  
Yep....

That's it.... Ok to do with a peanut could be done for a larger model.  I've found nice straight foamboard at the Dollar Tree Store approximatel 24"X36" or so, that would work.

Lots of ideas floating around out there...

Tom

IP Logged

Bobber

Dreaming of the Golden
Age!

Reply #14 - Mar 5th, 2013 at 6:44pm
Print Post  
You're talking about this one?

Aviation is proof that given the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible.  Eddie Rickenbacker
IP Logged

Bobber

Dreaming of the Golden
Age!

Reply #13 - Mar 5th, 2013 at 6:39pm
Print Post  
Wow, that's an incredible site, thanks for the link!

Aviation is proof that given the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible.  Eddie Rickenbacker
IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #12 - Mar 5th, 2013 at 1:00pm
Print Post  
Bobber,

Looks like he made those out of foam board.  I've seen fuselage jigs made from foam board that works like my vertical former jig. 

Check out this post on a Japanese site showing this type of foamboard jig.  It's found a little over half way down the posting at post on 2010/09/28 Lattlesnake P51-D Mustang No. 1
http://jiroaerop.mo-blog.jp/peanutscale/cat6659543/

The Japanese modellers on that Peanut site are amazing, the skill and detail on those small models are outstanding.

Tom

IP Logged

Bobber

Dreaming of the Golden
Age!

Reply #11 - Mar 5th, 2013 at 7:17am
Print Post  
Here's a link to John's Laird SS page.  It's the first photo on the top left.  From what I can tell he has cut out the part of the plan that shows the angle of the fuse and made trapezoid squares out of it in order to make sure the shape is accurate.

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #10 - Mar 5th, 2013 at 12:27am
Print Post  
Bobber,
It appears that some sites don't want us to link to them.  I was unable to link directly to the site through the link posted.  Please let us know if anyone can link thru the one posted and we'll leave it up.

Glad you got the plans.  I frequently make copies of the plan and them compare them using a light table or held up to a window to check accuracy of the copy.  I then cut the copy up for patterns for formers, ribs, jig angles,canopy patterns (top and side view) etc....

Can't wait to see your first pictures

Tom

IP Logged

Bobber

Dreaming of the Golden
Age!

Reply #9 - Mar 4th, 2013 at 6:18pm
Print Post  
Plans arrived in the mail.  John Ernst uses trapezoid jigs for the fuse.  Looks like he cut them out using an extra set of plans.  I'm going to have to make some copies.  Take a look:
http://mysite.verizon.net/imagelib/sitebuilder/misc/show_image.htmllinkedwidth=a...
« Last Edit: Mar 5th, 2013 at 12:28am by Sky9pilot »  

IP Logged

thymekiller
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #8 - Feb 16th, 2013 at 4:58pm
Print Post  
Tom's right about the links.
He is also right about balsa selection. It can get obsessive, if you let it.

Here's a tip if you buy local,:
Hold the sheet up to the light, and work it a little with your hands.  That will tell an amazing amount about the grain and quality. I don't compete, so I just buy the lightest stuff they have and go with it.  I'm like Tom on that, A few loops and a good landing makes me feel pretty good.
Go for mostly straight grained stuff. The "c" grain will come on it's own, it's common. Straight grain for stringers, the rest for ribs and formers. Most times, you will get both in the same sheet. You will see when the light shines thru it.
Don't be afraid to sort thru the pile, just be sure to put back what you don't want into the proper bin. 
Most hobby shops have 8 to 15 lbs wood. If you find one sheet that is WAY lighter than the rest, grab it. Even if it is spongy, you can use it for filler.  With practice, you will develop a feel for it. Super lite wood is nice, but hard to work with and soft. Even when I buy competition wood, I go for 8 or 6 pound. Softer than that is hard for me to work with. Just my opinion. Your mileage may vary... Smiley Cool

Doolittle was a handsome man. It's funny, but in light of his accomplishments, I would have thought him to be 10 foot tall.   

",,,The road goes on forever, and the party never ends..."

IP Logged

Avro

sv Ivory Moon

Reply #7 - Feb 14th, 2013 at 1:16pm
Print Post  
Too cool!!  Would love to see it built ...

JR

cruising blog at cruisingmoon.wordpress.com

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #6 - Feb 13th, 2013 at 9:42pm
Print Post  
Bobber,

Re: balsa, you might want to check out the links that Thymekiller posted on choosing balsa and the rating of balsa and it's types, here:

http://www.stickandtissue.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1305765475

Not competing in any contest, I'm pretty happy when the model makes a few circuits around the park where I go to fly.  So I'm happy with the balsa I'm able to get at the local hobby shop.  I look for light balsa free from warps and uniform in flexibility the length of the sheet.  I try to stay away from balsa that is spongy or the opposite from spongy, hard as a rock.  Amazing the spread of balsa available.  Lots of guys suggest taking a scale to weight the sheet individually looking for a weight of 4-7 grams per sheet.  If your really into contest grade balsa then you'll want to order some balsa from some of the suggested suppliers listed under the Plans section "Supplies" board:   http://www.stickandtissue.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?board=supplies

check out all these links and read up to decide how much you want to delve into this balsa selection thing.  I am a bit more picky than I used to be when re-starting in this wonderful hobby about 6 years ago.  Lighter is always better for good flying models, but it's a skill learning how to build strong enough for handling and flying stress yet light enough to max out the flying times for contest. 

Hope this is helpful, just remember, your expectations and desires will determine the class of wood you will use.  Enjoy learning the ins and out of balsa and give yourself some wiggle room.

Tom

IP Logged

Bobber

Dreaming of the Golden
Age!

Reply #5 - Feb 13th, 2013 at 6:26pm
Print Post  
Well that is some good encouragement!  You just might have pushed me over.  I need some thoughts on selecting balsa wood.  There are a couple of shops here in town that supply it.  Do you think that would be a good place to start or would I do better ordering some from a dedicated to flying shop?

Here's the link to the plans for the Laird Super Solution:

http://www.ozarkmodelaviation.com/products.php?cat=9

Grin  Grin  Grin

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #4 - Feb 13th, 2013 at 6:17pm
Print Post  
Bobber,

Thanks for the link.  John is an expert builder.  He really has come close to the finish with available tissue colors.  ( I don't believe John likes to use paint on his models, perfers tissue only to keep things light)

You can learn a lot from studying John's site and his builds.  Great stuff.

Thanks again for sharing this....come on, build the "Solution", you'll like it and we'll help all we can!

Tom

IP Logged

Bobber

Dreaming of the Golden
Age!

Reply #3 - Feb 13th, 2013 at 6:09pm
Print Post  
John Ernst has built one of these and came pretty close to the paint scheme.  Take a look: http://mysite.verizon.net/vze8ljo4/johnsmodels/id13.html

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint