Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) The Red Baron rides again! (Read 19978 times)
Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Re: The Red Baron rides again!
Reply #38 - Jul 8th, 2013 at 8:31am
Print Post  
Mitch,

She looks great.  I agree with Concretecow, there's just something about the details that cause the model to come to life.  With the short nose you may find that the engine and guns will help in balancing the model.  Good luck with the detailing.  Sometimes brushing on some water just on the wrinkle area might tighten up the tissue there. 

Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Concretecow
3 Star Member

Defy Gravity

Reply #37 - Jul 8th, 2013 at 6:00am
Print Post  
That's a really fine affort Mitch.  I shouldn't worry about the wrinkles.  They don't hardly show at all, and probably bother you more than they are noticeable to the rest of us.

Something I've discovered with my current model (Fokker EIII) is that I've quite enjoyed building the engine and machine gun, although it's just detailing, and doesn't contribute to the "flyability" at all.  I'm sure you'll find the same. Machine guns and an engine are just the finishing touches it needs.

Great model mate, I'm seriously impressed.  Hope the weather picks up, and you can get out and fly. 

Concretecow

IP Logged

mitch j
4 Star Member

growing old-no choice,growing
up-optional

Reply #36 - Jul 8th, 2013 at 12:15am
Print Post  
G'day all;
Its nearly finished!! Just got to make some guns & an engine & its just about done. I might try to recover the nose to get rid of those wrinkles though. The prop & the nose block are both removable in case i do decide to try & fly it later on-that will have to wait till summer because its too wet at the moment & spring gets quite windy here. That's OK though 'cos by then I'll have more toys to play with!!(p.s. i don't know why the pictures turned out pink-i can assure you it is still red!!!!)

Cheers for now!

( 256 KB | 80 Downloads )
20130708072652940.jpg
( 263 KB | 63 Downloads )
20130708072609972.jpg
( 248 KB | 58 Downloads )
20130708072642132.jpg
( 252 KB | 72 Downloads )
20130708071227246.jpg

IP Logged

Concretecow
3 Star Member

Defy Gravity

Reply #35 - Jun 30th, 2013 at 12:59pm
Print Post  
I agree with Tom.  It makes for a really good effect, and looks "part" of the plane.  Started making me think about how to achieve similar on my EIII.  The kit includes loads of decals, but they're quite big and really heavy.  I may yet change the colour scheme, although I quite like the traditional version.

Keep up the good work on the Albatross.  Even if the wood is soft, it should be light enough not to smash if it spins in!  Because my Fokker is laser cut, that too is made of very soft wood, but I'm still going to try and fly it.

Concretecow.

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #34 - Jun 29th, 2013 at 9:15pm
Print Post  
Mitch,

Really unique way of doing the faded crosses.  I'd never thought of that.  It's great.  Really gives the appearance of the paint fading in the daily grind of each sortie.

Looking forward to more progress.  Well Done!

Tom

IP Logged

mitch j
4 Star Member

up-optional

Reply #33 - Jun 29th, 2013 at 5:38pm
Print Post  
G'day Concretecow;
The pictures of this plane seem to suggest the red paint was sprayed over the insignia so i did a bit of an experiment. I cut the crosses from white card,drew on the black with lead pencil,stuck them to the frames,then tissued over the top. I was hopeing they might have stood out a bit more but I'm happy with the result-  sometimes you have to try different things! (and I'm not smart enough to print onto tissue ha ha !!) It's getting there though.( I've actually started another build to break the.... "monotomy" of a long build!)
Not sure if it will be a flyer yet- the wood i used seems VERY soft-i don't think it would handle a crash at all.

Cheers mate!

IP Logged

Concretecow
3 Star Member

Defy Gravity

Reply #32 - Jun 29th, 2013 at 3:07pm
Print Post  
Really starting to look good Mitch.  You seem to have got this scratch building lark nailed.  How have you done the markings on the tissue?  Is it printed?

Are you intending to fly this one?

Concretecow

IP Logged

mitch j
4 Star Member

up-optional

Reply #31 - Jun 29th, 2013 at 5:11am
Print Post  
G'day all;
A quick Albatros update - finally got the top wing recovered again & on the plane. Also got the tail on. In the proccess of making the wheels so i can get the undercarraige on.Getting there slowly but surely!

Cheers for now!

( 284 KB | 65 Downloads )
20130629201831521.jpg

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #30 - Jun 10th, 2013 at 10:40am
Print Post  
Yep,

It's always prudent to pin the wing down to dry to avoid that thing happening.  Just be sure to put something to raise the wing off the building board so air can get under it to allow drying of the lower surface!

Sorry for your experience.  Good luck with the recover.

Tom

IP Logged

mitch j
4 Star Member

up-optional

Reply #29 - Jun 10th, 2013 at 5:53am
Print Post  
G'day all;
Had a bit of trouble with my Auster today so I thought I might as well start putting the Albatros together - after all I did dope everything yesterday. Only trouble is the upper wing seems to have acquired the proportions of a banana!!!! I know it was nice & flat before I doped it - I am guessing I needed to jig it flat when I doped it. Even as a static model it looks ridiculous so I think I will remove all the tissue & start again. Seems to be one of those days...........!!

( 70 KB | 61 Downloads )
20130610153319511.jpg
( 69 KB | 60 Downloads )
20130610153054899.jpg

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #28 - Jun 5th, 2013 at 7:03pm
Print Post  
Mitch,

Looks great and the one piece fuselage is fantastic.  Often if the tissue is wet it will cover rounded fuselages easier.  Looks like you've done a great job. 

By the way... if you would have needed to use additional tissue to cover the fuselage, strips of tissue running from nose to tail glued on the stringers would work. 

If you need a vertical glue strip, filler can be placed between the stringers at the formers station and sanded smooth then the tissue added to the glue strip and then added from there to the tail. (hope that makes sense)!

Can't wait to see this one come together.   Smiley Smiley

Tom

IP Logged

mitch j
4 Star Member

up-optional

Reply #27 - Jun 5th, 2013 at 3:47pm
Print Post  
G'day all;
A quick Albatros update-got the wings,fuselage,tail,nose block & struts covered. Had to cover the fuse sides with 1 piece each because I had nothing to stick the tissue to due to the scalloped out formers but it seems to have worked ok. The wings were tricky also because of the odd trailing edges. Dope it all up this weekend & I can start assembling!!! Still got work to do on the wheels & prop & then have a go at a dummy engine. Getting there slowly but surely!!!

Cheers for now!

( 181 KB | 74 Downloads )
20130606063412470.jpg

IP Logged

mitch j
4 Star Member

up-optional

Reply #26 - May 28th, 2013 at 3:23pm
Print Post  
G'day Tom;
The plans call for a scale dihedral of 1/2 inch which I will add before covering. I am thinking this may be a hanger queen though because it is SO FRAGILE!! I recently bought some more 1/16 sheet of a different brand & realized how soft the original stuff is. I dont know how many stringers I've broken (lots!) just handling the thing! I now know more about what to look for when buying wood so thats a good thing.
Im also re-hashing the wing strut mounts-i am not keen on just poking holes in tissue to mount them. Hopefully my idea works-time will tell. More pics to come!

Cheers mate!

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #25 - May 28th, 2013 at 8:32am
Print Post  
Very creative solution to the wing mounting.  She is looking great!

Just curious, did the plans call for any dihedral on the wings?  For free flight I'd recommend adding some dihedral.  If not on both wings at least on the lower wing, but preferably on both wings, maybe 1/2 to 3/4 inch at the wingtips. 

Tom

IP Logged

mitch j
4 Star Member

up-optional

Reply #24 - May 28th, 2013 at 7:27am
Print Post  
G'day all;
A few photos of a little bit of progress. Doesnt seem to be much time for building at the moment! Here's a pic of a very dodgy mockup. I had a go at carving a prop (for display only) & I don't think its too bad. I need to re-carve a new nose block though- the profile didn't match the fuselage lines at all.
I added some tabs to the lower longeron(?) because there didn't seem to be much to attatch the center lower wing rib to.
It is also not very clear  on the plans just how the tissue on the fuselage let's the lower wing be attatched(if that makes sense).l ended up filling in the lower gap at the wing root to give the tissue something to stick to. Don't seem to always get enough info when building from pre-cut plans but that just makes things more interesting!
In the process now of making the wing struts & landing gear struts. Won't be long & I can start covering - can't wait!!!

Cheers!

( 107 KB | 58 Downloads )
20130526205244999.jpg
( 166 KB | 54 Downloads )
20130528121440579.jpg
( 173 KB | 55 Downloads )
20130528121214374-1.jpg
( 89 KB | 58 Downloads )
20130528120237751.jpg

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint