Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Show Us Your Oldest Models (Read 44575 times)
Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Re: Show Us Your Oldest Models
Reply #23 - Oct 19th, 2014 at 3:17pm
Print Post  
Nice...great to see these models and their character that only comes with age!!! Smiley
Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Robert Hudson
3 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #22 - Oct 19th, 2014 at 3:10pm
Print Post  
Probably one of the oldest models that I designed that I have a photo of.  As I recall, it did not fly all that well.   I remember that odd tissue that I covered it with, it was junk.  I think it was meant to be an Embryo as it seems to have been inspired by the Prairie Bird.

( 247 KB | 57 Downloads )
oldcrappymodel.jpg

Tissue!

Gesundheit...

IP Logged

bigrip74
Administrator

What did l do this time!

Reply #21 - May 29th, 2014 at 10:08am
Print Post  
lincoln1, sure glad to have you here also!

Love your Seversky Smiley and you are correct the tissue is unique, is it age are was the tissue originally that color?

I need to start boxing my airplanes for future endeavors, at least those I wish to keep.

Would love to see the Sterling Monocoupe when you find the photo, I remember building many Sterling kits and I can see why they are a little heavy.

Bob

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!
IP Logged

lincoln1

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #20 - May 28th, 2014 at 11:37pm
Print Post  
Here are pictures of my Seversky racer, which I made from the Golden Age P-35 kit. I think I started this one around 1993, finished possibly the next year. It's surprising I still have it after catching some thermals. One flight was about 4 minutes. Very lucky because it landed right next to a road we were walking on to find it, in a residential neighborhood.  I've included a picture of it in the storage box, and a nose detail showing the adjustable nose block using magnets to retain it. The upper and lower screws are steel. I'm glad I ran across this thread. I didn't remember fixing it and thought it was unflyable. If I want to fix it some more, it will be tough to match that color.

If I knew just where it was, I'd show a picture of my Sterling peanut Monocoupe. Pretty but heavy. The plastic nose piece became brittle and cracked, causing it to behave strangely and crash. I suppose I could fix it for a ceiling ornament, but it's massively overweight. I started it in the late 1970's, left it alone for maybe 14 years, then finished it and flew it, at least some. I imagine it needs new tissue by now.

( 149 KB | 107 Downloads )
seversky_in_2014_edit_1.jpg
( 237 KB | 37 Downloads )
seversky_box_edit1.jpg
( 80 KB | 55 Downloads )
seversky_nose_detail_edit_1.jpg

IP Logged

bigrip74
Administrator

What did l do this time!

Reply #19 - Apr 17th, 2014 at 11:19pm
Print Post  
Thayer, that bipe looks really nice and l bet she flew or still flys well. To me the secret to some of the old models still around is the packing container and would love to see how you have kept this pretty little bipe the past 25 or so years.

Bob

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #18 - Apr 17th, 2014 at 10:26pm
Print Post  
Thayer...thanks for sharing the Peanut Bellanca Light Tractor biplane.  What a great looking model.  Also welcome to S&T glad to have you aboard. 

If I remember your registration you're editor of Flying Models?  Great publication, really enjoy it!  Hope to see more of your posts.

Thanks for sharing with us! 

Tom

IP Logged

Thayer

Editor - Flying Models

Reply #17 - Apr 17th, 2014 at 10:00pm
Print Post  
And here is the old girl now.

You can see more about it on this page.
http://www.gryffinaero.com/models/ffpages/models/bell1.html

Thayer

IP Logged

Thayer

Editor - Flying Models

Reply #16 - Apr 17th, 2014 at 9:59pm
Print Post  
My oldest extant stick and tissue model dates to the winter of 1988/89. It is the Peanut Bellanca Light Tractor biplane that was the centerfold plan in the October 1972 issue of Model Builder. If you have the set of MB disks, you have the plans.

I am still post-restricted, so will follow this up with the image and link.

Thayer

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #15 - Nov 27th, 2013 at 12:13pm
Print Post  
She's a beaut!!!  Sorry about the first one...the joys and sorrows of FF!

Tom

IP Logged

staubkorb
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #14 - Nov 25th, 2013 at 7:04am
Print Post  
I forgot to add what I think to be my oldest, still flyable S&T rubber-powered plane.  The Stott "Fairchild 24" round-nose (radial engined) dimer.  The one pictured is of the first one that went OOS on its third or fourth trimming flight - IRRC, late 2005.  I started the second that same evening and had it flying by the following weekend - first weekend 2006.

If flys just as well as the first one did, but I still have it thanks to a tighter circle - and more attention paid to the number of turns cranked in and the wind above ground level.

( 42 KB | 59 Downloads )
Stott_Fairchild24.jpg

WWWoFF
Wonderful Wacky World of Free Flight
(with a bit of rc thrown in for giggles)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
IP Logged

John Webster
3 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #13 - Nov 23rd, 2013 at 12:20am
Print Post  
That Jim Walker Firebaby brought back memories. Mine was my first gas powered model. It came with an OK .049 and a sheet aluminum prop which cut the heck out of my dad's fingers when he started it for me. It did the dreaded figure 9 on it's first flight. That would have been about 1959.

When you begin to fly you are issued two bags, one full of luck and an empty one for experience.&&The object is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

IP Logged

bigrip74
Administrator

What did l do this time!

Reply #12 - Nov 22nd, 2013 at 11:58pm
Print Post  
All of my planes were either destroyed in flight or by the moves in my life. I just got back into building (4yrs. ago) the oldest (2yrs old) is also the besy flying airplane that I have ever had a Keith Rider Jack Rabbit. I just noticed the camera date stamp was never set it still reads the date of purchase.

Bob
« Last Edit: Feb 24th, 2015 at 8:26am by bigrip74 »  

( 99 KB | 55 Downloads )
p010.JPG

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #11 - Jul 24th, 2013 at 6:35pm
Print Post  
Pete,

Thanks for sharing.  Those gliders remind me of my first HLG and my real start in the modeling hobby.  Great fun and unfortunately lost her OOS after 6.5 minutes.  A great thrill and heart break!

Tom

IP Logged

staubkorb
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #10 - Jul 24th, 2013 at 11:57am
Print Post  
The OLDEST model in my hangar is a 63" rc SPITFIRE, built in 1969, but finished (=painted with more than the base coat) in 2007.  It's followed by a small rc biplane, scratched from a plan out of RCModeler with a span of 30" (built, flown in '72) - been crashed three times, three new bottom wings, worn out three Webra Speed .20's.

Both of theses oldies are being converted to electric.

The oldest S&T bit that I still have is a wing-half to a Comet Super Stars "Spitfire", the one with the geodetic wing construction and the paper tube fuz crutch - couldn't bring myself to throw it away (built sometime in the early '70's).  The thing actuall flew once I removed the paper tube, opened up all the formers I could get at, a WHOLE lot of down-thrust and some halfway decent rubber (think it was Pirelli).

The oldest FF model that is STILL in use is my 16" HLG, built in '86 and converted to CLG in 2006-7, that I've re-named "Whatsis" cause I can't for the life of me remember what it was called.  The wing and fin are original, the stab got smallerized (original wood Wink), but the fuz is "new" thanks to a lawn dart onto concrete - a blessing in disguise, as the fuz alone weighed 19 grams.  It's in no way competitive, but a fun flyer nontheless.

Photo#1: "Whatsis" before conversion
Photo#2: After conversion and other mods

( 157 KB | 50 Downloads )
HLglider.JPG
( 60 KB | 35 Downloads )
2011_0208Whatsis160001.JPG

WWWoFF
Wonderful Wacky World of Free Flight
(with a bit of rc thrown in for giggles)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #9 - Jul 4th, 2013 at 11:13am
Print Post  
Gorgeous Pat,

Thanks for sharing. I've always love the lines of this model since first seeing it!  On my "To Do" list.  She doesn't look 20+ years old!!!  Well Done!

Thanks again for sharing her with us!

Tom

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Send TopicPrint