Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Show Us Your Oldest Models (Read 48168 times)
DAVE Q
Global Moderator

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

The ARROWHEAD
Reply #38 - Aug 27th, 2016 at 4:28am
Print Post  

I know this is not exactely old, as old goes. But this is the first model I built when I got back into the hobby about 4 years ago. Finished building it and walked out the back door and gave it a toss. Went clear accross the yard and down into the woods. Flies great. I would like to put a hook on the bottom of it for rubber launch. Is there a theory or something for the location aft from the nose or fwd of the CG? Or am I worrying to much, put a pin in it and move it around to what works best. I do actually have a 95% complete C/L biplane, and a 20% complete corsair up in the attic that I built back around 1985. I see you have a Corsair build going. But I only have 4 planes now on my priority build list already. And 2 are half done. So many planes, and so little time.

( 243 KB | 92 Downloads )
arrowhead.JPG

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Re: Show Us Your Oldest Models
Reply #37 - Oct 28th, 2015 at 12:19am
Print Post  
Lincoln....great old timer powered Free Flight!  I would guess that the silk being bad on one side is a result of the glow or diesel engine exhaust that powered the plane.  A DT was common use on these Free Flight models to assist bring them down out of a thermal. 

What are your plans for this great old girl?  Electric conversion would be a great option!
Thanks for sharing her with us!
Sky9pilot

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

lincoln1

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #36 - Oct 28th, 2015 at 12:00am
Print Post  
Does silk count? I think this is a Cleveland Viking. It's the oldest model I have, though I have a couple of kits that might be pre-WWII. Picked it up at a free flight auction when no one else wanted it. Not sure why the silk on the top and one side of the fuselage is so much worse than the rest. The color is going to be hard to match. Looks like it was being converted to a brushed electric motor. Still has DT stuff on it, which might explain why the tail is missing. Seems very light, though I haven't weighed it.

( 389 KB | 87 Downloads )
viking_cleveland_before_repair_cropped_and_shrunk.jpg

IP Logged

Ultomato

witty comment here

Reply #35 - Oct 27th, 2015 at 1:09am
Print Post  
These Peanuts date from 2004. Found them in the attic. They've not been flown yet.

Moderator I posted this accidently somewhere else on the site, I don't know where  Roll Eyes I you can find it would you please delete it?

The Internet expects me to say something here.

IP Logged

RJ
Ex Member

Reply #34 - Oct 1st, 2015 at 5:33am
Print Post  
Not sure whether this is a valid entry as all I have left of this Midwest Dyna-Moe is the folding prop!

I built the model in 1964 as a Boy Scout project. Four or five of us Scouts each built one and finished the project with a fly off. I think I placed third, but more exciting to me was that it actually flew, and flew well!

Successfully building and flying this model was quite an accomplishment for a 16 year old who had only messed around with a few C/L models previously.

The setting for the photos is the backyard of my parents home in Kent, WA where I was born and raised.

Richard

( 110 KB | 91 Downloads )
Midwest_Dyna-Moe_0764-1.jpg
( 130 KB | 82 Downloads )
Midwest_Dyna-Moe_0764-2.jpg

IP Logged

Bullwrinkle
2 Star Member

Gluing my fingers together
for 60 years

Reply #33 - Jun 10th, 2015 at 10:44am
Print Post  
Here's another in flight shot, a little more complete this time with wheel pants and windows.

( 150 KB | 103 Downloads )
TCraft2.jpg

IP Logged

bigrip74
Ex Member

Reply #32 - Jun 9th, 2015 at 2:34pm
Print Post  
Bullwrinkle, nice airplane. The only thing that makes this a/c look like a stick and tissue is the antenna. I thought that it was a real Taylorcraft at first.

Bob

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #31 - Jun 9th, 2015 at 1:47pm
Print Post  
Bullwrinkle....great looking Taylorcraft!  Nothing like seeing them in the air.  Please post your build of the next one.  I'd love to follow that build.
Sky9pilot

IP Logged

Bullwrinkle
2 Star Member

Gluing my fingers together
for 60 years

Reply #30 - Jun 9th, 2015 at 12:26pm
Print Post  
This is my oldest, a Comet 54" Taylorcraft I built in 1985 as rubber power, then converted to electric in 2003.  I still have it, but it needs repair.  I love this kit, and have built it 3 times in my life, and rather that repair it, I plan to build it again, RC ready, from a kit I've had hanging around for years.

( 243 KB | 80 Downloads )
taylor1.jpg

IP Logged

staubkorb
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #29 - Apr 11th, 2015 at 3:39am
Print Post  
Love the Ram Rod!  Had a 600 back in '58-'59 last seen flying over the Las Mitras mountains - still climbing - in Monterrey on it's way toward Saltillo (WITH the stab DT'd!) Smiley Sad.

Is it an optical illusion, or are the ribs in your 250 sliced/bent?

Gots to build another one of theses mothers (but nowhere to really let it fly)...

WWWoFF
Wonderful Wacky World of Free Flight
(with a bit of rc thrown in for giggles)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
IP Logged

bigrip74
Ex Member

Reply #28 - Apr 8th, 2015 at 7:35pm
Print Post  
beckerp360. It looks like a visit to your work shop is in order, nice models all around I see.

Thanks for sharing them with us.

Bob

IP Logged

beckerp360

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #27 - Apr 8th, 2015 at 6:16pm
Print Post  
1957 Ron St, Jeans Ram Rod 250 w/ original Thermal Hopper 049 built from the MAN magazine Issue I still have!
It was flown to 3d place at the 1957 Yankee Championships at NAS North Weymouth( behind Woody Blanchard!) when I was 15...my first contest!
Recovered in 1993 with clear monocote, original silkspan had shrunk and pulled it out of shape..fuselage still has the original  orange Silkspan and butyrate dope.. last flown 1994...engine still runs/Tatone timer still works.. probably SAM qualifiable,  I have an unflown 1958 1/2A ZERO too ! ( discovered  girls and no  big fields in Western CT..) Wink

( 79 KB | 59 Downloads )
RamRod_250_1957-1.jpg

IP Logged

beckerp360

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #26 - Apr 8th, 2015 at 5:47pm
Print Post  
My AJ Firebaby had an OK Cub 049 and a sheet aluminum prop...un-breakable..unlike fingers!,,but infinitely re shapable...we flew ours to death too..moved on to VECO and others, Fox 19's, Johnson 35 rat-racers ( still have scars i-on fingers from that!..049 went on Berkley helicopter with motor facing straight up, blades turned by reaction....and a bunch of other flying machines......

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #25 - Jan 12th, 2015 at 12:24pm
Print Post  
Thanks for sharing this great looking plane DW!
Sky9pilot

IP Logged

David Wright

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #24 - Jan 12th, 2015 at 10:43am
Print Post  
Hi.
Veron Cardinal, re-covered & micro RC added.
The mills 75 was purchased in the early 60s & still runs beautifully.

DW

( 197 KB | 78 Downloads )
Veron_Cardinal.jpg

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Send TopicPrint