Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Miter Sander 2.0 (Read 12392 times)
staubkorb
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Re: Miter Sander 2.0
Reply #5 - Mar 18th, 2015 at 6:09am
Print Post  
For those who have not tried the PermaGrit products, I can vouch for the usefulness of everything they offer.  I know Ian Richardson (owner of P-G) and his wife personally, and see him at nearly all the trade shows I'm able to attend.  He really stands by his product!

A bit pricey at first glance, but the stuff doesn't wear out!  One CAN ruin a tool, but it isn't easy.  Big savings can be realized in less than a year (a bit more if you're allergic to sanding) over the use of regular sandpaper thru grades up to about 280.  For super-fine finish, grades of 400 on up of regular (wet & dry) paper are still needed.  Tools I made while working at the sailplane shop are STILL in use (except for ones ruined thru misuse).

Don't spend too much time thinking about getting some of the products, DO it!  The sheet stuff is available in coarse, medium and fine.

Pete
sent from my dumb-phone...

WWWoFF
Wonderful Wacky World of Free Flight
(with a bit of rc thrown in for giggles)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
IP Logged

thymekiller
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #4 - Dec 21st, 2013 at 8:51pm
Print Post  
Thanks! Smiley

",,,The road goes on forever, and the party never ends..."

IP Logged

Ambraske
2 Star Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #3 - Oct 21st, 2013 at 12:45pm
Print Post  
I bought the miter sander (and cutter) at my local hobby shop but Tower hobbies seem to have them too.

I bought a whole bunch of Permagrit tools some time ago in a store in Johannesburg, South-Africa. Actually, I bought the lot just because they were available at the time (and cheaper than having them shipped from the UK, believe it or not). They are great tools and I couldn't do without them anymore. The flexible strips are really great because you can cut them to size. I do advise to use some proper tin snips for this! Alternatively you can also cut some wooden blocks to the size of the strips and glue them on (I used some cut off MDF planks I nicked at my father-in-law's work shop  Wink). Since they're flexible one could also glue them on round shapes (e.g. for the sanding of balsa props).
btw, the coarse grid is REALLY coarse so be careful when you use it for sanding trailing edges. 

IP Logged

thymekiller
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #2 - Oct 21st, 2013 at 9:17am
Print Post  
VERY COOL TOOL!!!!
Got a link to where we can get one?
Hows that perma grit paper working out? I almost bought some and still thinking about it.

",,,The road goes on forever, and the party never ends..."

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #1 - Oct 16th, 2013 at 5:40pm
Print Post  
Great stuff... thanks for sharing the insight about the flexible strips. 

Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Ambraske
2 Star Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Miter Sander 2.0
Oct 16th, 2013 at 12:27pm
Print Post  
Hi guys

It's very likely that some of you have already come up with this idea when I was still in diapers but I thought I'd share it anyway...
I love using this Miter Sander by Foremost Products but I got fed up replacing the sanding paper every 5 minutes. Especially because you only use a very small portion of the sanding paper so there's quite a lot of waste.
I found these really cool flexible strips from Perma-Grit a few months ago but it took me a while to put 2 and 2 together... Cheesy
The great thing is that you can cut these strips to size and glue them on a sanding block of (virtually) any kind of shape or form.
I used non-permanent glue (Scotch) and it tends to hold pretty well.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint