Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Strange Things In The Sky (Read 4357 times)
thymekiller
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Re: Strange Things In The Sky
Reply #8 - Mar 23rd, 2015 at 2:09am
Print Post  
FIFi came to Springfield once. I got a vid but the sound just doesn't work like being there. That thing shakes the ground!!!!!
Love those guys and what they do!!!

",,,The road goes on forever, and the party never ends..."

IP Logged

bigrip74
Administrator

What did l do this time!

Reply #7 - Mar 22nd, 2015 at 4:23pm
Print Post  
Kittyfritters, thanks for the photo of a beautiful airplane. I had the chance to be up close to FIFI for a week while she and many other war birds were at the hanger that I was working on at ADDISON airport back in the late 80's or early 90's my memory escapes me but WOW what a sight.

Bob

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!
IP Logged

Kittyfritters
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #6 - Mar 22nd, 2015 at 3:16pm
Print Post  
I took this photo of Fifi yesterday.  I have a video of the entire starting process on my cellphone, but it is too long to email it to myself.  I'll have to edit it.

When the first engine started, with the typical cloud of oil smoke from a cold radial, someone behind me said, "I guess they didn't have to smog that!"

The takeoff was very gentle since they had an 8000 foot runway and it is, after all, an old airplane.  I wish I could post some inflights, but I didn't have the $595 to $1695 to take a flight (depending on where in the plane you sit).   They did three flights a day for the four days it was here and they were all sold out before the plane got here!

( 100 KB | 20 Downloads )
Fifi.JPG

Qua sublata omnia praecepta legis
IP Logged

Kittyfritters
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #5 - Aug 29th, 2014 at 10:35pm
Print Post  
Sky9pilot wrote on Aug 29th, 2014 at 2:44pm:
Out here in rural So. WA I was in the Burger King drive thru when I heard the sound of multi radial engines...I looked up and to my surprise I saw a B-29 going overhead at about 5000 ft.  Might have been "Fifi" on tour, probably on way to Seattle.  We're directly north of Portland PDX which shares the airport with an interceptor squadron of F-15's may have been an airshow down there. 

What a treat that was!

Tom

I am one of the Black Sheep Squadron volunteers that work with the Yellow Jackets model club at the Luther Middle School in Burbank.  Fifi had made a tour stop at  the Bob Hope Airport the previous weekend and as the lunch time model club meeting was breaking up it took off for its next stop.  The school is only a short distance from the end of the runway and the B-29 could not make the fighter like, noise abatement climb outs that the jet airliners make on departure so it rumbled low over the school causing every one on the school grounds to stop and stare.  A twenty-something teacher turned to me and asked what it was.  I gave her a Tweet length explanation of the B-29 and she was very surprised that something from WW2 was still flying.  I'll tell you, it's quite impressive when it is that close.

IP Logged

Colonel Manfred von Holstein
4 Star Member

Reply #4 - Aug 29th, 2014 at 3:10pm
Print Post  
There are only a couple handfuls of airworthy Fortresses left. This one caught me off guard earlier this year. It's a sight and sound to behold.

Can you imagine a sortie of fifty B-17's with 1800 cylinders of screaming Cyclone engine  descending over you with 200 tons of high explosives? By the middle of '45 I doubt there were more than a dozen clean pairs of underwear in Europe.

( 18 KB | 21 Downloads )
rps20140829_170257.jpg

3 rules of Free Flight: Keep it light, don't build heavy, and it shouldn't weigh much.

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #3 - Aug 29th, 2014 at 2:44pm
Print Post  
Out here in rural So. WA I was in the Burger King drive thru when I heard the sound of multi radial engines...I looked up and to my surprise I saw a B-29 going overhead at about 5000 ft.  Might have been "Fifi" on tour, probably on way to Seattle.  We're directly north of Portland PDX which shares the airport with an interceptor squadron of F-15's may have been an airshow down there. 

What a treat that was!

Tom

( 711 KB | 26 Downloads )
1920_July_1.jpg

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Kittyfritters
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #2 - Aug 29th, 2014 at 1:45pm
Print Post  
Back in May of 2013 a neighbor of mine was walking about the neighborhood taking pictures of birds.  He heard something strange, looked up, and snapped a picture of this.

( 89 KB | 22 Downloads )
B-17.jpg

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #1 - Jan 23rd, 2014 at 2:13pm
Print Post  
Kittyfritters wrote on Jan 23rd, 2014 at 12:06pm:
the  I'm just like a little kid with a Pavlovian reaction to airplane sounds.  Guilty!   Cheesy
Howard 

I thought my wife was the only one with that feeling!!! Smiley
In my rural area here I only get an occasional sight of a Blackhawk Heli every so often. Embarrassed Undecided Cry
Miss living near an AFB or NAS or airport.

Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Kittyfritters
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Strange Things In The Sky
Jan 23rd, 2014 at 12:06pm
Print Post  
On Monday I was hauling the trash cans to the curb for pickup day when I heard an aircraft overhead.  This is not unusual since I am a quarter mile off the center line of the runway at Bob Hope Airport (Lockheed) in Burbank, but this was one damn funny sounding airplane.  Looking up I saw a V-22, Osprey, for the first time in actual flight.  Now that I know what they sound like I will look up sooner when one comes over. 

I always know when there is an historic aircraft on tour visiting Burbank because I remember the sounds of airplanes they way my wife remembers the scent of perfumes.  I'm close enough to the airport that I can hear something with multiple, round engines taxiing for take off or the piercing whine of the turbos of a P-38 as it's take off run starts...sounds that never fail to get me to dash out of the house to watch them fly by.  My wife says that I'm just like a little kid with a Pavlovian reaction to airplane sounds.  Guilty!   Cheesy

Seen anything a wee bit different fly by lately?

Howard 

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint