Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Olfa Circle cutter (Read 8003 times)
staubkorb
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Re: Olfa Circle cutter
Reply #16 - Dec 16th, 2015 at 7:20am
Print Post  
The big box stores do seem to be downsizing their in-store selections - even here in Germany.  I've found artist supply stores to be a treasure trove for all kinds of goodies - but they are almost as hard to find as model shop...

I just ordered two new circle cutters that are different in construction from the OLFA.  They are, or seem to be, somewhat beefier - namely, the blade carrier (photo below).  All of the flexing issues I've had with my OLFA have been in the blade carrier/adjusting slide, and possibly in the blade itself (the blade cutting area is ground to half of the total stamping width).  The scale on the Donau is MUCH better that that of the OLFA in that it is readable!

The Donau blades seem to be the same thickness, but the width has not been touched.  Another possible plus is that the blade position (depth) is apparently adjustable.  Can also be used as a normal compass with the included leads.

I was expecting them to arrive today, but no luck.  I'll report as soon as they get here and I've a chance to try one out.

They were also considerably less expensive.  The pricing was, however, widely divergent from dealer to dealer.

( 50 KB | 1 Download )
Donau_circlcut.JPG

WWWoFF
Wonderful Wacky World of Free Flight
(with a bit of rc thrown in for giggles)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
IP Logged

NcGunny
5 Star Member

GO PANTHERS!

Reply #15 - Oct 7th, 2015 at 7:24pm
Print Post  
I pretty much went all through our Home Depot today and could find nothing to suit this need. Did run into a big magnet section. Found out they know longer carry balsa wood in store or online. Their aTitebond and Elmers wood glue is dirt cheap. Going through Wal-Mart tomorrow and Lowes,just becuz ours are side by side. I really want something that I can mod or already takes either #11 or #2 blades. Doubt my scalpel blades would work good for cutting circles.
Update: Made it to WalMart supercenter and found nothing really of much use.
« Last Edit: Oct 8th, 2015 at 4:06pm by NcGunny »  

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #14 - Oct 3rd, 2015 at 12:25pm
Print Post  
The cutter of the one I posted a link to doesn't use the same cutting blade.  I was wondering if a #11 blade might be fitted to that unit.
Sky9pilot

( 27 KB | 2 Downloads )
k2-_69a39a72-8345-42b2-960d-457659a8f25e_v1.jpg

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

NcGunny
5 Star Member

GO PANTHERS!

Reply #13 - Oct 3rd, 2015 at 7:48am
Print Post  
Once I checked them out and the optional listings they all have the same type of beveled cutting blade. I think this style will destroy the inside circle we want,but leaves the outside in nice shape. Hmm..i seem to remember a attachment for a Dremel that cuts perfect circles. I used to have paneling hole cutting bits,bought a whole boxed set from Harbor Freight. Drill multiple holes at once and.poke them out of the bit. Used the paneling because they had much more tpi than hardwood type. If you have a drill press you can remove pilot bit also for a solid center.

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #12 - Oct 2nd, 2015 at 7:34pm
Print Post  
Gunny...good call, hadn't thought of drywall cutters.  Here's a cutter sold by Walmart: Click Here
Not too expensive either $8.85 plus tax.  Have it pickup at the store and miss the delivery charge!
Sky9pilot

IP Logged

NcGunny
5 Star Member

GO PANTHERS!

Reply #11 - Oct 2nd, 2015 at 5:09pm
Print Post  
Finally I can see the blades..lol. I was beginning to thing they were some mystery design nobody dared photograph. I am sure they hold up fine for what they were designed for. Wood probably strains them to their limit,still beats me freehanding circles. I just got thinking that I saw a guy with something like this cutting circles in drywall. I might be mistaken but I am sure it said Cobalt on it,and the body looked aluminum. Isnt Cobalt tools sold at Lowes?

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #10 - Oct 2nd, 2015 at 12:45pm
Print Post  
Yep...that's the model I have and the extra blades are in the protective cover for the blade/pin once the cutter is collapsed to it's smallest setting.  The blades are snap apart like the hobby knife blades.

It does flex so patience and time are the best rule in cutting.  I'd love to have a sturdy aluminum version but haven't seen one I could afford!!!
Sky9pilot

IP Logged

staubkorb
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #9 - Oct 2nd, 2015 at 9:08am
Print Post  
The OLFA site has replacement blades, with photos, for the CMP-1 cutter:
http://www.olfaproducts.com/SPD/olfa-cob-1-olfa-refill-blades-for-cmp-1--15pk--3...

The CMP-1 come with five extra blades (already snapped to the individual blade).  It is definitely worth the money, tho I would willingly give out more for a sturdier frame (but NOT the price that the guy was asking for his metal copy - 35 Euro/70 DM).

I've been trying for ages to get my buddy's Proxxon milling setup to make one of my own out of aluminium.

WWWoFF

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
IP Logged

NcGunny
5 Star Member

GO PANTHERS!

Reply #8 - Oct 2nd, 2015 at 6:53am
Print Post  
What is the actual cutting blade? Is it a #11 or Olfa design deal? I cant find a google image anywhere that shows the stinking blade. I have a friend that converted a (cant think of exact name) circle thingie that you put a pencil in and
spin it to draw a circle. He made one so it holds a smaller Xacto..maybe #2. His circle thingie is higher grade than some Wal Mart school supply type. But I was wondering about the cutting deal and.cost of blades to replace.

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #7 - Apr 11th, 2014 at 9:32am
Print Post  
Pete...you're right, it requires slow and steady use. Especially with the thicker balsa.  I often turn the work over and cut from the opposite side when the thicker wood has been cut part way through on first side.  I've also found that the center hole needs to be reinforced with cya to keep it from getting out of shape and enlarged which will affect the roundness of the cut.

Tom

IP Logged

staubkorb
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #6 - Apr 10th, 2014 at 12:14pm
Print Post  
I've had one of these for ages, but I can't say that I was ever really pleased with it.  The frame is too flexible for anything (balsa) over 1/16" unless one is very careful and take time.  I saw a very nice (and rigid) model at a trade show about 15 years ago that was done in brass, but was too expensive for me at the time - over DM 70, and haven't seen it since.

WWWoFF

IP Logged

bigrip74
Administrator

What did l do this time!

Reply #5 - Apr 5th, 2014 at 8:21am
Print Post  
Dave, thanks for the heads up. Maybe l will be able to make bette wheels and cowls after l get an Olfa cutter. Most of my round wood is a hit and miss adventure.

Bob

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!
IP Logged

Dave Andreski
2 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #4 - Apr 5th, 2014 at 8:16am
Print Post  
Bob,
I bought mine at a store in Pennsylvania during a visit to family there.
Should be available at most craft stores/shops.
Our local 'Ben Franklin' craft store carries them.
Dave

IP Logged

bigrip74
Administrator

What did l do this time!

Reply #3 - Apr 5th, 2014 at 8:08am
Print Post  
Dave, what store did you get yours? lf there is one here l may not need to send off for one, l would rather get it locally.

Bob

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!
IP Logged

Dave Andreski
2 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #2 - Apr 5th, 2014 at 7:25am
Print Post  
I found mine at a fabric/dressmaker's shop.
I have two sizes. I guess they only make one now?
Dave

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint