Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Round2it (Read 6835 times)
alan
3 Star Member

Re: Round2it
Reply #20 - May 10th, 2020 at 4:12pm
Print Post  
Its a great nice slow flyer!! Nice and relaxed flying, perfect. It can do continuous loops without losing altitude, which is a lot of fun too!

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #19 - May 10th, 2020 at 11:59am
Print Post  
She looks like a nice slow flyer.  A good way to spend an afternoon.

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

alan
3 Star Member

Reply #18 - May 10th, 2020 at 4:05am
Print Post  
There is still some balsa left, not just a flying tube of glue!!

( 155 KB | 15 Downloads )
IMG-20200509-WA0009.jpeg

IP Logged

alan
3 Star Member

Reply #17 - May 10th, 2020 at 3:58am
Print Post  
I can't believe it has been 6 years since I last posted about the round2it glider!
Well it has seen a good few crashes and repairs since then.
It got stuck high in a tree and broke its back on retrieval. I repaired it and it flew again.
Then a while ago it lost radio link on landing and broke the firewall and a lot of the nose damaged.
I left it in the sorry state for far too long Roll Eyes

So just yesterday I took it down and had a look at the damage. In the end I used cyano to tack the firewall in place then some 1mm ply and epoxy to repair. I also added 1 layer of very light fibreglass cloth to repair the nose.

Repairs feel peetty solid, even though now it has a good few degrees extra of right thrust Grin

It was a great sunny and calm evening, so went to the park where I first maidened the glider 6 years ago!

Well it flew amazingly well, especially considering that it contains mostly glue and not much balsa! Cheesy
Climbed up into the blue sky and cut back the throttle to float around in the small thermals....just very relaxing and therapeutic. Also a good cure for the guilt of seeing it broken for the last year and more!

I learnt to fly with this model, it is amazing how much punnishment it takes and just keeps on flying!
As yoy can see I really need to cover the wing with the original yellow.....it deserves some TLC!

Even the same set of 2S lipos are soldiering on and giving plenty of flying time on 3 of these small models, P51 and Corsair also.

I have bigger models now but its hard to beat the enjoyment of seeing these small ones doing their thing in the air on a sunny day!

( 174 KB | 11 Downloads )
20200510_102728.jpg

IP Logged

alan
3 Star Member

Reply #16 - Jun 12th, 2014 at 5:48pm
Print Post  
Great evening here, flying was great, totally addicted to it like a big kid!

Here's a few stills from the video camera. This field is great, the long grass catches the glider like arrestor wires on an aircraft carrier....without the whiplash!

( 234 KB | 11 Downloads )
Snapshot_6__12-06-2014_23-53_.png
( 137 KB | 13 Downloads )
Snapshot_1__12-06-2014_23-43_.png
( 167 KB | 10 Downloads )
Snapshot_8__12-06-2014_23-55_.png
( 145 KB | 16 Downloads )
Snapshot_2__12-06-2014_23-44_.png

IP Logged

alan
3 Star Member

Reply #15 - Jun 5th, 2014 at 5:29pm
Print Post  
Cheers Tom, lovely stuff! Ha, I had the camera pointing to the tail, trying to avoid the prop distortion. But I've another short video of it up now, with a bit of gliding in it.

Had a good week so far, weather is good and addicted to flying it now!!

Made the mistake of letting it get a little too far away, could only see it as a an outline, against the setting sun, crashed it, but  happily no problem, it survived in one piece!
Will keep it out of the sun in future!

Anyhoo, here's a little video of it,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4STJVgNT8OA&feature=youtu.be

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #14 - Jun 4th, 2014 at 12:04am
Print Post  
Alan...looks like you're having great fun!!!  Brings back fond memories.  Interesting that your camera only sees where you've been.  At first I didn't realize it was on the plane.  Great fun.  Thanks for the link and keep up the great work!
Tom

IP Logged

alan
3 Star Member

Reply #13 - Jun 3rd, 2014 at 5:21pm
Print Post  
Well thanks to everyone here, have the dihedral sorted and elevator is not causing it to bank to the right anymore. All is good with it so far! Plenty of long grass to keep it in one piece!

It flies great, as slow as you like with barely any power applied, or full power it'll climb nearly vertical. Loving climbing out and cutting the engine for a glide back low and then power on again for another climb!

Here's a video of it today, managed a loop or two somewhere!
You'll notice me keeping it in a left turn nearly all the time....it's a novelty, as it refused to do this before!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Yo5xXgTo10

IP Logged

alan
3 Star Member

Reply #12 - May 15th, 2014 at 1:20am
Print Post  
Hi Tom!

Ah cheers for that, you're right, it will do damage. i took it out last night and am waiting on model weights to arrive tomorrow, for the time being I put the little keychain camera on the nose to balance it out.

Had the first few very short flights yesterday, it kept steep turning to the right for some reason.....it turned out that it was just the elastic bands not tight enough holding the wing down, now it goes straight..........the motor mount plywood came away on the last nose in from a right turn, a bit of glue and it's perfect again to hopefully fly this evening...hope to get a proper flight today.

Thanks for the reply, hope the flying and building are going well!

Wink

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #11 - May 14th, 2014 at 6:40pm
Print Post  
that musket ball might do some damage "over" the components.  Especially just taped to the hatch cover.  If you go to a tire store they might give you some old wheel weights.  Most recycle now, but you could try.    another option if you don't mind messing up the musket ball is smash it with a hammer and flatten it out to better fit the hatch and them glue it to the hatch with epoxy. 

Just a thought...would be easier than having to replace broken or damaged component of the radio/battery etc.

Tom

IP Logged

alan
3 Star Member

Reply #10 - May 13th, 2014 at 11:18am
Print Post  
Everything is ready to go now, I've got the Transmitter just today, so hoping to fly it for first time tomorrow. Think weather is meant to be ok.

IP Logged

alan
3 Star Member

Reply #9 - May 12th, 2014 at 11:51am
Print Post  
Here's the ballast, fit's in perfectly, I'll pack some foam on top of ESC and battery to cushion it if it falls!

( 170 KB | 13 Downloads )
IMG_7227.JPG
( 175 KB | 10 Downloads )
IMG_7228.JPG

IP Logged

alan
3 Star Member

Reply #8 - May 12th, 2014 at 9:56am
Print Post  
Well, have it ready to fly now. I'm waiting on a radio for the 2.4 Ghz receiver, should get it in the next few days.  HobbyKing let me down, so waiting on a refund from them.

But took it out as it is without any power and just did 2 test throws in long grass to check out if my balancing was right, it flew great!!! Straight and true, nice glide from a short throw, even caught a tiny bit of lift for a second!

So I'm hoping this is a good omen for it flying nicely.

I had to add nearly an ounce to get the C of G on the spar as the plans recommend.....the only thing I had that worked is an old musket ball that my grandfather found years ago!! It fits perfectly to the battery hatch, so that's what I'll use!

Itching to get flying it now, hopefully in a few days I'll have some results!

Flew the foam glider all morning, 3 batteries flat and then out for 1 last shot, was great. It got some nice altitude, just holding like a kite in a windy enough day, diving down, doing a few loops with the speed, it must've been a few hundred feet up, I couldn't hear the motor at full throttle so it was away a bit, but responded to controls perfectly, happy days!

Ah it's all good, sure I'll put up a photo or two in a few minutes!

Grin

IP Logged

alan
3 Star Member

Reply #7 - May 6th, 2014 at 7:29pm
Print Post  
Here's a short video of me flying it today. Nice bit of sun, but also a nice wind to go with it!! Was just fighting the wind most of the time, as you might notice!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgMCOSGhtAM&feature=youtu.be

IP Logged

alan
3 Star Member

Reply #6 - May 6th, 2014 at 5:37pm
Print Post  
Here's one of the 808 key fob cameras, they are amazing and very very cheap. I bought mine here in Ireland for just 10 euro, 14 dollars in US. The sound and picture are great, especially since it's in such a small and lightweight package. I'm addicted to it now, have some great footage flying around here!

( 23 KB | 11 Downloads )
camera.png

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint