Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 26 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) A KK Senator Cookup (Read 145193 times)
staubkorb
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Re: A KK Senator Cookup
Reply #387 - May 24th, 2016 at 7:12am
Print Post  
Kites are good as well.  Just be careful CLG's are highly addictive and can WILL intrude on other modeling endeavors!

WWWoFF
Wonderful Wacky World of Free Flight
(with a bit of rc thrown in for giggles)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #386 - May 23rd, 2016 at 12:45pm
Print Post  
Colonel... I recommend making some CLG's (catapult launched gliders) for the fetchermites when the wind is too high or other issue negate flying the bigger birds.  They're loads of fun and you can hold the launch stick and allow them to pull the gliders back.  They'll have great fun and learn to experiment on the launch angles etc.  Plus they'll be able to chase these down and bring them back expending lots of energy. 

Kites are good as well.  Just be careful CLG's are highly addictive and can intrude on other modeling endeavors!

Sky9pilot

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Colonel Manfred von Holstein
4 Star Member

Reply #385 - May 23rd, 2016 at 11:42am
Print Post  
Thanks guys. You can either call it brave or foolish depending on your perspective. The idea was to get some glides in on a hill with a 20' drop in elevation. So those tests were all away from the trees. The trouble was I wasn't expecting a crowed field so the two short test flights were in the vicinity of trees. After it hit one branch I packed it up. The kids had fun chasing it around though. I did take the advice to pack some kites along in case the wind came up. I have a feeling they'll really enjoy that. Funny thing about redheaded children... nobody told me about all the attention and comments they'd garner. His younger brother behind the camera with momma is a ginger too so it's always a topic of discussion wherever we go.

I posted a question about torque meters in the general questions section if any of you experienced flyers would care to weigh in.

3 rules of Free Flight: Keep it light, don't build heavy, and it shouldn't weigh much.

IP Logged

staubkorb
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #384 - May 19th, 2016 at 7:31am
Print Post  
VERY brave flying a SENATOR with trees in the close vicinity!  Great to see it in the air!

I usually had my kids with me when they were little.  Sometimes they got a bit out of hand, but a chuckie or "banishment" Roll Eyes to a play area cured all problems.  Miss those days.

I was going to order one of those torque meters two weeks ago, but I have to wait till next month - the price was a bit more than I anticipated not to forget the rather high postage and import taxes putting it over my budget.  A very important tool for getting the most out of a model.

WWWoFF
Wonderful Wacky World of Free Flight
(with a bit of rc thrown in for giggles)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #383 - May 18th, 2016 at 10:51am
Print Post  
Outstanding Colonel....love the shots of the fetchermites too!!!  Great stuff.  They'll remember these times forever! 
Sky9pilot

IP Logged

cdwebb
4 Star Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #382 - May 18th, 2016 at 10:24am
Print Post  
I remember those days when the kids were little. And I had one that was just that read headed! He's 32 now and has a 5 year old that is also just that red headed. (He's here right now faking illness to avoid school) I still wonder where those years went...

I hope you can find a convenient place to let your Senator loose. I have no doubt that you'll get it all sorted out and have plenty of fun with it. Love seeing the pics!!  Cool

IP Logged

4 Star Member

Reply #381 - May 17th, 2016 at 9:44am
Print Post  
We were able to fit in a quick trim session last night after work. There was a slight breeze going and a pick-up game of adult kickball starting up, so my airspace was limited. She started out porpoising in a glide test. A little tail shim and nose weight got her gliding well down the hillside. Once I was pretty sure it wouldn't hit her I was able to toss it over my bride's head standing down the hill for an overhead picture. The second picture is when I wound it up about a hundred and fifty turns and let her go. Nice steep climb without stalling, glide coming down was slow and shallow. Need to work on some right turn though. On the next attempt the clay must have fallen off the nose after launch because it climbed okay but stalled at the top and started porpoising. It went nose first into a tree branch and fell to the ground. Put one little dink in the prop and the music wire hold down under the wing is a bit loose. It was CA'd on, so maybe a smear of epoxy will hold it better. I also have a new Volare torque meter coming my way now. After repairing the wing I'll be ready to try it out in a bigger field soon. I'll post pictures in went flying from here on out. Lots of fun was had by all, and my fetchermites were even pretty easy in their handling of it.

( 138 KB | 88 Downloads )
2016-05-17_09-39-58.jpg
( 125 KB | 89 Downloads )
2016-05-17_09-38-45.jpg
( 191 KB | 83 Downloads )
2016-05-17_11-43-22.jpg
( 106 KB | 81 Downloads )
2016-05-17_11-50-48.jpg
( 76 KB | 90 Downloads )
2016-05-17_11-51-02.jpg

3 rules of Free Flight: Keep it light, don't build heavy, and it shouldn't weigh much.

IP Logged

4 Star Member

Reply #380 - Apr 28th, 2016 at 9:57pm
Print Post  
Very cool! I saw the series of machining posts over the weekend on his Facebook page but only of the meter for the Rees and not the Sidewinder. Thanks for the heads up. I've got a little PayPal loot squirreled away for necessities like this Smiley

IP Logged

cdwebb
4 Star Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #379 - Apr 28th, 2016 at 8:10pm
Print Post  
Colonel Manfred von Holstein wrote on Apr 12th, 2016 at 9:16pm:
...I've found a little info on Rex Hinson torque meters and I'd love to find one or make something similar that's attached directly to the winder...

You should check this out, Colonel...http://volareproducts.com/?p=2041

IP Logged

cdwebb
4 Star Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #378 - Apr 15th, 2016 at 7:24pm
Print Post  
Nice box, Colonel! I'd be interested to know where you sourced the foam board. I've never seen Gator Foam, but then I seldom go anywhere and will happily do without until it hurts. Do you think it will be some pretty ding resistant stuff? Is tape all that holds things together? I have thought about doing the same thing, but all I've been able to locate is like 3/16th board. Not nearly stout enough.

No excuse now for not cranking in plenty of turns with that winder. I'm not sure I'll be able to resist the temptation to grab one myself. I'll certainly need to swallow hard before I do!  Winder - $100.00, wife like that - priceless. I'd keep her if I were you!

IP Logged

applehoney
3 Star Member

Reply #377 - Apr 13th, 2016 at 8:47am
Print Post  

>  I think it's an older model because all the ones I've seen pictures of have red gears.

Perhaps the reverse;  I've had mine  some 25 years or more and it has a red gear.    Check around for a Sidewinder torque meter which attaches directly to the winder.   I did also have a counter but eventually discarded it as it served no purpose for me once I got used to winding to torque.

Yes ... I guess I do get through a lot of rubber! It's my belief that if a model is to fly then it should be flown to its limit     Grin

IP Logged

4 Star Member

Reply #376 - Apr 12th, 2016 at 9:16pm
Print Post  
Thanks fellas. Lots of good reading materiel.

Jim, I know you try to fly at the upper limit of your models, and really go thru the rubber, so you're probably close to the breaking point.  I was able to find one reference to torque on the HPA Senator thread. It was 36 oz/in BUT it was a homebrew meter and he used a short fat motor. I've found a little info on Rex Hinson torque meters and I'd love to find one or make something similar that's attached directly to the winder. It's nice the way these winders are built with the hex end threaded onto the shaft and then set screwed.  I think it's an older model because all the ones I've seen pictures of have red gears. And yes, I know I'm a lucky man that she tolerates my hobby let alone supports it. Being something the kids can get involved with that doesn't involve flat screen devices is part of it I'm sure.

Anyway, I'll try making a tube and music wire one first. Having a usable range that's also suitable for my FA Moths would be nice.  Any good reason I can't make it long enough to double up as my winding rod to go with the blast tube? It should be a little beefier wire at that length.

( 34 KB | 101 Downloads )
1_4d584bb7c3f2b981a797409f44e3e0cb.jpg

IP Logged

applehoney
3 Star Member

Reply #375 - Apr 12th, 2016 at 5:27pm
Print Post  
You have a good winder there, Colonel ... and a wife worth keeping   Cheesy   My Sidewinder has given many years of reliable service.

I have the Sidewinder torque meter attachment which is calibrated up to no less than 130 in/oz  !

For a Senator with 6 strands of 1/4", or equivalent. at 30 gms. I'm comfortable winding to around the 20 in/oz mark; varies a little depending upon which model.   However, bearing in mind that you may well build  larger and more powerful models in the future  I'd suggest you think of a substantially upper limit.

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #374 - Apr 12th, 2016 at 4:38pm
Print Post  
You might find this post helpful as well. Click Here
Sky9pilot

IP Logged

RJ
3 Star Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #373 - Apr 12th, 2016 at 4:03pm
Print Post  
Nice storage/transport box!

I cannot answer your question about the torque range you will need, but the following references may help. I recently built a torque meter (photo below) using the resource you found plus the following references. I had essentially the same question(s) you have and made a guess about what I might need. I haven't had much of a chance to use it, but FWIW the torque reading for my 2-strand 1/8" motors at 80% max turns is about 1 in oz, and the reading for my 2-strand 3/16" motors at 80% max turns is about 2 in oz.

http://www.modelflight.com/rubber.html

http://www.gryffinaero.com/models/ffpages/tools/torque/torquetech.html

http://www.volareproducts.com/PFFT/TorqueMeterKothe.pdf

http://www.volareproducts.com/PFFT/TorqueMeterForSmallModels.pdf

Would like to know what you finally come up with.

( 57 KB | 71 Downloads )
Torque_Meter.jpg

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 26
Send TopicPrint