Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Razor Planes (Read 3319 times)
staubkorb
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Re: Razor Planes
Reply #4 - Jan 6th, 2015 at 5:34am
Print Post  
I always get a kick at some of the outrageous prices many of those skinners try to (and DO) get for articles that were sold in the millions - just by claiming "rare" or "unique".  A prime example are Cox engines...

Whatever plane you get, you'll want to - and will probably have to - true the shoe surface.  Very few planes arrive at the doorstep with a perfectly FLAT shoe.  This flatness also needs to be checked occasionally, especially on the lightweight models.

Use the heaviest grade blades you can get, a GOOD honing stone and oil, and learn how to hone those blades!  You'll be amazed just how dull those "new" blades are!  The difference in performance is eye-popping!

WWWoFF
Wonderful Wacky World of Free Flight
(with a bit of rc thrown in for giggles)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
IP Logged

cdwebb
Ex Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #3 - Jan 5th, 2015 at 10:15pm
Print Post  
I believe it comes just as the Ebay photo shows. I bought one a couple of years ago in the box (box was pretty dilapidated) just to see if it would work better that my Master Airscrew. It DID, and I can tell you, it's worth every penny. The safety razor blades it uses are much sharper than the MA blades. I love mine!

There are several on Ebay right now cheaper (without the box) and some much more expensive.

David

IP Logged

Keithhs

Stick & Tissue

Reply #2 - Jan 5th, 2015 at 9:43pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

Keithhs

Stick & Tissue

Reply #1 - Jan 5th, 2015 at 12:46am
Print Post  
Notice that the one in the link has a different base on it than the one in the picture...I do not know if they originally came with both base's or if one was an option....

( 62 KB | 99 Downloads )
__57.JPG

IP Logged

Robert Hudson
3 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Razor Planes
Jan 3rd, 2015 at 10:53pm
Print Post  
I am feeling the need for a good model builder's plane.  I had a Master Airscrew plane years ago, and it was OK, but I have been wondering if buying an old Wilkro on eBay might be better.  I think the Wilkro uses very thin double edge blades like those used in shavers.  Anyone have a favorite type?  Shaping trailing edges with sandpaper is getting to be a drag, and the trusty old #11 is too wobbly in my hands.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Wil-Kro-Safety-Razor-Planer-w-Box-Instructions-/...

Tissue!

Gesundheit...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint