Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Re: FAC NEWS LETTER (Read 4875 times)
LASTWOODSMAN
5 Star Member

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Re: FAC NEWS LETTER
Reply #6 - Jan 20th, 2018 at 10:18pm
Print Post  
FAC NEWSLETTER  JAN FEB 2018

THIS IS REALLY A GREAT NEWSLETTER !!  Great articles and plans !!
     The big news in the Jan/Feb 2018 Flying Aces Club Newsletter, is that "GOLDEN AGE REPRODUCTIONS" (GAR) -  old time sport and scale models in the  15 - 30"   range , picking up where Peanuts Scale size kits leaves off - GAR was owned by ol' Jim Fiorello since 1990, and he has been trying to find a home for it for a few years - GAR has now been bought by Chuck Imbergamo, and it is listed on the Peck Polymers website here http://www.peck-polymers.com/golden-age-reproductions
      I spoke to ol' Jim several times a few years ago in 2014 - really nice guy - and I ended up buying 14 PRINTWOOD kits, several plans, tissue, two Don Ross books, and I bought his last classic book   "The Best of The Golden Age Of Flying Models"   Golden Press 1975.  This precious "booklet",     8  1/2"    X    11"  , contains, in reduced size, about one hundred and fifty plans of models that were representative, in size and type, of the most popular models of the 30's.  This book was put together by original owneres Joe Fitagibbon and Harry Keshishian, who were reminiscing about the beautiful old models that were gradually being forgotten in the advance of time.  These are really EXTREMELY DETAILED "redrawn" plans of the very finest models and were not chosen haphazardly.  You can still buy these books on Amazon for $14 here https://www.amazon.com/Best-Golden-Age-Flying-Models/dp/B001E3L9AM
     Ol' Jim Fiorello tried to sell ME his business four years ago.  He told me he was getting too old to go chasing after them (Free Flight models) - I think he said he was 90 yrs old - told me he was building wooden boats instead now.  Good luck Jim - hope you are having fun with the wooden boats, and thank you for keeping the "Golden Age" of flying models alive.
       New plane plans are as follows:
HEINKEL HE280
DH-4 MAILPLANE   16.4"  wing
HALBERSTADT D3    16"
BELLANCA YO-50
JAMAICA PLANE
     These are light, small, planes obviously designed for contest flying.  There was obvious large positive incidence built into the wings of both bipes - so of course, I drew some lines and got out the high school protractor  -   the DH4 had 2 degrees on both wings, and the Halberstadt had (I may be off here)  4 degrees on the bottom wing, and  3 degrees on the top wing, positive incidence.
     What really amazed me, though, was the strut attachment methods used that I had never seen before - small thin cardboard tabs glued into slots sawed into the ends of the struts and ribs - VERY NIFTY !   
     Well , that is my report on my first FAC newsletter.
LWM
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #5 - Nov 15th, 2017 at 9:18am
Print Post  
we can check that out later.

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

bigrip74
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Nov 14th, 2017 at 5:59pm
Print Post  
Sky9pilot wrote on Nov 14th, 2017 at 5:36pm:
I agree, the Barney Baxter is just funky enough to make me want to build it!
Tom

Tom, what was the Flying Aces article with Barney Baxter? Maybe a cookup in the future with that as the emphasis.

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #3 - Nov 14th, 2017 at 5:36pm
Print Post  
I agree, the Barney Baxter is just funky enough to make me want to build it!
Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

bigrip74
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Nov 14th, 2017 at 12:14pm
Print Post  
Ive just received my new NOV - DEC 2017  issue no.298 FLYING ACES issue with (5) plans:

1. Barney Baxter Super War Plane 22"ws.
2. CURTISS AIRMAIL BIPLANE 16"ws (Comet).
3. Boeing Monomail 16"ws (Neo Dime).
4. BRISTOL SCOUT D 13"ws (Peanut).
5. Half Gollywock 15"ws.

The first plan (Barney Baxter Super War Plane 22"ws.) looks really interesting.

Bob

IP Logged

bigrip74
Ex Member

Reply #1 - Nov 21st, 2016 at 8:10am
Print Post  
The FLYING ACES issue no. 292 for NOV/DEC 2016 just arrived
with lots of photo, charts, and two plans:
The 1933 "FAMOUS BILLY T" from down under and a really GOOD print of the COMET kit no A37 Messerschmitt Me109 with some modifications in the instructions section.

I now have a good plan to rebuild one of my favorite Comet dime scale aircraft.

Bob

IP Logged

bigrip74
Ex Member

Mar 21st, 2015 at 2:39pm
Print Post  
The FLYING ACES issue no. 282 for Mar/Apr 2015 just arrived and has several peanut plans for mainly WWI a/c. There is an article on page 10 re: filling of wood for use on nose blocks or other areas that need to be smoothed and really looks great.

Bob

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint