Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) A-7 No-Cal (Read 18630 times)
Kittyfritters
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Re: A-7 No-Cal
Reply #31 - Feb 10th, 2016 at 10:07pm
Print Post  
Two new pre-printed skins, Air Force and Navy, are available for the A-7 kit.  The photos are bond paper editing mock ups.  Printed on tissue the skins are not completely opaque.

( 90 KB | 107 Downloads )
photo_1_3_.JPG
( 85 KB | 108 Downloads )
photo_2_3_.JPG

Qua sublata omnia praecepta legis
IP Logged

Kittyfritters
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #30 - Oct 14th, 2015 at 9:22pm
Print Post  
Sky9pilot wrote on Oct 14th, 2015 at 8:14pm:
Great job and the A-7 flies very nicely.  Amazing climb.  I know we'll see more good videos .
Sky9pilot

Thank you, but that climb was a little too amazing.  The last time I flew it I was outdoors.  When I flew it in the gym, today, the turn was a bit wide and it was scraping the walls.  I put a big rudder tab on it to tighten the turn quickly, which worked well, as you can see.  Unfortunately, I forgot to take the loop of 1/8" rubber that it uses outdoors and replace it with a loop of 3/32".  That would have allowed a much longer motor run since the climb to the ceiling would have been much slower.  Outdoors is another issue.

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #29 - Oct 14th, 2015 at 8:14pm
Print Post  
Great job and the A-7 flies very nicely.  Amazing climb.  I know we'll see more good videos .
Sky9pilot

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Kittyfritters
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #28 - Oct 14th, 2015 at 6:05pm
Print Post  
I got a Sony Action Cam for my birthday.  There were a few problems getting it to talk to my iPhone, but most of them were that I still have an iPhone 4.  I took it to Stonehurst for the O.F.F.C. session this morning to see if it would video models in flight.  The camera works fine, but I need a bit more practice with it.

Here is a clip of the A-7 flying.  Obviously, I was more concerned with the operation of the camera than I was with how the model was flying.

https://youtu.be/GDyHI5gnAo0

IP Logged

Kittyfritters
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #27 - Sep 29th, 2015 at 8:04pm
Print Post  
I admit the it took freekin' forever, but the A-7 kit is available.  Right now it's only in the "Edwards AFB", white and red color scheme.  Still working on Air Force and Navy skins.

IP Logged

bigrip74
Ex Member

Reply #26 - May 29th, 2015 at 10:38pm
Print Post  
Howard, that was a must event to be at and I would love to have been there, thanks for the photos. The A7 looks like it flew well.

Bob

IP Logged

Kittyfritters
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #25 - May 29th, 2015 at 1:30pm
Print Post  
Sky9pilot wrote on May 29th, 2015 at 12:57pm:
Thanks for the pictures...good looking crew that you fly with!!! Smiley

Sky9pilot

I'm the second youngest guy in the picture and I'm past seventy.  There is at least one WW2 vet (A B-17 pilot!) in that photo.  It's not called the Old Farts Flying Club for nothing!  Not a bad turnout of contestants for a contest held at 10:00 AM on a Wednesday morning, and these are just the guys that flew in it.  Normally, there is a contest every month, but in June there are two, the Outdoor Spot Landing/Predicted Time contest on the 17th and the indoor Kenway Electric contest on the 24th. (Predicted time, 30 -50 seconds,  drawn from a "hat".)

Howard

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #24 - May 29th, 2015 at 12:57pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the pictures...good looking crew that you fly with!!! Smiley

Sky9pilot

IP Logged

Kittyfritters
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #23 - May 29th, 2015 at 10:51am
Print Post  
I haven't received links to the videos yet, but Barry Dougherty took some stills at the O.F.F.C. No Cal contest and I posted an "in-flight" of the A-7 (Telephoto compression...it's a lot farther from that wall than it appears!) and a group shot of the contestants.

Howard

( 56 KB | 94 Downloads )
Don_Butman_OFFC_134.jpg
( 95 KB | 82 Downloads )
Don_Butman_OFFC_204.jpg

IP Logged

Kittyfritters
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #22 - May 27th, 2015 at 5:33pm
Print Post  
OK, here's what it looks like with landing gear.  The main wheels are just a tad behind the C.G. so if you have it wound enough it snaps right up off the floor.  Unfortunately, with enough torque to snap it up off the floor it heads for the ceiling.  The first time I flew it R.O.G. it ended up scraping the ceiling and bouncing off the lights.  Amazingly, it did no damage to itself and recovered every time even when hitting a light fixture head on.  This lead to some snarky comments about the stability of a supersonic jet.

I wound a little too conservatively during the contest, should have let it get closer to the lights, so I was out of the top finishers, but everyone agreed it is an amazing flier and can't wait for the kit.  Dave Gee took a couple of videos of it flying and I will post links to them as soon as he sends them to me.

Kit availability probably a week from Friday (June 05).

( 114 KB | 97 Downloads )
A-7_on_gear.JPG

IP Logged

Kittyfritters
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #21 - May 22nd, 2015 at 12:41pm
Print Post  
Tom,

Thank you for the plug, and in the spirit of shameless self promotion here is the link to my site.

http://hjlmodels.com

It runs on Yahoo and they have just instituted a "mobile friendly" addition to the store for the tablet and phone users.  "Mobile Friendly"?  Well, maybe not so much.  It needs some adjustment that I will be doing over the weekend, otherwise, it still works on a laptop or desktop.

I should have the production version of the A-7 ready for the O.F.F.C. NoCal contest next Wednesday.  Yes, it will have wheels and R.O.G.!  I should also have a production version O-2E (Super Bird Dog for the Marines) ready for the contest.  Those will be my next two kit releases.  There are also some subtle improvements in my existing kits coming. 

Yes, catajets and cataprops are addictive.  I have a published plan for a B-52 cat glider https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/minute_models/files/B-52%20Glider/  and have also done a DeHavilland Vampire and a B-29.  (The B-52 was my first published plan and has some embarrassing typos in it but the model builds OK.  Sorry, you have to be logged into Yahoo to get to it.)

( 121 KB | 92 Downloads )
000_0573.jpg
( 169 KB | 103 Downloads )
000_0861.jpg
( 77 KB | 83 Downloads )
B-29_1_Small_1_.jpg

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #20 - May 22nd, 2015 at 8:56am
Print Post  
Way to go Scott...I'm working on my Grandsons  who are 8 and 9 yrs old.  They've been flying Catapult Gliders and love that.  These are highly addictive as well, especially the Catajets!

Definitely gonna have to build a couple for the boys for this summer when they come up from No. CA.

Sky9pilot

IP Logged

FFScott

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #19 - May 22nd, 2015 at 6:30am
Print Post  
Hey Tom:

I'm already addicted!  Look at my reply #10 and you'll see that I'm also a "pusher" and trying to addict the local Junior High kids!  It seems to be working but don't tell anyone.  I don't want to be punished for doing the right thing  Cheesy

Scott

IP Logged

terryman
5 Star Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #18 - May 21st, 2015 at 9:40pm
Print Post  
Kittyfritters,

I watched that A-7 video at least 3 time. Just floating on air and going right between people, amazing!

Terry

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #17 - May 21st, 2015 at 9:56am
Print Post  
Kittyfritters...sells his kits and if you look in the early posts you'll find his contact info.  Check out his earlier kits! NoCals are highly addictive and can be flown outside so BEWARE! Grin Wink Cool
Sky9pilot

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint