Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Pin clamps to replace peck polymers clamps (Read 4972 times)
staubkorb
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Re: Pin clamps to replace peck polymers clamps
Reply #10 - Jun 3rd, 2015 at 2:25pm
Print Post  
I use a variety of pin types, including the type you show.  The biggest drawback (actually, there are two) is the length of the shaft which usually contacts the base before the plastic flange gets to what you want to clamp (unless your BB is a sheet of styro or ceiling tile).  The other is that the flange blocks your view while trying to position the pin.

The Peck clamps are moveable on the pin - slide it up to the top of the pin before positioning, then slide the clamp down to the part.  I now use old fuel tubing from my "wet" models (cleaned, of course) for clamps, but I've found a new (for me) favorite pin in the "Czech Pin" (I'll post a photo later).

WWWoFF
Wonderful Wacky World of Free Flight
(with a bit of rc thrown in for giggles)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
IP Logged

Colchicine

Reply #9 - Jun 3rd, 2015 at 11:25am
Print Post  
I'm new and I am certain I am missing something big.

I've only built one model, and I used regular pushpins on corkboard.  It has a wide flared base to clamp the wood into place.  I never once had the need to stab a delicate piece of balsa.  Nor did I have to go through extravagant lengths to make a pin that essentially replaces the function of the ones I used.

Surely I'm not the first to think of using these.  So... what am I missing?

IS_Pushpin_TurboSquid_Render_LargeSig_jpg3cb7c5d4-aec2-47a7-a6a9-e30b2b1f2c65Large.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #8 - Apr 29th, 2015 at 9:41am
Print Post  
Great idea Staubkorb....hadn't thought of those lids as potential uses.  Thanks!

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

staubkorb
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #7 - Apr 29th, 2015 at 4:32am
Print Post  
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but those flexible plastic lids that come with a lot of "canned" dry goods (Pringles, or family size tins of Cappuchino come to mind) and the handy hole-punch makes a nearly never-ending supply of "clamps" or handy epoxy mixing thingies (without the hole punch).

WWWoFF

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #6 - Apr 28th, 2015 at 9:29am
Print Post  
Just found this idea on HPA by Richard Ranney on using discs cut from hot glue stick as pin clamps.  I haven't tried this myself but looks very promising.

Sky9pilot

( 251 KB | 3 Downloads )
DSCF1189.JPG

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #5 - Mar 19th, 2015 at 5:31pm
Print Post  
You can also make some pretty good clamps from some of the hard "Ironwood" 1/4" craft store balsa.  Strip it to 1/4sq strips and then cut it into 1/2 to 3/4 " long blocks with a tapered edge like in the Lavoie method of building stick fuselages video: Click Here

Staubkorb's option works well and here's another option.  Staples and Office Depot/OfficeMax have these eraser pins that have refills that come in long cylinder like eraser refills.  These cut into discs make nice clamps as well.  Check out this link: Click Here  the very first post show them in use.
Sky9pilot
« Last Edit: Mar 19th, 2015 at 10:10pm by Sky9pilot »  

( 114 KB | 3 Downloads )
verticalstab.jpg
( 11 KB | 2 Downloads )
21542-0000-1-2ww-m.jpg
( 5 KB | 1 Download )
s0179866_sc7.jpg

IP Logged

staubkorb
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #4 - Mar 19th, 2015 at 1:15pm
Print Post  
A paper hole punch and an old inner tube (bicycle, car, whatever) and a few minutes will net you a box full of "clamps" very much like the Peck product.

Pete
sent from my dumb-phone...

WWWoFF

IP Logged

bigrip74
Administrator

What did l do this time!

Reply #3 - Mar 19th, 2015 at 12:59pm
Print Post  
stickman,

I had been using a regular plier and I may need to obtain that Z-bend pliers.

bob

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!
IP Logged

stickman
2 Star Member

I work to build and fly!

Reply #2 - Mar 19th, 2015 at 9:32am
Print Post  
Bob,
So far the only place that has had them that I found was Volare' Products but they are out of stock on them. They work well and are cheap. If you haven't heard yet the guy that purchased Peck-Polymers and moved it to CT. is soon to be sending out orders to all the shops. There was an ad in FAC new news letter on page 7 stating this info. Bob you said you didn't have much luck with the Z bend pins was this using them or making them? If it was making them the z-bend pliers make it a snap. You can make 50 of them in five minutes no sweat.

IP Logged

bigrip74
Administrator

What did l do this time!

Reply #1 - Mar 19th, 2015 at 7:51am
Print Post  
stickman, I also have tried the z pin with not much luck, but not using the tool shown which would make more sense than my using pliers. I do like the looks of those Peck pins, are they still available?

Bob

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!
IP Logged

stickman
2 Star Member

I work to build and fly!

Pin clamps to replace peck polymers clamps
Mar 19th, 2015 at 6:17am
Print Post  
So I have been thinking of a way to have easy to make and simple functional pin clamps to replace the peck polymers clamps. They seem to be hard to get at this time until PP get's back up and running. I know there are a lot of great ideas out there and different ways of doing it. I thought of an idea that I have not seen anywhere yet although I'm sure some one has done this before but if not they work well and are easy to make out of standard T-pins. All you need is a pair of Z-bend pliers (had them from R/C building making push rods) and a box of standard T-pins from Wmart. Here are some pics to help. Put the pin in the pliers with the T part horizontal to the flat part of the jaws of the pliers, about 1/16" away from edge of pliers and squeeze. That's it all done. They hold well just be careful as not to push down to hard when using really soft wood. Not a big deal but you will put little dents in your wood if pressed down to hard. Give them a try.

( 80 KB | 2 Downloads )
airplane_pics_001_001.JPG
( 151 KB | 1 Download )
airplane_pics_002_001.JPG
( 163 KB | 0 Downloads )
airplane_pics_003.JPG
( 193 KB | 2 Downloads )
airplane_pics_004.JPG
( 166 KB | 1 Download )
airplane_pics_005.JPG

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1