Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) BHM L-10 test bed (Read 4567 times)
bigrip74
Ex Member

Re: BHM L-10 test bed
Reply #10 - Mar 30th, 2015 at 7:14am
Print Post  
[quote]  I bought a Peck plane last time I was there. Flew great. I forgot to light the DT fuse and now said plane is prob in China now. Brenda [quote]

I put that down to maybe another possible convert to building stick and tissue airplanes after finding said plane. Wink

Bob

IP Logged

Brenda
2 Star Member

Comet for life

Reply #9 - Mar 30th, 2015 at 6:50am
Print Post  
There are two real hobby shops here. One is JD Hobbies in San Pedro and the other is Smith Brother Hobbies in the valley. If you get Model Aviation from AMA check out page 154. There is a article I wrote there about Smith Brothers. A full 1/4 their shop is nothing but stick and tissue. Every time I have gone into their shop they where full of people buying S&T. I bought a Peck plane last time I was there. Flew great. I forgot to light the DT fuse and now said plane is prob in China now. They carry everything there. Really hard to find things like colored dope, checker paper, tan rubber, fuse, clockwork DT, ext ext. They have a website but I don't think they sell online. Last year they had a real nice selection of Comet kits NIB but they all went fast.

IP Logged

bigrip74
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Mar 30th, 2015 at 5:40am
Print Post  
I think it's time for a road trip to Brenda's Hobby shop. And as Tom stated, more photos please.

Bob

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #7 - Mar 29th, 2015 at 10:50pm
Print Post  
From what you've shared about your Hobby Shop, you are truly blessed!  A real hobby shop that has supplies that work for Free Flight  and C/L is rare now a days! 

I have to drive an hour away to find a hobby shop and then they cater to mostly RC Cars and ARF or RTF models.  You are really fortunate.  Then they pay you to build!!! And give you supplies.  WOW!

I look forward to the Ryan build.  Please take many pictures and post them.  You need to adjust the size of the pictures to no more than 400 kb. 

Thanks for sharing what you have already!

Sky9pilot

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Brenda
2 Star Member

Comet for life

Reply #6 - Mar 29th, 2015 at 8:39pm
Print Post  
The newest kit Larry will make is a PT-19 based off the orig Cox RTF. It should have break away wings and such. Easy to train on. And knowing me I'll tinker with it till I can make it do lazy 8's. My last PT-19 was a R/C version made for a .25 size. I put on a Sport JETT .50 and it would clock in straight and level 195mph. It was a little zoomie Cheesy

IP Logged

terryman
5 Star Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #5 - Mar 29th, 2015 at 8:29pm
Print Post  
Brenda,

It's a real thrill to see U-control, something I have not seen much of since the 60's as a kid, and you're flying scale models while developing the art!  A rare treat!.

Thanks,
Terry

IP Logged

bigrip74
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Mar 29th, 2015 at 2:55pm
Print Post  
OK! I would also like to see more photos of the airplanes and that B-17 being constructed. Loved the onboard shots.

Bob

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #3 - Mar 29th, 2015 at 2:10am
Print Post  
Thanks for the info and the setup.  This is really a great flying twin.  I look forward to seeing more.  When you get a chance show is the construction of the B-17.  Can't wait to see this one!!!
Sky9pilot

IP Logged

Brenda
2 Star Member

Comet for life

Reply #2 - Mar 28th, 2015 at 10:13pm
Print Post  
2 Brodak BH-1837 Electric Motor
1 Brodak BH-1845 Battery 7.4V x 850 mA
2 Brodak BH-1862 ESC 12 amp
1 Brodak BH-1868 Timer
1 Y cable
1 Electric Propeller
1 Electric Propeller reversed

Due to how power coming out of ESC one motor would have more power than the other. To correct this I soldered a extra power wire so one LiPo would feed both ESC. This is the video I just sent to Larry the owner of BHM and he likes how easy it is to operate. I found a LiPo charger for $20 and it charges the battery in plane in about 15min. As this test ship worked better than I could have dreamed, I will be converting others along with instructions on how-to. Well the BHM kits anyhow.

While I call the camera I use a GoPro it's not. It is really a Midland XTC camera. It is lighter than a GoPro and a bit more stable. As you can tell the aircraft lifted the weight as if nothing was there. I prefer it over my GoPro HERO as it has a wider FOV. It also handles close up shots better. It also cost $100 less than a HERO.

Afraid I didn't take a single photo during construction as I really had no idea what I would be doing next. It was a total "Yeah that looks about right" deal". Lots of sanding, few bits of cursing. Looking at things till my eyes bleed trying to figure out why one motor would only go 1/2 power while other was full blast.

In conclusion here, people stay away from multi engine aircraft due to power failure in flight. When inboard motor dies HANG ON. But with electric setup like this it's a piece of cake. Shhhhhh don't tell anyone but the next test ship is a B-17e. It will have 2 timers, one for both inboard and one for both outboard. So pilot can choose slow 2 motor or zippy 4 motor.

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #1 - Mar 28th, 2015 at 8:51pm
Print Post  
Wow!  Love the "Pilot's Perspective" shot.  Looks like you have a good crew chief as well.  More info on the twin power setup please. 

Looks to be electric?  If so, what size motors, batteries, ESC's.  Looks like a timer was used also? Has a delay on the start?   Inquiring minds want to know!!!!   Shocked Grin Cheesy Wink

A little on the camera used also, please?!

Do you have any still shots of the planes?

Sky9pilot

IP Logged

Brenda
2 Star Member

Comet for life

BHM L-10 test bed
Mar 28th, 2015 at 6:51pm
Print Post  
Here are 3 videos of the twin. This is the test bed so doesn't look perfect but look how easy it is to get going! Press of a button and away you go!
https://youtu.be/RTNptaCe0is

https://youtu.be/NXs9tduX3jQ

My fav one here, inside the plane
https://youtu.be/lXK5fDC5m5M

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint