Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Suggested modifications to Guillow's Javelin? (Read 4743 times)
bigrip74
Ex Member

Re: Suggested modifications to Guillow's Javelin?
Reply #7 - Jun 19th, 2015 at 5:31pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I could not add to Petes answers and a Big yes to no landing gear. Maybe a 5.5 inch orange prop.
Bob

I just noticed that I messed up on my typing. I meant to say 6.5, but Pete's 7" prop suggestion makes much more sense.

Bob

IP Logged

staubkorb
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #6 - Jun 19th, 2015 at 11:30am
Print Post  
Quote:
Yikes.  Since I'm new I'm barely able to keep up with all of this.

Pete B. wrote Yesterday at 18:48:09:
1. Leave the landing gear off altogether.  Adds nothing but weight and drag (and WILL break on the second flight!).

I know the disadvantages but wouldn't the tissue be subject to repeated damage from landing on gravel or some types of grass?
My LANCER is going on 10 years and , so far, no punctures except when the landing gear was still on.  Once I clipped the gear, I added a second layer of tissue - cross grained for the added puncture resistance and a bit of needed nose weight.  I was able to remove a bit of the clay the plane was carrying.  I also modified the prop assembly to a folding prop.

Some of my LANCER flights can be seen on my YouTube channel with the stock wing and a MUCH better wing from my ESTRELLA NEGRA (Black Star) - click HERE.

( 155 KB | 131 Downloads )
2011_0402Lancer0005.JPG
( 112 KB | 154 Downloads )
2011_0403Lancer0001.JPG

WWWoFF
Wonderful Wacky World of Free Flight
(with a bit of rc thrown in for giggles)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #5 - Jun 19th, 2015 at 10:27am
Print Post  
Supplies can be found from a number of quality suppliers:

Volare/Shorty's Basement: Click Here

Easy Built Models: Click Here

You can find props, rubber, tissue and other supplies at these sites and several others. I've used both and have had very good service and quality products from these two.

As far as nose plugs, check out the various build threads in the Current Builds section and the Cookup sections. Lots of various nose blocks/plugs done with several different models. 
Current Builds: Click Here
Cook Ups: Click Here
Thymekiller's Javelin reply #6 shows his prop/noseblock on the table showing how he made this removable and able to slide into the forward fuselage framework: Click Here
Sky9pilot

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Colchicine

Reply #4 - Jun 19th, 2015 at 9:09am
Print Post  
Yikes.  Since I'm new I'm barely able to keep up with all of this.

staubkorb wrote on Jun 18th, 2015 at 10:48am:
1. Leave the landing gear off altogether.  Adds nothing but weight and drag (and WILL break on the second flight!).

I know the disadvantages but wouldn't the tissue be subject to repeated damage from landing on gravel or some types of grass?

2. Modify the nose plug to make it removable (you won't otherwise be able to load, or effectively stretch-wind the motor).

I hate to bother you for more detail, but without an example I'm at a loss as to how to do this.

3. Throw away the supplied rubber - order some 1/8th Tan Sport or the better Super Sport - the 16 foot package is adequate for now.

My preference is to order from Amazon, but apparently that's not going to cut it.  If I want to order from only one place for these supplies, what's the go-to shop?

4. Swap the prop for a 7 inch Peck or the new Chinese orange one (the orange prop will need to be bushed for a proper fit to the shaft).

I'm assuming I'll be able to track these down once I know where to look, from #3.

5. Not practical now since the wing is already built, but still possible - reduce the slope (curve) of the airfoil from the leading edge to the first spar on the top - this will dramatically increase performance.

I haven't covered anything.  I took your suggested last night when I started sanding.

I also added diagonals to the open bays on the top and bottom of the fuselage so that they looked like an "X" when viewed from the top.  It's not really necessary if you use ESAKI tissue for covering, but the supplied tissue does not provide much torsional strength.

Good to know!  Luckily my LHS will be carrying Esaki for the first time starting next week.

IP Logged

bigrip74
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jun 18th, 2015 at 2:43pm
Print Post  
I could not add to Petes answers and a Big yes to no landing gear. Maybe a 5.5 inch orange prop.

Bob

IP Logged

staubkorb
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #2 - Jun 18th, 2015 at 11:04am
Print Post  
On my LANCER and JAVELIN, I also added diagonals to the open bays on the top and bottom of the fuselage so that they looked like an "X" when viewed from the top.  It's not really necessary if you use ESAKI tissue for covering, but the supplied tissue does not provide much torsional strength.  The added diagonals make the fuselage bomb-proof (nearly Wink).  Use strips about 1/16" wide cut from the leftover fuselage side sheets (they're 1/20th") gluing them in with the "skinny" edge up and only back as far as the first rubber anchor.

You might want to pick up a packet of 3/32nd" rubber also.  Four strands (two loops) about 1.5 times the distance from the nose to the anchor is plenty for good flights.

WWWoFF

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
IP Logged

staubkorb
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #1 - Jun 18th, 2015 at 10:48am
Print Post  

2. Modify the nose plug to make it removable (you won't otherwise be able to load, or effectively stretch-wind the motor).

3. Throw away the supplied rubber - order some 1/8th Tan Sport or the better Super Sport - the 16 foot package is adequate for now.

4. Swap the prop for a 7 inch Peck or the new Chinese orange one (the orange prop will need to be bushed for a proper fit to the shaft).
5. Not practical now since the wing is already built, but still possible - reduce the slope (curve) of the airfoil from the leading edge to the first spar on the top - this will dramatically increase performance.

WWWoFF

IP Logged

Colchicine

Suggested modifications to Guillow's Javelin?
Jun 18th, 2015 at 9:57am
Print Post  
I'm new to model building, and after building a stick+tissue for static display I really want to get into rubber powered flying.  So I got a Guillow's Javelin to learn with.

So my question is, why kind of reasonable modifications can I make to 1) make it durable while I learn how to trim, 2) improve its performance?

I've already added small gussets to areas around the dihedrals in the wing and the top leading edge of the rudder to hopefully increase the durability on crashes.

This is the best picture of the skeleton I could find.  I have already built everything but the fuselage.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_FduD41Gpm8U/TTNHk1UfpBI/AAAAAAAAAQU/gAB9ThQ0uuU/s1600/...

I was thinking I could eliminate the wooden landing struts and replace them with wire (what gauge, I have no idea).  Also the nose of the fuselage is flat and square, I trying to think of ways to round that off.  I am lightly sanding every piece and trimming any excess wood.

Any other ideas?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint