Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Ian's Dreams/Nightmares (Read 12388 times)
pb_guy
5 Star Member

So I'm just a kid at heart.

Re: Ian's Dreams/Nightmares
Reply #9 - Dec 18th, 2015 at 5:26pm
Print Post  
Christmas has really slowed down the kid's building program. This Sunday we are having our Church Christmas party and, as usual, I build a plane to give away. I held off a little later than usual. I decided on a plan last Sunday and printed it off. I decided on a glider, the  Keil Kraft Pioneer at 50%, or 13" wingspan. The main wing spar is 2 pieces of 1/32 x 1/8 glued together. The LE is 3/32 and TE as 1/16 x 1/8. The leading ribs are 1/32 and the trailing ribs are 1/16 square. The rest of the construction was 1/16 square. The nose block is removable for adding weight. Covering was dollar store tissue finished with Future acrylic floor finish. The bare bones pic weighed in at 2.8 grams and the finished model at 4.88 grams. I will have to add a little nose weight when the glue dries.

( 33 KB | 70 Downloads )
WingConstruction1.jpg
( 52 KB | 74 Downloads )
WingConstruction2.jpg
( 61 KB | 64 Downloads )
Fuselage1.jpg
( 70 KB | 62 Downloads )
Fuselage2.jpg
( 80 KB | 61 Downloads )
bare_bones.jpg
( 68 KB | 62 Downloads )
finished.jpg

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #8 - Nov 29th, 2015 at 7:51pm
Print Post  
Ditto what Bob said....and I understand about the longerons!  I try to reinforce where I plan on holding a model because I often grip it too tight!  So a bit of reinforcement at the trailing edge of the wing or infront of the wing will get a bit of attention.  Sometimes planking between the stringers etc. to reinforce that area.  This is usually close to the CG so the additional weight doesn't cause too much trouble.
Sky9pilot

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

bigrip74
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Nov 29th, 2015 at 7:43pm
Print Post  
Ian, WAY TO GO  Smileywith the kids and having a good turn out and session. I would really love to see any photos of the build process. My hats off to you and I wish for more success your way.

Bob

IP Logged

pb_guy
5 Star Member

Reply #6 - Nov 29th, 2015 at 7:16pm
Print Post  
Thanks Sky9Pilot. I flew Yvette indoors in our church auditorium this afternoon. About 350 winds, it turned in 2 40 foot circles before crash-landing/gliding into a padded chair. I think that 1/8" rubber would be a better choice for this one. I wish that I had been able to take video, it was that good of a flight. The kids are excited, and some adults are interested in what the kids are doing.

ian

Re: too light - the fuselage breaks too easy. I should have used heavier wood for the longerons. I had to make a few repairs for only a couple of flights. I did the redesign, but I got busy with other things, and I still have to finish the Rainbow Twins soon.

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #5 - Nov 29th, 2015 at 11:15am
Print Post  
Great stuff here PB...well done with the kids!  The Yvette looks great!  As far as the Tristonian...I've never built a model too light!  So I can't identify with that challenge! Shocked Cheesy Wink
Sky9pilot

IP Logged

pb_guy
5 Star Member

Reply #4 - Nov 28th, 2015 at 7:52pm
Print Post  
  I started a small group of kids, 8 to 10 years old, learning how to build model airplanes. The first meeting we built and flew the Squirrel. The next meeting we covered repairing breakage, stripping off the old tissue and recovering. Our group grew to 5, which is as much as I can handle right now. This is the Yvette by Bill Brown. It is the second model the kid's club will be building. After looking at what people said on HPA, I modified the plan by shortening the nose by 3/8" and lengthening the tail by 2". I also modified the wing support post slightly. I am using a 5 1/2 inch prop and 3/32 rubber. AUW is 9.3 g as you see it. I covered the wing, top only, with pre-shrunk tissue pre-painted with a coat of acrylic floor finish.
I did a test flight just before dark on about 250 winds. Nice stable flight. I put on a piece of masking tape to tighten up the circle.

ian

( 84 KB | 68 Downloads )
Yvette1.jpg
( 49 KB | 72 Downloads )
Yvette2.jpg
( 56 KB | 76 Downloads )
Yvette3.jpg

IP Logged

bigrip74
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jul 29th, 2015 at 2:38pm
Print Post  
Pb, love the triplane it reminds me of the cartoon with the dogs that flew biplanes. I think it was 1965?

Thanks for the MARS photo.

Bob

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #2 - Jul 29th, 2015 at 9:07am
Print Post  
Love the Tristonian...Look forward to the improved version.  A real looker.  To bad you couldn't get a better picture of the firebomber!  that must of been something to see!
Sky9pilot

IP Logged

pb_guy
5 Star Member

Reply #1 - Jul 29th, 2015 at 1:07am
Print Post  
This was the last model I finished - the Nieuport Tristonian, a Bostonian design. Test flights indicate some porpoising. I built it too light, so I intend to do it again. I am redraughting the design to make improvements.
Ian

( 64 KB | 70 Downloads )
Tristonian2.jpg
( 68 KB | 72 Downloads )
Tristonian3.jpg

IP Logged

pb_guy
5 Star Member

Ian's Dreams/Nightmares
Jul 29th, 2015 at 1:03am
Print Post  
There was a forest fire a few miles away from where I live. The Hawaii Mars (Martin Mars) was making drops, so I got some sightings as she was making pickups from Cowichan Lake. Since I was babysitting, I couldn't move to a better location to take pictures.
Ian

( 96 KB | 67 Downloads )
MartinMars.jpg

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint