Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Berkeley Plan Cookup (Read 48119 times)
Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Re: Berkeley Plan Cookup
Reply #41 - Sep 23rd, 2015 at 9:08am
Print Post  
One thing you've gotta say about Berkeley kits/plans, they don't skimp on the wood in the empennage!

Al...the wing looks good, even in three pieces instead of four.  I like the looks of it.  Reminds me of my Gentle Lady RC glider with the polyhedral in the wings.

I've heard from Bill and he's had some challenges lately in family issues.  Hang in there Bill, our thoughts are with you!  No pressure to build anything till the time is right!

Got the fin and rudder built yesterday...family going to the beach today so building will be later. 

Sky9pilot

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

bigrip74
Ex Member

Reply #40 - Sep 23rd, 2015 at 7:06am
Print Post  
Al, your just plugging along fast, i have not even printed my plans yet. Good job on the wing.

bob

IP Logged

simpleflyer
Ex Member

Reply #39 - Sep 22nd, 2015 at 11:18pm
Print Post  
The wing is coming along well.  The rest of the Powerhouse will come along pretty easily.

( 44 KB | 51 Downloads )
SC_09-22-15a.JPG

IP Logged

simpleflyer
Ex Member

Reply #38 - Sep 21st, 2015 at 8:57pm
Print Post  
Wing and spars glued together.  Ready to form the dihedral and covering.

( 46 KB | 59 Downloads )
SC_09-21-15c.JPG

IP Logged

simpleflyer
Ex Member

Reply #37 - Sep 21st, 2015 at 8:55pm
Print Post  
The model is well engineered and designed by Bill Effinger.  Plan is well done by Paul del Gatto.  The wood is fair but some of its cutting is a bit of a challenge.  The die cutting is OK but the notches for the wing ribs were not cleanly cut and some were two and three times as wide as the rib, and scrap wood fill was needed to get tight glue joints at the rib to spar attachment.

( 57 KB | 55 Downloads )
SC_09-21-15b.JPG

IP Logged

simpleflyer
Ex Member

Reply #36 - Sep 21st, 2015 at 8:37pm
Print Post  
Thank you for your kind comments, Tom.

We were able to start on the Profile Powerhouse.  The wing will be made to be removable, so we are changing the wing to three panels from four panels as initially designed.  This will increase the wingspan to 26 inches.

( 34 KB | 59 Downloads )
SC_09-21-15a.JPG

IP Logged

bigrip74
Ex Member

Reply #35 - Sep 21st, 2015 at 7:20am
Print Post  
My challange will be to keep the weight down on the Sinbad Jr. The last one built was as per plans and quite heavy, so this time a different selection of wood and posibly omition of some parts/wood from the construction.

Bob

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #34 - Sep 20th, 2015 at 10:55pm
Print Post  
As is the prerogative of the builder to change his mind, or rather new inspiration, I'm glad to see the models selected! 

Al...this should be a very nice swinger....I'll look forward to seeing how you construct this jewel!

Bob... always liked the Sinbad both Sr. and Jr.  so this will be nice to follow along with as well!  This will be quite a fun cookup to participate in and follow along. 

I plan on starting the horizontal stab and vertical fin and rudder tomorrow.  Saving the wing till last.  Don't know why but like making wings the best!

Thanks fellas for the kind words this has been a challenging and fun build, with the re-engineering of the plan.  this plan calls for a very sturdy model.  I'll be using 1/16" balsa for the construction of the stab instead of 3/32" that is called for on some of the parts.

Sky9pilot
Sky9pilot

IP Logged

simpleflyer
Ex Member

Reply #33 - Sep 20th, 2015 at 9:51pm
Print Post  
Tom, you're making good progress on your CE-180 and it looks good.  Lot of 'stuff' is happening here and my building has slowed a lot.  To speed up our build for this cookup, we're going to change our plane to build.  We have Berkeley Profile Powehouse in our 'stash' so i think we'll build it instead of the Zilch 20.  It will be an easier and faster model to build.  A pic of the Powerehouse is attached and the plan can be found at:
http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=5468

( 28 KB | 46 Downloads )
Profie_Powerhouse_Msm.JPG

IP Logged

bigrip74
Ex Member

Reply #32 - Sep 20th, 2015 at 9:13pm
Print Post  
Tom, you are really working fast on your build!

I finally finalize my build. I will start another Sinbad Jr, I just love the shape of that airplane.

Bob

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #31 - Sep 20th, 2015 at 3:43pm
Print Post  
The cowl won't be that big a job.  There are several options for building it, and the rocker cover bumps are easy with just shaping a stick of balsa the length and width of the bump and several inches long.  Once you have the shape down you can plunge mold as many of them as you need from plastic plates or you can cut off the end of the balsa stick the depth you need...reshape and cut off another till you have as many as you need.  l'm looking forward to the Stinson because that has been on my To-Do List for a few years now.

Made some more progress on the 180...got the rest of the formers on top of the box added and stringers added.  I used 1/16 sq stringers instead of 1/8X1/16 as called for on the plans.  I think this will be still as strong as needed and not nearly as heavy as it would be with the larger stringers.

The nose is filled with balsa and spackle and sealed with diluted Titebond and water approximately 50/50.  Three applications with sanding in between.  The last sanding and sealing was sanded with 400 grit then sealed with the Titebond solution.  Once dry usually overnight, I finished sanded with 400 grit wet or dry, dry! This left a very nice smooth surface for finishing.  I plan to cover using orange tissue the whole plane and then use black tissue to add the markings.

The curved balsa at the bottom of the windscreen was 1/16 sheet wet with water and wrapped around a piece of 1" pvc pipe and rubberbanded till dry.  I then cut the wedge shape.  Hint, cut it on the pipe after making a paper pattern.  It cuts lots easier on the pipe and won't be as likely to split while cutting.
Here's the pictures of the latest work!
Sky9pilot

( 54 KB | 59 Downloads )
Fuselage_formers_complete_1.jpg
( 48 KB | 52 Downloads )
Fuselage_formers_complete_2.jpg
( 44 KB | 50 Downloads )
Fuselage_formers_complete_3.jpg
( 85 KB | 54 Downloads )
Fuselage_formers_complete_4.jpg

IP Logged

thymekiller
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #30 - Sep 18th, 2015 at 3:46pm
Print Post  
Tom, that is fantastic!!  Such a lovely, smooth flowing shape. I think your box fuse is a huge gain on the design. Well done.

After looking at this one and your T-craft, I have to change my mind and go with the Stinson Reliant. Always wanted to build one and I will just have to work harder, but maybe I can get it at least close by years end.  I did an image search and the artwork on most of them is fantastic. I have always loved that shouldered main wing and fairly large tail feathers.
My only real concern is the cowl  and landing struts. That's the thing that has stopped me until now.  Will certainly be asking for help when that time comes.
This model has a nice design on the fuse and looks to be fairly lite. Seems to be a well drawn plan.

I will be getting a late start. I have a couple projects to finish up, or put aside. 

Thanks for posting links to the plans. Thats a pretty handy thing.

",,,The road goes on forever, and the party never ends..."

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #29 - Sep 17th, 2015 at 7:50pm
Print Post  
Got some more work done on the 180 fuselage.  Cowling planked on the bottom and sides.  Still debating on planking the top.  Used the light weight spackle fill for the planked area.  Still have to add the formers behind the cockpit.  I'm leaving the stringers off the bottom till the landing gear is added.

Here's a few pics...
Sky9pilot

( 54 KB | 54 Downloads )
Cowl__planking_and_filling_1.jpg
( 49 KB | 45 Downloads )
Cowl__planking_and_filling_2.jpg
( 67 KB | 52 Downloads )
Cowl__planking_and_filling_4.jpg

IP Logged

bigrip74
Ex Member

Reply #28 - Sep 16th, 2015 at 7:06pm
Print Post  
thymekiller wrote on Sep 16th, 2015 at 12:42pm:
I'm in with the cloud.  Can't help myself.
Love the Stinson but would need a year at my rate to build it.

Thyme, I am still debating my build so we are in the same boat and like Tom states it will be nice to see photos.

bob

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #27 - Sep 16th, 2015 at 6:33pm
Print Post  
Great to have you aboard Thyme....The Super Cloud Wakefield looks like a real floater.  47" span is a big one!
Look forward to your posts!

Got some more work done on the Cessna 180.  Formers added to the top nose area and the side windows in sheet balsa. I debated wrapping the cowling back to the cockpit with 1/32.  But with the compound curvature I'll settle for planking between the stringers.   Pictures later.  I have realized the ease of using 1/2" blocks for the nose area.  Would be much easier to get the nice contour of the nose.  I did add 1/8" sheet to the bottom nose area and sides but not satisfied with the results.  I may add some sheet foam outside the 1/8" sheeting to give a rounder profile and seal it with some sealer (diluted Wilhold and water).  Seems to work really well so far, as it did on the Connie and sands well too.  Several thin coats worked best with sanding between. 

Sky9pilot

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 
Send TopicPrint