Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Swinging with the long winged 'Simple-Swingers' (Read 21088 times)
simpleflyer
Ex Member

Re: Swinging with the long winged 'Simple-Swingers'
Reply #38 - Nov 3rd, 2016 at 10:56pm
Print Post  
Your Cloudbuster is looking good, Dave.  The sturdy structure should allow flying in breezy conditions and help reduce damage during unplanned encounters with the ground.

I should have been using a heftier plane during a flying session yesterday.  Recently, I've been practicing to fly with an 8 foot fly rod and reel given to me.  I'm looking forward to being able to alter the flight circle diameter while flying the model.  The 40 inch wing span swinger was being used and even light breezes were a bit of a challenge during yesterday's session.  Note the abrupt nose down trajectory in the last pic in the series below.

( 41 KB | 58 Downloads )
SC-11-02-16a.JPG
( 33 KB | 60 Downloads )
SC-11-02-16b.JPG
( 31 KB | 57 Downloads )
SC-11-02-16c.JPG
( 36 KB | 57 Downloads )
SC-11-02-16d.JPG
( 28 KB | 52 Downloads )
SC-11-02-16e.JPG

IP Logged

DAVE Q
Global Moderator

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #37 - Oct 31st, 2016 at 2:35pm
Print Post  
Added a wing cradle and dowels for rubber band mount of the wing, so I could add weight. Going to add these covers on the nose, so I can cover the bricks I have glued to the front. Going to shape these to give it that fat front end look. Here I was able to add weight and drag. And I put a plate under the wingtip with different hole locations, so I can adjust my attach point. C/L er's do an adjustable leadout, so I thought I would give it a try. Plus I got to add weight. Maybe you can see the theme here, this is why I build 48" wingspans and up. Need a longer pole. What's the secret for a cheap long pole. And thanks Al, now I have to trim that brush in the back yard, that I have successfully put off for 5 years now, so I can expand my flying. Will send further picture when done.

cloud_2.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

DAVE Q
Global Moderator

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #36 - Oct 31st, 2016 at 2:21pm
Print Post  
Maidened the Cloudbuster and she flies like a dream. Ready for a longer pole and more string. She is still a work in progress. Thought I would take a picture before she's done. This is why I can't build small, because I will never learn. Built the lower fin out of 1/4", instead of 1/16", because it was easier to just cut it out with the shape of the fuselage. And because it added weight. Built the horo stab out of 1/8" slab, so it could add more weight. Then built the vert stab out of 1/8", instead of 1/16", so I could add more weight. Then when I'm done, I strap a brick to the front of it to get it back in balance. The weight you see on the front is also on the other side. I will never learn. I think I read once, for every oz of weight added to the tail, it takes 3 oz's on the nose to counteract it.

( 176 KB | 64 Downloads )
cloud_1.jpg

IP Logged

DAVE Q
Global Moderator

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #35 - Oct 29th, 2016 at 1:46am
Print Post  
Al
It was about 5 years ago I had gone thru some serious health problems. It was suggested to me to take up a hobby to distract myself from what was going on. Model aviation got me thru some really tough times. I had grown up with C/L and free flight till about my late twenties. So I had a stash of stuff up in the attic. The yellow one was the first one I built just for the fun of it. It was a kit that I think was in a blue and white box. Those were Comets I believe. You may be right, I might remember Cessna being on the box. I probably bought it just because it had a radial in the front of it. Radials are cool. Only airplane I ever built that the CG turned out just fine just building the model only as is. Did zero adjustments to it. Took it out in the back yard, gave it a little toss to test it. And it imediately nosed into the ground and broke the prop. Glued the prop back together just so it could all be one piece. I don't know if I ever had goals of this one to really succeed at a free flight. And it just sat upstairs till yesterday. Think I am going to take the prop and rubber out of it, balance as necessary, and just use it as a swinger. Put some windows and decals on it now that it actually flies. It did look pretty cool in the air. Plus because it was a little heavy, it put up with the wind better. Then at the end of my 3rd swing with it, the wind grabbed it and shoved it into the ground. Broke the prop off again. It was techincally too windy yesterday. But just had to try. The silver Arrowhead was built from scratch, from plans from Outerzone. Well, it's the start of my day, got a Cloudbuster to build. I'll send you guys updates.

IP Logged

simpleflyer
Ex Member

Reply #34 - Oct 28th, 2016 at 9:37pm
Print Post  
Thank you, Dave, for your posts and picture.  It is good to hear of your swinging experience.  Glad that you were able to find a pole.  It really is a cheap and easy way to do some flying, isn't it?  I'm glad that your two models worked out OK.  Tell us more about the yellow one.  It looks like a Cessna CE-165 Airmaster, or one of that family.  I saw the Airmaster pictured below at an airshow in Tulsa OK in 1967 and thought it to be a beautiful aircraft.  Been hoping to build a model of it some day.  Is yours from a plan , kit or scratch?  The Thermic 50 wing has been laid aside for awhile, hope to return to it before long.  Been busy with indoors/outdoors chores lately with little time for flying & building.  Your Cloudbuster looks like a fine model for swing control.  Keep us posted on your progress and how it flys.

Al
« Last Edit: Oct 29th, 2016 at 1:58pm by »  

( 40 KB | 63 Downloads )
C-165_sm_TUL-67.JPG

IP Logged

DAVE Q
Global Moderator

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #33 - Oct 28th, 2016 at 2:38pm
Print Post  
Al
I'M HOOKED. Looks like my previous post brought me luck. After work, my Barber had a 7' lenght of bamboo above the garage. Shot upstairs and dug the two shown planes out. Hooked up the yellow one to about 8' of line. Don't remember what this even was? Went out in the back yard, took a swing, and it imediately took to the air. It is heavy, the pole and line could not be much longer, or it would had taken some real effort to keep it going. Hooked up the silver (arrowhead), and it was just a floater. Next to zero effort was needed to fly this one. Could have easily had a longer pole and string. A little to much speed, and the Arrowhead just climbed. Thinking of gluing a lenght of 1/4" dowel in the end of the bamboo. The Cloudbuster is hitting the building board this weekend. Maybe tonight. Thanks for the inspiration. I'M HOOKED.
Dave

( 65 KB | 49 Downloads )
tether.jpg

IP Logged

DAVE Q
Global Moderator

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #32 - Oct 28th, 2016 at 3:15am
Print Post  
Al
Your catching my attention on these swingers. Looks like easy fun. What ever happened to that Thermic 50 you started? I love the look of that wing. Downloaded and printed plans for a Cloudbuster. Thinking about putting it together. Can't find a cheap fishing pole. And refuse to spend good money on a new one. I know there has to be one somewhere just laying around. If you could use it, sure take it kind of deal. I've been looking for about 2 months now. I thought up here in the northeast, on a calm winter morning, it may not be rc, but at least I could get some air under my wings in the back yard. If I could find that pole already, that would get me motivated.

IP Logged

simpleflyer
Ex Member

Reply #31 - Aug 14th, 2016 at 8:12pm
Print Post  
In an attempt to beat the upcoming rain showers we took a trio of the long winged Simple Swingers for a short flight session on a short line.

First the SS-24 with a skinny fuselage.

Next the SS-32.

And lastly the SS-40. 

All flew despite variable light gusts and threatening clouds.  Now, rain showers have set in for a few days.

( 12 KB | 53 Downloads )
SC_08-03-16a1.JPG
( 19 KB | 55 Downloads )
SC_08-03-16a3.JPG
( 18 KB | 58 Downloads )
SC_08-03-16b1.JPG
( 12 KB | 54 Downloads )
SC_08-03-16b2.JPG
( 21 KB | 57 Downloads )
SC_08-03-16c1.JPG
( 20 KB | 52 Downloads )
SC_08-03-16c2.JPG

IP Logged

simpleflyer
Ex Member

Reply #30 - Aug 14th, 2016 at 6:57pm
Print Post  
This past spring we modified a few of the Simple Swinger fuselages so that their parts could be interchangeable with each other.  Mainly this consisted of trimming the pointy parts of the tail booms and matching the nose parts so they would all fit each other.  Also we made a thinner fuselage for the LTV-450 swinger.

( 49 KB | 67 Downloads )
SC_04-03-16_SS24.JPG

IP Logged

simpleflyer
Ex Member

Reply #29 - Dec 23rd, 2015 at 10:27pm
Print Post  
Thank you for your comment, Bob.  This exercise of reconstituting the Condor into the different 'simple-swingers' is becoming a satisfying and challenging experience.  May you have a Happy Christmas and a good new year.
Al

IP Logged

bigrip74
Ex Member

Reply #28 - Dec 23rd, 2015 at 6:36am
Print Post  
Al, this is a great reuse of an old airplane that will fly again Smileyit gives a new light on those parts of wings, tails, and parts in what Pete calls a DUSTBIN.

bOB

IP Logged

simpleflyer
Ex Member

Reply #27 - Dec 22nd, 2015 at 9:45pm
Print Post  
Thank you, Pete and Tom, for your comments.  We were reluctant to cut up the Condor.  Bill gave it to me to try and fly it.  With our limited access to an area where we could fly such a large bird with towline or a catapult, we decided to try and fly it as a swing control model.  We believe that this is possible but we shall have to modify the components and fly them separately.

The SS-22CC can be fixed easily and flown again, but the challenge is time.  During the holidays it is busy and so much other stuff going on.

Cleveland has plans for two versions of the Condor at:
http://www.clevelandairline.com/CM/CATALOG.shtml
When the catalog page  comes up, click on the category - Cleveland Free Flight , Soarers, and Gliders.   The plan for the 72 inch Condor is $10, and Cleveland has a 30 % discount on plan orders (except 1/6 scale plans and 1/4 scale plans) until January 31, 2016. 

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #26 - Dec 21st, 2015 at 10:54am
Print Post  
Bummer about the crash.  But looks repairable!  Love the planform of the wing.  Hope you get her back together and back flying soon. 
Sky9pilot

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

staubkorb
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #25 - Dec 21st, 2015 at 4:47am
Print Post  
It hurts to see a Condor cut up, but your results make it quite bearable Wink.

I had the Cleveland kit (thanks Dad) back in the 50's but never built it - it was rather intimidating for a ten year old - even tho I already had a number of builds under the belt.  It got lost in a move Sad.  Always on my mind to replace it and the version offered by AHC (America's Hobby Center) was finally purchased in '67 when we moved back to NY, built, and flown in Flushing Meadow Park with single channel escapement radio.  Folded the wing TWICE in the middle while hand towing (dihedral joints butt-glued) before I added ply braces.  Finally destroyed it while attempting a high-start launch - the fuselage wasn't up to the grip needed...

My build another as I have the plan, but...

The Cleveland version is really MUCH nicer looking with the curvy tail bits.

WWWoFF
Wonderful Wacky World of Free Flight
(with a bit of rc thrown in for giggles)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
IP Logged

simpleflyer
Ex Member

Reply #24 - Dec 20th, 2015 at 10:59pm
Print Post  
Test flights went well until a sudden gust forced an unplanned abrupt landing and the left wing parted company with the rest of the craft.  Back to the shop for repairs and more figuring on how to attack the SS-72 wing.  Just as well, weather for the next week is scheduled to be scattered thundershowers.

Merry Christmas to all,

Al

( 15 KB | 70 Downloads )
SS-22CC_12-19-15b.JPG
( 37 KB | 61 Downloads )
SS-22CC_12-19-15c.JPG
( 12 KB | 61 Downloads )
SS-22CC_12-19-15d.JPG
( 110 KB | 63 Downloads )
SS-22CC_12-19-15f.JPG

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4