Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Kerak's AC Barn (Read 80962 times)
Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Re: Kerak's AC Barn
Reply #17 - Oct 15th, 2015 at 3:31pm
Print Post  
Beautiful job!  Amazing how these models take us back!!! Greatest Hobby in the world!
Sky9pilot

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #16 - Oct 15th, 2015 at 11:52am
Print Post  
This is a recently created reproduction of my very first build way back in 1955...what got me involved with SnT airplanes(Comet Fokker DVII).  I didn't even know that a "hobby knife" existed, had no thought of using sandpaper, my building board was literally an old pine board, used Ambroid glue to attach everything, and lastly, had no clue when it came to dealing with tissue, et al.  I managed to get the frames completed...and marveled that I could actually see a D7 after all!  When it came to covering, I opted for green crepe paper, which was a major disaster, especially when it began to bleed color all over the place.  So really, the effort was a tactical failure, but a significant strategic success.  I was hooked.  Of course, this model uses a plastic prop and much more realistic wheels than the original kit...but otherwise...it's a blast from the past.  Ambroid, remember that stuff...I used to have as much of it on my pants as on the model...mom was not appreciative of that...but...what price glory.

( 98 KB | 20 Downloads )
Comet_Fokker_DVIIa.jpg
( 94 KB | 17 Downloads )
Comet_Fokker_DVIIb.jpg

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #15 - Oct 14th, 2015 at 2:55pm
Print Post  
It's your hanger and you can post any of your planes.  I'll bet your youngest was a pretty good "fetchermite" in his day, and probably still is if you needed him to.

IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #14 - Oct 14th, 2015 at 12:48pm
Print Post  
Don't know if this is the place to show this...but...an rc Dornier Do217M from my own plan...twin peewee .020's and 3-channel (no throttle).  AC was stickntissue...albeit planked and then tissue covered. Smiley  Finish was water-based latex sealed with flat clear dope.  Bottom was flat black.  Ailerons were scale and as a friend pointed out...too narrow...a real challenge to maintain roll control...especially when one engine cut out.  I saw an exploded view of a factory component assembly and decided to build it in the same manner...nose forward from leading edge (1), center section fuselage and wing (2), and then aft from trailing edge (3)...then join it all together.  Worked!  I've still got my plan set...and have been thinking of building it again strictly as a rubber-powered stickntissue this time.  Incidentally, my youngest son in the photo is now 33 years old.  How time flies when we're having fun.

( 179 KB | 23 Downloads )
Dornier_Do217M_Brandon.jpg

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #13 - Oct 14th, 2015 at 12:32pm
Print Post  
They do have a life of their own!!!
Sky9pilot

IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #12 - Oct 14th, 2015 at 12:00pm
Print Post  
Hey Gents, call me crazy...but I'm convinced that airplanes of all sizes have souls...not only their own, but those who have loved them.  They are eternal. Smiley

IP Logged

bigrip74
Administrator

What did l do this time!

Reply #11 - Oct 14th, 2015 at 11:33am
Print Post  
I have to give mine away to those who like to fly. Mainly kids since I live in an apt. there is no room to keep much, but I like to build more ariplanes.

Bob

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!
IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #10 - Oct 14th, 2015 at 11:08am
Print Post  
Ditto what Bob said, and I agree, what would I do with all of the models I've built over the years.  Given many to friends, kids and neighbors kids!

Sky9pilot

IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #9 - Oct 14th, 2015 at 10:39am
Print Post  
Mostly stored like I suppose everyone else...hanging from the ceiling and walls in my shop or on shelves and the fireplace mantle in my den...but my favorite peanuts go into a very nice glass display case that I inherited from my mother-in-law (bless her soul).  Sadly, like all of us, many, many of my past efforts have either been flown to pieces or have just been jettisoned to make room for more.  Isn't it funny how we find ourselves thinking back and wishing we'd have preserved this or that model...I've done that a lot over the years.  But then, where would I put them all?  You too?

IP Logged

bigrip74
Administrator

What did l do this time!

Reply #8 - Oct 14th, 2015 at 9:30am
Print Post  
Beautiful work Smiley, how do you store your airplanes?

Bob

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!
IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #7 - Oct 13th, 2015 at 5:50pm
Print Post  
Another unusual peanut scale...is about twenty years old now and still in fine shape...it's a hangar queen. Smiley  Handmade wheels...of course...and hand-painted finish...which is too obvious.  I think Guillows put out a Halberstadt kit years ago...but I never got to it.  Had to create my own.

( 57 KB | 21 Downloads )
Peanut_Halberstadt_CIIIa.JPG
( 59 KB | 31 Downloads )
Peanut_Halberstadt_CIIIb.JPG
( 59 KB | 16 Downloads )
Peanut_Halberstadt_CIIIc.JPG
( 110 KB | 14 Downloads )
Peanut_Halberstadt_CIIId.JPG

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #6 - Oct 13th, 2015 at 11:04am
Print Post  
Outstanding...

Not sure if you know you can post up to six pictures on each post.  After you finish your typing for a post, You'll see a dark blue "Attachments"+ to the lower left edge.  If you click on the + sign it opens up to five more picture posting possibilities.
Sky9pilot

IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #5 - Oct 13th, 2015 at 9:20am
Print Post  
More detail...

( 70 KB | 18 Downloads )
Peanut_Sopwith_Pup_side-view.JPG

IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #4 - Oct 13th, 2015 at 9:13am
Print Post  
Some years ago I got to building peanut scale just for display as an alternative to the too-large rc planes that I was doing at the time.  I mean, what to do with those six foot ws jobs...hang 'em from the ceiling...not enough ceiling.  So the peanuts didn't occupy much space, to build or display.  Here's my own plan (how hard is it to take a 3-view and work it into a peanut plan?) for a little Sopwith Pup.  As much detail as you like...or don't...even put a charging handle on the Vickers.

( 63 KB | 17 Downloads )
Peanut_Sopwith_Pup.JPG

IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #3 - Oct 13th, 2015 at 8:44am
Print Post  
I recently saw a thread somewhere about this kit complaining about the use of 3/32 balsa...a bit excessive for a ac of this size....but all things considered, the Comet kits were truly builder's kits.  You always began your build knowing that you'd have to do a bit of engineering in order for it to come together.  Back in my youth, I particularly recall the "impossible" props as well as wheels that weren't quite right.  So Guillows kits were a real...a bit pricey...Comet twenty nine cents versus a buck twenty nine for the Guillows, but well worth it.  As my building skills increased, I found myself going back to Comet more and more.  Hey, I go way back...they weren't dimers any longer...but close enough.  Just some thoughts.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 
Send TopicPrint