Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) F4u Corsair build cookup? (Read 37191 times)
Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Re: F4u Corsair build cookup?
Reply #51 - Jan 18th, 2016 at 6:07pm
Print Post  
Finally figured out the center of the wing's construction.  With the wing pinned down and the wingtips raised 3/4" gave the inner portion of the panel a 3/4" dihedral then the center was joined with the inner dihedral breaks in the L.E. & T.E. at 2.75" apart.  I then constructed the wing center section in the air.  That was the only thing I could make of the directions.  There may be another way but that will have to wait till next time.

Still have to finish the scoops on the bottom of the wing. 

Here's some pictures of the wing center section and the second mockup with the wing saddle finished and wing leveled.

Sky9pilot

( 105 KB | 62 Downloads )
wing_center_const_1.jpg
( 132 KB | 85 Downloads )
wing_center_const_2.jpg
( 113 KB | 91 Downloads )
2ndt_mockup_1.jpg
( 107 KB | 67 Downloads )
2ndt_mockup_3.jpg
( 103 KB | 65 Downloads )
2ndt_mockup_5.jpg

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #50 - Jan 18th, 2016 at 11:05am
Print Post  
Thanks Pete,
I was concerned about the stab. I'll see how this one works.  May just have to rebuild it.  I did reinforce the tip with another 1/32X1/16 strip after the original strip kinked at one pin point when wrapped around the tip.  I'm still figuring out the center of the wing's construction. 

Sky9pilot

IP Logged

staubkorb
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #49 - Jan 18th, 2016 at 3:11am
Print Post  
The stab construction is similar on all of Drela's (scale) models - seemingly VERY delicate!  I had to rebuild the stab of my RIVETS twice (the second was modified a tiny bit)!  The first one got three (IIRC) covering attempts - all potato chips - before I re-built.

Unfortunately, the thread where I had the complete build of my RIVETS, with ALL of the gory details, was on the SFA site in the RACER cook-up.  I did post quite a bit of the build on my (almost) clone thread on HPA (click HERE) so it might have the details.

The second stab is more than two years old and still flat (but needs re-attachment to the fin).  I made it from carefully selected 0.8mm x 1.5mm strip balsa.

Did you laminate the stab tips, Tom?  Wood selection for these very small parts is critical, even with hobby shop wood, and done with a form.  Pins will always leave an indentation that is nearly impossible to sand out without compromising the structure (most noticeable on two-strip lams).  Use wood bits as holders with a cello-tape face (or a good rub with candle wax) to prevent sticking.  Refrain from using the etched "Magic" type cello-tapes!  As the name implies, they are etched and WILL stick.

Found my RIVETS build photos...  the first one shows the original, plan construction, and the second, my modification.  It turned out at the same weight as the first one.  The added diagonals are from 0.8mm square.

( 118 KB | 63 Downloads )
2011_12150004.jpg
( 62 KB | 91 Downloads )
2012_02010001.jpg

WWWoFF
Wonderful Wacky World of Free Flight
(with a bit of rc thrown in for giggles)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #48 - Jan 17th, 2016 at 2:58pm
Print Post  
Quote:
WHOA!, I have not seen a stab as you have built this one. Let me know how it does.  bob

I'm going to be interested in how it holds up myself.  Definitely preshrink the tissue .  It's built per plan except that I did reinforce the tips, because the original balsa didn't want to bend around the pins.

So we'll see how things go.

Sky9pilot

IP Logged

bigrip74
Ex Member

Reply #47 - Jan 17th, 2016 at 7:59am
Print Post  
WHOA!, I have not seen a stab as you have built this one. Let me know how it does.

bob

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #46 - Jan 16th, 2016 at 10:15pm
Print Post  
Gonna have to find out about that RJ...my first Corsair that I got to keep. So we'll see how it goes.
Got some progress on the Corsair.  Horizontal stab, vertical stab and the two outer panels of the wing.  Still have to figure out the center wing panel construction.  I've read and re-read the construction article with the plan and still am having a bit of difficulty getting my head around it! 

I'll let it sit and cogitate on it for a bit!

Sky9pilot

( 166 KB | 82 Downloads )
1st_mockup_1_001.jpg
( 193 KB | 72 Downloads )
1st_mockup_2_001.jpg
( 151 KB | 94 Downloads )
1st_mockup_3.jpg

IP Logged

RJ
3 Star Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #45 - Jan 16th, 2016 at 5:45pm
Print Post  
I have been told that the F4u Corsair is hard to trim. Can anyone confirm this, and if so, advise on how to mitigate the problem?  Thanks.

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #44 - Jan 15th, 2016 at 9:29am
Print Post  
Yep, I would have liked to get it in the air.  I'm going to have to build another one.  It's a really intriguing design.  Maybe later on I'll get a new one built.  I was thinking of a fantasy military scheme!
Seems the boys liked Superman.  Almost wish I had built two.  They would have taken both of them.
Sky9pilot

IP Logged

staubkorb
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #43 - Jan 15th, 2016 at 4:09am
Print Post  
Nice start on the Corsair, Tom!  It would have been nice to see some shots of the Rutango in the air Sad.

WWWoFF
Wonderful Wacky World of Free Flight
(with a bit of rc thrown in for giggles)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #42 - Jan 14th, 2016 at 7:37pm
Print Post  
Thanks Bob...that's why the grandsons got to take a plane home with them for Christmas.  So I have room now for two more planes.  They took the Rutango and the Do-335B8.  But this Corsair is so small that there should not be a problem storing this one.  With all the 1/32" balsa, the trick is going to be assembling it without breaking it into pieces. Cheesy Grin Wink

Sky9pilot

IP Logged

bigrip74
Ex Member

Reply #41 - Jan 14th, 2016 at 7:22pm
Print Post  
Tom, you've got to slow down or swmbo will not let you store any more airplanes in the garage, house, storage shed, attic, barn, car trunk. Get the picture Grin, you are FOCUSED and DRIVEN when it comes to building. after work I get to set down at the work area take a few breaths and start a slow session of building and enjoy my videos while working.

I only wish that I had the talent you possess and speed in making sheet balsa magically turn into a thing of beauty.

bOB Wink

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #40 - Jan 14th, 2016 at 4:37pm
Print Post  
Well, I'd forgot how small Peanut airplanes are!!!  While I await the payday to buy new ink cartridge for the printer I dug out the F4U Corsair plan I'd already printed a while back.  The Drela F4U Corsair.  I decided to use reed for the fuselage formers because I had plenty of that and just a little of the 1/32" balsa left.  Time to restock the Balsa stash!!!

Here's the latest pictures on the fuselage and start of the wing construction.  Got the fuselage done using 1/16" sq keels dorsal and ventral and horizontal.  Then used 1/32X1/16" stringers to fill in between the keels.  Added the 1/8" cowling discs and begain sanding them to shape.  I had some discs already cut that were very close so I decided to use them and just fill the small grooves left after sanding.

The cowl rings came out nicely and I'll be using a prop button in a crankcase propblock. 

Heres the pics.
Sky9pilot

( 183 KB | 90 Downloads )
reed_formers_fuselage_const_1.jpg
( 168 KB | 62 Downloads )
reed_formers_fuselage_const_2.jpg
( 123 KB | 66 Downloads )
reed_formers_fuselage_const_3.jpg
( 178 KB | 67 Downloads )
cowl_ring_filled_1.jpg
( 141 KB | 73 Downloads )
reed_formers_fuselage_const_4.jpg

IP Logged

bigrip74
Ex Member

Reply #39 - Jan 11th, 2016 at 8:00pm
Print Post  
Some eye candy for those who love the F4U Corsair.

( 64 KB | 96 Downloads )
2c0dc92dafa664dfcfb8299c104f0721.jpg
( 109 KB | 67 Downloads )
corsair.jpg
( 70 KB | 72 Downloads )
CorsP1.jpg

IP Logged

bigrip74
Ex Member

Reply #38 - Jan 11th, 2016 at 7:18pm
Print Post  
OK! I am up and running after down loading Adobe Acrobat Reader for the third time. I now can print my Comet F4U plans.

Bob

IP Logged

bigrip74
Ex Member

Reply #37 - Jan 11th, 2016 at 6:42am
Print Post  
SS, thanks for the link it was a joy to visit the site and drool over the items offered.

Bob

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Send TopicPrint