Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Wire bender? (Read 3731 times)
NcGunny
5 Star Member

GO PANTHERS!

Re: Wire bender?
Reply #6 - Mar 27th, 2016 at 8:02am
Print Post  
I use a small snap ring plier for some loops and also I found some flat nose pliers that dont have a tapered opening. I modified these by cutting several channels inside them to hold wire straight out the front or on the sides for 90° bends. The purpose bought ones are close to 60.00 these cost me around 10.00 to make.

IP Logged

staubkorb
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #5 - Mar 27th, 2016 at 5:10am
Print Post  
I have both of the pliers shown - using the round-nose variant the most for prop-shaft bending.  Try googling "jewelers pliers" or "tools for jewelers".  Should bring up a slew of tools that can be adapted for our use.

WWWoFF
Wonderful Wacky World of Free Flight
(with a bit of rc thrown in for giggles)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
IP Logged

RJ
3 Star Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #4 - Mar 26th, 2016 at 3:45pm
Print Post  
I did a little poking around on the 'net and found that my tool is called a "wire loop pliers", or "wire looping pliers". If you do a google search using either phrase and look at images, you will see several variations. Go here to see what Micro-Mark has to offer: http://www.micromark.com/small-wire-loop-pliers,6617.html. I will continue looking for the one that I have.

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #3 - Mar 26th, 2016 at 1:52pm
Print Post  
RJ...good looking pliers, haven't seen any like that.  I'll have to do some looking.
Sky9pilot

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

RJ
3 Star Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #2 - Mar 26th, 2016 at 11:59am
Print Post  
I use a couple of different sized long nose pliers for angular bends, and the special plier shown in the attached photo for making prop hooks with round bends.  This plier works for me. I don't remember the name; purchased it a few years ago from A2Z; expensive; made in Germany.

I'm always interested in jigs that others have made to ease the usually difficult task (for me anyway) of bending wire.

( 59 KB | 67 Downloads )
Pliers.jpg

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #1 - Mar 26th, 2016 at 11:47am
Print Post  
I recommend round nose pliers.  You can find various sizes .  I recommend a small size for the finer wires and heavier pliers for the larger models using 1/16"/0.047 wire and larger for landing gear etc.

A jig for bending wire is also helpful.  The shafts can be moved to the end of the jig for bending around. As the jig is held in a vise. There are lots of jigs for bending wire, just do a Google search.
Sky9pilot

( 17 KB | 48 Downloads )
spin_prod_1184384812.jpg
( 36 KB | 57 Downloads )
33409-0000-3ww-l.jpg

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

terryman
5 Star Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Wire bender?
Mar 26th, 2016 at 10:05am
Print Post  
What are folks using to bend wire for prop shafts/hooks, figure 8's, landing gear, etc. especially tight bends?  I've used long nose pliers or bending around rods, bolts, etc. with barely acceptable results.  Prop hooks in particular seem important to get right to prevent motor vibration.  I suppose this might also be question about technique, Wires and Rigging Topic?

Terry

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint