Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) North American B-25 Mitchell...for a friend (Read 37894 times)
Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Re: North American B-25 Mitchell...for a friend
Reply #12 - Jun 7th, 2016 at 10:51pm
Print Post  
There's a great Peanut F7F Tigercat plan on HPA that one of the fellas is building right now....

I've often looked at the C-119, my Father-in-Law flew them in the Korean Conflict from Japan in support of the troops.  His had a blonde noseart but don't remember the name at the moment.  He flew C-47's and C-46's in the Big One!

I've seen RC plans for the C-119 but don't remember if it was on RCGroups or Outerzone RC section or IC section.  I get back to you.
Sky9pilot

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #11 - Jun 7th, 2016 at 8:47pm
Print Post  
David....the great thing about Terry's P-38 are those long booms...you can get a decent amount of rubber in them.  If you're working with nacelles, things get a bit limited...of course you can use unsightly "sticks" to extend the motors.

On the other hand, there are numerous videos on YouTube of outstanding multi's with impressive flight performances.  Of course we have Tom with his outstanding Connie...blows my mind it's so beautiful!  I built the A-26 twice...once as a kid (didn't finish it) and later with my boys.  Had literally the most impressive glide I've ever seen...just kept going and going!  Long wing!

I think you should go for it!  Cheesy  How about a Fairchild C-119 Flying Boxcar?  Wink  If you find a plan, let me know.  I've been looking for that one myself.  If we talk LOUD enough, Tom will design one for us! Grin Grin Grin

Tom: balsa in life vests?!  No wonder I stayed away from the Navy.  Wink  Truth is...I have a total aversion to swimming in water with fish bigger than I am. Huh

Neal

IP Logged

cdwebb
4 Star Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #10 - Jun 7th, 2016 at 8:19pm
Print Post  
Thanks, Neal! I just spent the last hour fanning through stacks of plans looking for WWII twins. I was barely able to fight the urge when Terry began the P-38. I feel like there's some kind of conspiracy here. Grin

I've always dreamed of building one, but I'm not anything like sure that I could.  The B-25, P-38 or F7F are the three that really catch my eye, but the A-26 is a looker too.

Half way through a FA Moth build right now, but I'm not particularly excited about it. I'm gonna spend a little time studying some of the available plans. As I said, I'd love to try one! Cool

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #9 - Jun 7th, 2016 at 7:51pm
Print Post  
Interesting link re: Guillows during WWII diverting balsa to war effort Click Here
Sky9pilot

IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #8 - Jun 7th, 2016 at 5:48pm
Print Post  
Well Ian, speaking from personal experience, when you leave home for war as a young man (virtually a boy) and then return home (providing you're that fortunate), things are never quite the same, one way or the other.  Everyone reacts differently to those experiences...hard to say what effects one guy, and not another...for some it's a seemingly minor event...others it's very traumatic...but you're never the same as the kid that left home.  And I do mean it effects everyone.  Can take a long time to sort things out.  My friend Howard seemed very laid-back to me...but...he'd have been the first to admit there are no real macho men...in the end.  I myself did 4 years in the Air Force and then after a break for college...did 6 years in the Army, part of which was with SF, and the last year or so as an FO for an 8"self-propelled artillery battalion (M110's).  My wife has known me since we were 12 years old...and she testifies that I did not come home as the same kid...either time.  I'm no macho man.  Wink

Appreciate your input, Ian.  It's a pleasure to "hear" from you...anytime, every time.

Incidentally, I'm now vacillating between the Ott plan and Midkiff plan...it's the gentle side of me trying to assert herself.  Grin

Neal
« Last Edit: Jun 7th, 2016 at 7:19pm by Kerak »  

IP Logged

pb_guy
5 Star Member

So I'm just a kid at heart.

Reply #7 - Jun 7th, 2016 at 5:14pm
Print Post  
Yes, I remember spending a night in a pub with my dad and a friend of his who flew bombers over germany. The war really did a number on him and he drank to forget, or to dull the memories. Now they are all gone.
ian

IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #6 - Jun 7th, 2016 at 2:46pm
Print Post  
Thanks Ian...gives me an opportunity to relate some of the fun stories Howard used to tell me...I think he must have been a real character in his day.  These guys are all disappearing rapidly.  Cry  As long as someone remembers them...they're still here.
Neal

IP Logged

pb_guy
5 Star Member

So I'm just a kid at heart.

Reply #5 - Jun 7th, 2016 at 1:56pm
Print Post  
Kerak, sorry to hear of the loss of Howard. A build in his memory is a great tribute. Best wishes.
ian

IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #4 - Jun 7th, 2016 at 1:00pm
Print Post  
As I said...wasn't really aware of Joe Ott kits until I joined this site and read of their existence.  Noted their use of cardboard and basswood which, while helpful to the war effort through use of non-strategic materials (was balsa a strategic material?), certainly wasn't conducive to good flight attributes.  Grin  No wonder people complained of not getting them to fly!  On the other hand, if those particular parts were changed to balsa...could be a different story.

I'm intrigued by the Joe Ott kits from a historical point of view...not necessarily to be built as conceived by Joe.  Wink  One of the construction approaches that bothers me is the use of an interior box...which results in stringers on the inside and additional glue.  Might help for alignment, but certainly adds weight.  I'd rather have those stringers on the outside.  Besides...whoever builds that box...better have it spot-on straight to accurately accept those Joe Ott Formers.  Hey, I'm not complaining about Joe's kits...he was a pioneer in the hobby...and a real credit...1900-1986.  Not his fault the war came along and deprived his kits of proper materials.  Economic downturn after the war ended...by 1947 his kits were off the market.  Incidentally, his kits were marketed under several names...Ace Whitman, included.

Anyway...the Joe Ott B-25 has a span of 22."  I thought I'd take his plan and work within the lines with my own mods...give and take.  I got a kick out of what someone said on HPA forum..."No reason a Joe Ott kit can't fly...even a brick can fly."  Grin  What's that formula...thrust plus altitude equals distance...altitude being most critical.  Grin

Neal

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #3 - Jun 7th, 2016 at 12:27pm
Print Post  
Neal,
I haven't built from plans or kits of Joe Ott, but understand that some fellas have made some very good flying models using balsa for the cardboard parts (WWII kits in place of balsa shortage) Also lightening the formers inside shape. 

Bob was building a B-17 I believe for a display model for a friend from Joe Ott plans. 

You might be surprised by the results of the Joe Ott plans. 

I agree re: the plastic parts in the various balsa kits.  Most of the time I'd probably opt to build a balsa replacement part for nose/cowling plastic pieces.

Mike's plan could be reduced is the 36" span is too big for you.  What is the Ott plan's wingspan?

I look forward to your solutions!
Sky9pilot

IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #2 - Jun 7th, 2016 at 11:58am
Print Post  
Will check out HPA...thanks Tom.  I've got a Guillows kit...but for no good reason...I'm not attracted to it...too much plastic, etc.  It's a nice kit...but somehow my personal feelings are that simple stick n' tissue, even for display, has a beauty all it's own.  Lots of plastic for major components turns it into something else altogether.

Mike Midkiff plan is nice...but too large.  I'm really intrigued by the Joe Ott model...must be crazy.  Smiley  It's simple...and lends itself to mods easily.  Besides...Joe Ott's kits...I've never built one, didn't really know anything about the man and his designs...historically, until I joined this site.  I think maybe I'll explore his plan a little further.  Couldn't get much motor in those nacelles...but that doesn't really matter to me.

Neal

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #1 - Jun 7th, 2016 at 11:31am
Print Post  
Neal,
I look forward to this build.  Don't know if you've been following the B-25 build over on HPA some good info there. 

Thanks for the info in Capt. Etten.  The stories make the modeling that much better!
Sky9pilot
(Admin.Editor) Wink Cool

IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

North American B-25 Mitchell...for a friend
Jun 7th, 2016 at 11:26am
Print Post  
Over the years I've been fortunate to have so many older friends...aviators and mechanics who were all part of a fantastic history.  One man, a sun-wrinkled chain-smoker, the late Howard Asa Van Etten of Marlboro, New York, was a B-25 pilot during WW2.  In his own words to me, "I thought I was one of the best Mitchell pilots in the world, a real 22 year old hot shot."  He said that with a smile and a laugh.  Howard was a Colgate graduate of '42 who entered the war as a Flying Cadet and came home as a Captain with 3 Air Medals in 1945.  He flew with the 340th Bomb Group from North Africa, Corsica, and Italy.  More recently, he was the husband of my wife's god-mother.  I loved every minute of visiting with Howard over the years.  Sadly, he suffered a fall and passed on the same day...my loss, heaven's gain.

So I'd like to honor my friend with a B-25 Mitchell build...and a few Howard-stories along the way.  Capt. Van Etten never thought of himself as a celebrity...but I did.

Neal

( 205 KB | 20 Downloads )
Howard_Asa_Van_Etten.jpg

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 
Send TopicPrint