Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Quarter-A Ukies (Read 7400 times)
simpleflyer
Ex Member

Re: Quarter-A Ukies
Reply #16 - Sep 5th, 2016 at 8:25pm
Print Post  
Thanks, for the wishes for a safe trip.  The trip was indeed a safe one and the visits with family were good.  Norma and my sisters live on high ground so are not affected by the flooding.  Some of our friends closer to the La coast have had a few problems but that is a risk of living in that area.  Nice to be back home and back to the usual routine.
« Last Edit: Sep 5th, 2016 at 9:32pm by »  

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #15 - Aug 31st, 2016 at 10:12pm
Print Post  
Have a safe trip and nice visit.  Hope your sister wasn't hit by the floods down there.

This one looks good in the air.  Amazed at how quickly you got this one in the air.
Sky9pilot

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

simpleflyer
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Aug 31st, 2016 at 7:32pm
Print Post  
Thanks, Tom, for the comment.  Yes, the simplification of construction and reduction of parts results in a very quick build.  Here are a few quick shots of some late afternoon flights today.  Norma and I are leaving tomorrow for central Louisiana to visit our sisters.  Be back after Labor day.  Have a nice holiday, folks.

Al & Norma

( 16 KB | 58 Downloads )
SC_08-31-16a.JPG
( 14 KB | 64 Downloads )
SC_08-31-16b.JPG
( 20 KB | 55 Downloads )
SC_08-31-16c.JPG

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #13 - Aug 30th, 2016 at 10:09pm
Print Post  
Wow Al...you're really cranking this one out fast.  I look forward to seeing it in the air!  I know you won't disappoint! Smiley

IP Logged

simpleflyer
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Aug 30th, 2016 at 9:51pm
Print Post  
The quarter-A version of the Lil Bomb came together pretty quickly.  It is built to the same dimensions as the half-A version with a few changes to the wing and tail shapes and the engine mounting.  A quick test flight went  much better than our first quarter-A speed model of the mid 1950's.

( 45 KB | 62 Downloads )
SC_08-30-16a.JPG
( 54 KB | 62 Downloads )
SC_08-30-16b.JPG

IP Logged

simpleflyer
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Aug 28th, 2016 at 10:08pm
Print Post  
Based on our good outcome with the Jetfire, we're gonna revisit the idea of a quarter-A speedster as a 'swinger'.  First we cleaned up the Ll Bomb plan and use it as a pattern for the speedster and do some more simplifying and lightening and see what happens.

( 38 KB | 68 Downloads )
Day_lil_Bomb_M2snt.JPG

IP Logged

simpleflyer
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Aug 28th, 2016 at 9:57pm
Print Post  
As we mentioned in an earlier post we built a couple of quarter-A ukies.  One was a simplified speed plane similar to the Lil Bomb designed by Mr. Day and illustrated below.  We belonged to a club called the Flying Pelicans which was lucky to hold their meetings at a youth center which had a gym and once in a while they would let us fly the quarter-As in the gym.  On our first flight with the tiny speed model it proceeded to roll itself up in the control lines upon takeoff.  Needless to say, that was the end of our quarter-A speed flying.

( 91 KB | 68 Downloads )
Day_Lil_bomb_Rsnt.JPG

IP Logged

simpleflyer
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Aug 26th, 2016 at 8:46pm
Print Post  
Glad you liked it Tom.  We used a Cox 020 TD for a nose weight on the Profile Powerhouse that we built for the Berkeley cook-up last year and it also worked well.

( 42 KB | 61 Downloads )
SC_10-01-15a_002.JPG
( 26 KB | 69 Downloads )
SC_10-02-15m1.JPG
( 17 KB | 79 Downloads )
SC_10-02-15m2.JPG

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #8 - Aug 26th, 2016 at 10:50am
Print Post  
Getting creative Al...I like it!!!! Smiley

IP Logged

simpleflyer
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Aug 25th, 2016 at 10:10pm
Print Post  
This combination flys well.  A tad fast, but this will make it a good all-weather flyer.

Al

( 13 KB | 62 Downloads )
SC_08-24-16b.JPG
( 11 KB | 60 Downloads )
SC_08-25-16c.JPG
( 22 KB | 57 Downloads )
SC_08-25-16d.JPG
( 18 KB | 58 Downloads )
SC_08-25-16e.JPG

IP Logged

simpleflyer
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Aug 25th, 2016 at 9:57pm
Print Post  
Recently, we've been experimenting with using the Quarter-A engines as nose weights for our swing control models.  By reducing the weight of the engines this works pretty well.

We decided to revisit the Jetfire and make it into a swinger.  The tail was replaced and made lighter.  A PeeWee was reduced to a glohead, cylinder, and crankcase.  The wheel and metal parts at the nose were removed.  A peg installed in the nose is a mount for the engine.  Doublers at the nose hold the peg in place.

( 46 KB | 75 Downloads )
SC_08-22-16a2.JPG
( 45 KB | 62 Downloads )
SC_08-22-16a3.JPG
( 45 KB | 67 Downloads )
SC_08-25-16a4.JPG

IP Logged

simpleflyer
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Aug 25th, 2016 at 9:35pm
Print Post  
A while back we thought about converting a Guillows Jetfire glider into a backyard round-the-pole model powered with a Cox 020.  We even cleaned up a few of the engines and got a few of them to run, but never got to fly the RTP before getting involved with swing control.  We tried the RTP as a swinger but it didn't fly so well.

A little background story to the 'quarter-A ukies' is that we did fly a Testors 29 cent glider powered by a Cox 020 in about 1957 more or less.  Attached is a scan of an article from Flying Models magazine describing the conversion process.

Al
« Last Edit: Mar 16th, 2017 at 5:25pm by »  

( 46 KB | 74 Downloads )
SC_08-24-16a1.JPG
( 163 KB | 94 Downloads )
29c_ukie_M.JPG

IP Logged

simpleflyer
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Aug 25th, 2016 at 9:19pm
Print Post  
Thank you, Tom, for your comment.  Too bad that your early experience with Ukies left you with a scar.  We were lucky, only having a bruised or sore flipping finger during our active Ukie years.  After the loss of your early stuff did you ever consider flying Ukies again.

Al

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #3 - Aug 23rd, 2016 at 12:03am
Print Post  
Al,
That's a great collection. I only had one .049 that had the spring starter on it. I still have the scar on the back of my finger I got while flip starting one.  Funny thing was it was the hand holding the model, and not the one I was flipping the motor with. Roll Eyes Grin Cheesy Wink.  If I remember correctly it was a ukie flying wing with no landing gear. While away at college Mom cleaned out the garage and I have no idea what happen to all that stuff.  I'm sure she gave it to some interested young person...she never just tossed it!  Again great looking at those motors!!! Smiley

IP Logged

simpleflyer
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Aug 22nd, 2016 at 9:04pm
Print Post  
Thank you, Tom for your comment and I'm glad that the mention of the the little 'quarter-As' provided you a few good memories.

Over the years our collection of Cox Pee-Wees has grown.  It incluldes two of the three we bought in the late 50's.  In the 80's/90's a Pee-Wee was bought from Peck Polymers, which had been removed from a Cox RTF helicopter.  It had an odd plastic carb/tank set-up and an affordable price.  A few Pee-Wees were received from Caley Hand in trade for a couple of model airplane kits.  A few were given to me by my long time friend and Ukie mentor, Donald (Smitty) Smith.  He had a fire in his garage/model shop and had much of his model stuff damaged or lost.  During the salvage of his stuff, he collected the damaged engines and put them into a bucket of kerosene to prevent further corrosion.  When he learned that I was collecting half-A engines, he gave me a bunch of them.  In the bunch were a few Pee-Wees and  Cox 020TD.  My last tiny engine purchase was a Cox 010TD which was on sale at a local hobby shop.  The 010TD and 020TD are the prized items in the collection below.

Also, Tom, you are correct.   The affordable cost of the early Pee-Wees was a nice feature.  The cost of the last Cox 010TD that we acquired probably equaled the total cost of the remainder of our collection.

Al

( 59 KB | 78 Downloads )
qtrA_group_08-15-16.JPG
( 53 KB | 80 Downloads )
020n010_08-15-16.jpg

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint