Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Sig Kadet MK II (Read 7416 times)
DAVE Q
Global Moderator

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Re: Sig Kadet MK II
Reply #24 - Dec 27th, 2019 at 7:23am
Print Post  
Repairs on the Kadet have begun.

( 334 KB | 43 Downloads )
Kadet_progress_12-27-19.jpg

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #23 - Dec 14th, 2019 at 6:56pm
Print Post  
My ole RC buddies said, "There are those who've crashed and those who will!"  I was in the previous group, most of the time! Embarrassed Grin Wink
Was fun but expensive.  Thus Free Flight Stick and Tissue!!! Smiley

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

DAVE Q
Global Moderator

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #22 - Dec 14th, 2019 at 5:14pm
Print Post  
Actually landed the airplane, and she started to roll out. But, I guess because of how fast I was going, the nose gear flexed back, the nose came down somewhat, the prop dug in, and just like that, WHAM. She instantly flipped on her back and tore the wing right off. Came to an instant stop. I was disheartened and discouraged. I really like this plane for some reason, and have way to many feelings attached to her. I know better than to do this. Upgrades, improvements, and repairs to follow on this plane next, after the Goldberg Skylane.

( 166 KB | 42 Downloads )
Kadet__3.jpg
( 153 KB | 44 Downloads )
Kadet__1.jpg
( 162 KB | 45 Downloads )
Kadet__2.jpg
( 169 KB | 44 Downloads )
Kadet__4.jpg

IP Logged

DAVE Q
Global Moderator

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #21 - Dec 14th, 2019 at 4:55pm
Print Post  
This is the Kadet MK II at the beginning of 2019. I finished all the stiping, and decided not to do the design on top of the wing, like the Kadet had. She is totally finished here. Finally one day in spring of 2019, I was able to get away from life, and try to go flying. I was feeling eager, and confident. Oh Dave, you can handle her after after not flying all winter. I don't know exactly what I was doing wrong, I kept coming in way to hot for my landing attempts. Starting to panic a bit, about running out of battery, and forced to take whatever kind of landing I could get. I was lined up on the field really good, coming in again way to hot, and decided to go for it. Then, CRASH.

( 252 KB | 43 Downloads )
Kadet_beginning_of_2019.jpg

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #20 - Apr 9th, 2017 at 3:59pm
Print Post  
Great to hear she performed well for you!!!  Love to see some video if you have the capability!!!! I remember the Kadet fondly.  Great plane and a good trainer for anyone who wants to learn to fly!  But if you've never flown it's always good to have an experienced flyer take her up for the maiden flight and get her trimmed. 

Glad you're ready to go back out and let her fly again!!!
Tom

IP Logged

DAVE Q
Global Moderator

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #19 - Apr 9th, 2017 at 1:18pm
Print Post  
2017 is the year for the Kadet MK II. Added rt and down thrust, and put an 11" prop on her. Actually looked closely at the surfaces, and centered all of them exactely. Today I did several ground runs, and she tracked perfect. Aimed her into the wind, gradually fed in throttle, kept my head on top of things. And she took off just perfect. A couple clicks on the trims, and she was flying herself. Flew her 2 times. Lessons learned, rt and down thrust a must, to large a prop can add allot of torque, and that's close enough for control surfaces, NO, that's not close enough, it's not exact. I went from afraid of her, to can't wait to get back out there again. I think I have a new favorite airplane. And the comments were fun too, boy I haven't seen a MK II in years. And, I used to have one of them back in the 70's.

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #18 - Dec 25th, 2016 at 3:48pm
Print Post  
Maybe 2017 will be the year of the Kadet!  A great airplane as I remember.  Once you get some altitude you can trim her for hands off straight and level flight.  I know she'll be a good performer for you.

IP Logged

DAVE Q
Global Moderator

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #17 - Dec 25th, 2016 at 3:27pm
Print Post  
Tom/Eric
Thanks for your comments. Construction is straight, and all surfaces are in neutral when released. I guess in a way it was a blessing that it was pretty much my last flight for the season. I have pretty much shaken off the nerves, and ready to try again. I am going to add rt and down thrust, and recheck the CG. Maybe a tad bit more nosewight, but the CG was where it belongs. And put a smaller prop on it. I think I bit off a little more than I could chew last year. It was only the beginning of last year that I made the transition to 4 channel. Started flying these 2 Parkzone Stinson Reliants with ailerons. Then I picked up this Decathelon with ailerons, which pretty much flies itself. Was also flying this biplane that was too fast for me. Then I jumped to a Carbon Z Cub, which I was doing pretty fair with. And all the while this is going on, I was also mixing in some of my 3 channel airplanes. I'm confusing myself on when I even need to use the rudder. And then I'm not happy, without 5 different airplanes in the back of the truck to fly. Then I was rushing before winter to get this Kadet into the air, Rushed construction and rammed it into the air. In hindsight, I learned a lesson. SLOW DOWN, FLY ONE OR TWO AIRPLANES, AND HAVE FUN WITH WHERE YOU ARE AT. Long story short, last year and the Kadet, I think my eyes were bigger than my thumbs?

IP Logged

thymekiller
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #16 - Dec 25th, 2016 at 10:09am
Print Post  
Could be the thrust issue.
Next time its up, cut the power and see how she glides. Should glide pretty much the same as going straight under power.
Maybe get a friend to throw it off the garage under strictly glide.  Maybe try a smaller prop during testing.
Just thoughts.....   

I rolled/screwed in my big bi-plane because of panic. I understand the feeling.  After making alot of repairs, I triple checked my balance. Also converted it to 3 channel. 4 channel kills my tiny brain. Now I'm nervous to fly it.
lolol

That's a beautiful job you've done on that plane. Really nice!!! Love those colors.

Eric

",,,The road goes on forever, and the party never ends..."

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #15 - Nov 20th, 2016 at 10:26am
Print Post  
I'd definitely add down and right thrust...and check out to make sure there are no warps and the ailerons are truly at neutral when thumbs are off the sticks!  Nothing like a challenging maiden to shake things up!!!!  I unfortunately remember those days!  But now days a bit of stick and tissue and rubber are a lot cheaper than all that great electronic nick!
Tom

IP Logged

DAVE Q
Global Moderator

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #14 - Nov 20th, 2016 at 10:12am
Print Post  
Finally maidened the Kadet on Friday, and it was not a pretty picture. The worst maiden I have ever had. Ground taxied it several times, and it went straight as an arrow. Even did a takeoff roll, hopped it into the air briefly, cut the power, and it tracked just perfect. Went for my takeoff run, shortly after leaving the ground. I realized it took full rt aileron to keep it in a slight left turn. My left rudder thumb froze/paniced, and did nothing. When I let the ailerons go to neutral, it just circled in a large left turn. Got it back in better shape than I expected, but now I'm afraid of it. My nerves are rattled. Ailerons worked when back on the ground. I'll be honest, I just threw an E FLITE power 32 in it, with a 5 cell battery, and a 12" prop. I wonder if torque was getting me? Also there is no down or rt trust built into it. Bet this is another error. A senior moment forgot to put washers under the motor mount for down and rt thrust. Do you guys think the lack of down and rt thrust was the problem here?

IP Logged

bigrip74
Administrator

What did l do this time!

Reply #13 - Oct 22nd, 2016 at 3:00pm
Print Post  
Dave, that is a beautiful paint job and trim Smiley

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!
IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #12 - Oct 21st, 2016 at 5:50pm
Print Post  
That's the fun of this hobby....eyes open for possible applications of tools, parts, or supplies that will make the build go easier.
Tom

IP Logged

DAVE Q
Global Moderator

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #11 - Oct 21st, 2016 at 3:41pm
Print Post  
Finally getting back around to finishing her. Life has a way of delaying getting done what is important in life. Building and flying. Hoping to get er done this weekend, and maiden her next weekend. I would love to maiden her before winter. Thought I would post my air intake idea for the fun of it. Mom was trowing away these plastic Christmas tree bulb covers, and as soon as I saw them, I knew where they could go. I cut the bottom off, and sanded them smooth, epoxied to the side of the cowl. And wa la, air intakes. I tried to brighten the picture, hopefully you can see them.

( 151 KB | 57 Downloads )
kadet_cowl.jpg

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #10 - Sep 21st, 2016 at 5:49pm
Print Post  
Dave,
She looks great. Well done! Smiley  Although I'm never been able to take off from the top of the corn fields Roll Eyes Shocked Grin Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint