Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) One Night In Jail (Read 9819 times)
Kittyfritters
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Re: One Night In Jail
Reply #14 - Jun 8th, 2019 at 8:06pm
Print Post  
Realized just why it wasn't competitive in the contest.  (You had to be in the over 2 minute range under a 20 foot ceiling and I was doing 40 seconds.)  The thing weighs 12 grams!  The competitive ones weighed around 7 grams. 

The night I threw it together I was short on light 1/16" square stock, all of which was committed to kits.  Then I remembered that I had some old 1/16" square stock that I got from another modeler so I used that.  It seemed to be a bit hard but I wanted the leading and trailing edges of the wing to be rugged anyway so I built with it.  Now you would think that I would have noticed it right away but I didn't (Don't build the night before the contest if you can avoid it,) until I was almost finished...it wasn't balsa, it was pine!  When I showed it at the Black Sheep meeting this week Kurt Young suggested that it wasn't a Legal Eagle but a Pine Pigeon.

On the other hand, I have all this pine stock, some nice, light card stock that laser cuts nicely, and I have several plans for Joe Ott kits...there are possibilities here.  Wink
-

Qua sublata omnia praecepta legis
IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #13 - May 30th, 2019 at 9:59am
Print Post  
I thought the "Jail Bird" name might already be taken.  This is a really good looking model KF!
Thanks for sharing it with us.
Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Kittyfritters
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #12 - May 29th, 2019 at 10:33pm
Print Post  
The markings are printed in waterproof ink on Gampi tissue using the same technique I use for the pre-printed skins in my no-cals and a few other kits.

I suppose it does look like a Jail Bird but I believe there is another Legal Eagle design by that name.

KF

IP Logged

bigrip74
Ex Member

Reply #11 - May 29th, 2019 at 8:07pm
Print Post  
Ditto what Tom just said.

Bob

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #10 - May 29th, 2019 at 7:40pm
Print Post  
Looks great...like a "Jail Bird" to me! Cheesy Wink Cool
Is that printed tissue?
Tom

IP Logged

Kittyfritters
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #9 - May 29th, 2019 at 5:48pm
Print Post  
This is my latest iteration of my Legal Eagle design that I built last night for the OFFC contest today.  I finished it at the meeting this morning and trimmed it during the contest.  It flies very well (Designing stable models has never been my problem.) but not competitively.  I could probably double the duration with a built for the job prop and the right selection of rubber but it still would not be competitive in this group.  There is also the possibility that I've taken the Legal Eagle concept too literally.

KF

( 91 KB | 182 Downloads )
LegalEagle-3_small.jpg

IP Logged

bigrip74
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Jul 12th, 2017 at 3:18pm
Print Post  
That is something that I would build it. Great job KF. loved the video.

Bob

IP Logged

Kittyfritters
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #7 - Jul 12th, 2017 at 2:42pm
Print Post  
Put up a demo flight just to get a video of it in the air.  It was already over 90 degrees (F) outside and the air conditioning was on full blast.  This wasn't too much of a problem for my Bostonian, but you can see this sub 10 gram model fighting with it.  Most of the O.F.F.C. members were practicing for the Penny Plane contest at the end of the month so they really had a problem with the A/C.  Most gave up and the flying session ended about an hour early.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueugpwWZXCE&feature=youtu.be

IP Logged

Kittyfritters
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #6 - Jul 5th, 2017 at 6:18pm
Print Post  
I didn't get it finished in time for the contest. Needing a hip replacement slows me down more than I would like to admit.  (Those of you in the UK and Europe will not understand or may find amusing the process I'm going through with my HMO in an effort to get it but, that's health care in the USA.)   That, and the fact that we're having a run of triple digit heat (Fahrenheit) and my garage has no air conditioning.  (My wife is not that appreciative of my working in the house except that she has my companionship while watching television.)  Anyway, I did get back to the parts in the box this weekend.

I said the I would take the cockpit off the wing to improve the aerodynamics and I did.  How I did it may look a bit weird  Winkhowever, it does satisfy the rules.  Somehow, the fuselage did not look so alarmingly lizard like in the drawing.  It all came together smoothly and, by way of celebration, I treated my wife and myself to a home made root beer float.

At the O.F.F.C. meeting, this morning, the opinion of it was that it was so ugly it was cute.  It took a little trimming and adjusting of rubber size but it's flying characteristics are stable and slow.  (No ballast again!  Still can't believe I'm that good.  Cool)  Should be competitive with a longer motor and a re-pitched prop.  Videos next week.

( 89 KB | 138 Downloads )
photo_5__001.JPG
( 132 KB | 155 Downloads )
photo_7_.JPG
( 120 KB | 164 Downloads )
photo_6_.JPG
( 114 KB | 143 Downloads )
photo_8_.JPG

IP Logged

bigrip74
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jun 23rd, 2017 at 9:00pm
Print Post  
Howard, I need an indoor venue to get away from this wind here. Please post a video.

Bob

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #4 - Jun 22nd, 2017 at 6:08pm
Print Post  
I look forward to more info and how your No. 2 does!!!
Tom

IP Logged

Kittyfritters
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #3 - Jun 22nd, 2017 at 4:24pm
Print Post  
I was going to build a new one for the contest next week but, then I decided to put this one on a diet.  Big mistake! I didn't realize how light I had built this thing until I tried to modify it.  Building a new one anyway.

More later.

IP Logged

Kittyfritters
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #2 - Dec 21st, 2016 at 3:41pm
Print Post  
This morning I got it finished enough to test fly. (Still needs the windshield and head rest.) 

It flew right off the board with no trimming necessary except for a small drag tab to get the turn tight enough for the room.  It would fly nicely, hand launched, on 1/16" rubber, but would not ROG.  Moving up to 3/32" rubber got it off the ground nicely but it flies way too fast to be competitive.  A bit of fiddling around with propellers and rubber and I will probably get longer flights out of it but it will still be an also ran.  It can be a lot lighter (12 grams without rubber now.) and I want to change the airfoil.   Back to the drawing board!

Here's how it flies:

https://youtu.be/mAVNsfz0YlI

( 133 KB | 175 Downloads )
photo_80_.JPG

IP Logged

bigrip74
Ex Member

Reply #1 - Dec 18th, 2016 at 10:32pm
Print Post  
Howard, I enjoyed the One nite in Jail.

Bob

IP Logged

Kittyfritters
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

One Night In Jail
Dec 18th, 2016 at 9:35pm
Print Post  
Several years back, the O.F.F.C. was having a Legal Eagle contest so I drew one up.  This is probably the last plan I drew by hand.  My inspiration was some of the ultra-light airplane designs of the 1920s and 30s that had their landing gear right on the bottom of the fuselage.

I showed the drawing to Dave Gee and he said, "That looks like a One Night In Boston."  At the time, I had not seen a One Night In Boston, so I looked up the plans.  OK, it looks very similar, and although I had been planning to call it the Bail Jumper, I changed the name to One Night In Jail.

I didn't build it that year, but Legal Eagle came around in the contest schedule two years back and I started working on it.  After all, how long can it take to build one of these things? I got the wings and tail feathers built and started on the fuselage. I built one side fine, but kept breaking the other side.  When I finally got the other side built I broke it trying to assemble the fuselage.  Something else came up and I didn't finish it.

Well, Legal Eagle came up in the schedule again for the 28th of this month.  Now I have lots to do, like the production prototype and plans editing for the Wright Amount of Wrong, and making sure that the back splash tile is finished behind our new quartz kitchen counters before Christmas, but since my wife and a friend were doing some holiday baking this evening I took the time to drag out the box with the Legal Eagle bits in it to try again.

This time I used some leftover alignment jigs from my Bostillation development to make sure the second side of the fuselage is identical to the first one and used them to assemble the fuselage square.  I had the fuselage finished, except for the nose block and the deck, in about an hour and a half, all while keeping up the conversation with my wife and her BFF and giving critical appraisal of the holiday goodies.

Anyway, here's a photo of it on the bench (TV tray). You can tell it's one of my older designs because of the excess truss work in the fuselage.  My intention, gift wrapping and other issues permitting, is to finish it in time to test fly it at Wednesday's  O.F.F.C. meeting.  Let you know if it's any good.

( 151 KB | 159 Downloads )
photo_79_.JPG

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint