Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Guillow's S.E. 5 super detailing (Read 25659 times)
Kaintuck
3 Star Member

Controled landings are
best!

Re: Guillow's S.E. 5 super detailing
Reply #85 - Dec 31st, 2019 at 5:27am
Print Post  
Solar Tex...on page 4, I think...
Marc

IP Logged

Iuell

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #84 - Dec 30th, 2019 at 5:05pm
Print Post  
Iím impressed with the level of details and the solution you have found to replicate the original. Absolutely amazing. I donít know if I have read all of your posts but I canít seem to find any information on what kind of covering you have used and color codes. Iíve just started on the same S.E-5 model from Gullows, but Iíve decided to make it a hybrid between static display and flyable model (rubber band) Iíve done a lot of alterations already, but the detail level will have to be compromised. Iíve made a replaceable system for the propeller, and undercarriage to be more crash friendly (although it will only be flown on a field with high gras) Anyway, if you could tell me what kind of covering material you have used and the color code, it would be much appreciated.

IP Logged

Skyediamonds
Global Moderator

Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling

Reply #83 - Feb 22nd, 2017 at 10:55am
Print Post  
Thank you Kittyfritter.  Had a lot of time to build this model.  It was intended to hone in on my detailing and modeling skills and to get the most out of a standard Stick n Tissue model.  Must admit that there were some challenges.  Just when I thought I had a specific detail worked out, something else would pop up.  I'm going to resume my postings of the Guillow's Wright Bros' Flyer.  That too, was a challenge.

IP Logged

Kittyfritters
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #82 - Feb 15th, 2017 at 5:18pm
Print Post  
Marvelous!  This looks like something done in the UK where they have more building time than flying time.  Tour de Force!

Qua sublata omnia praecepta legis
IP Logged

Skyediamonds
Global Moderator

Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling

Reply #81 - Feb 12th, 2017 at 4:28pm
Print Post  
The pilot is now ready to do combat in "style" with his appointed wood paneled cockpit interior and most importantly, with fuselage rib stitching his mother can be proud.

( 53 KB | 22 Downloads )
S_E__5_reduced___82_001.jpg
( 45 KB | 26 Downloads )
S_E__5_reduced___121_002.jpg
( 49 KB | 24 Downloads )
S_E__5_reduced___229.jpg
( 68 KB | 30 Downloads )
S_E__5_reduced___230.jpg

IP Logged

Skyediamonds
Global Moderator

Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling

Reply #80 - Feb 12th, 2017 at 4:13pm
Print Post  
This is the same method of assembling, pre-covering separate sections and then gluing them together as it applies to the fuselage.† Notice that the center of the balsa sheeting has a white fabric covering where the cockpit interior will be located.† I've noticed that on full sized aircraft, despite the olive drab outside covering, the interior of the cockpit fabric appears white, or a light beige.† It is with this in mind, that I covered this section.† Besides, it'll also help the interior structures and detailing "pop out."† Not bad, eh?† I'll admit that the colored picture of the full sized aircraft may be difficult to ascertain the lower interior of the fabric coloring, but the two remaining b+w photos should help.

( 52 KB | 21 Downloads )
S_E__5_reduced___225.jpg
( 50 KB | 21 Downloads )
S_E__5_reduced___226.jpg
( 60 KB | 23 Downloads )
S_E__5_reduced___22_001.jpg
( 60 KB | 23 Downloads )
S_E__5_reduced___23_002.jpg
( 43 KB | 23 Downloads )
S_E__5_reduced___24_001.jpg

IP Logged

Skyediamonds
Global Moderator

Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling

Reply #79 - Feb 12th, 2017 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
As noted earlier on previous postings, this is a display model.  Not to suggest that weight wasn't a factor, but I acknowledged that it wasn't going to limit my practice on my modeling skills (or my imagination).   To help keep the fuselage from falling apart, I decided from the onset to use a single sheet of 1/16" balsa on each lower side.  This will reinforce the fuselage, give the strength to hold the stitching, and provide a smooth surface for covering in the process.  I'll start with the assembly of my "proof of concept" practice fuselage as an example of how I will assemble the fuselage.  Note on the back, that the solid sheet of balsa is reinforced with strips of wood carefully placed near the formers (bulkhead) locations to help with the rigors of stitching.  I then covered the top portion first, followed by the lower part.  They were both covered separately.  After the covering was complete, they were glued together.  The the last image shows a nice, smooth, and tight fit and really helps to create that separation along the fuselage where the stitching will appear.  It was this method behind the whole idea of stitching in the first place.  Yeah.... lots of thinking here.

( 51 KB | 27 Downloads )
S_E__5_reduced___219.jpg
( 59 KB | 18 Downloads )
S_E__5_reduced___220.jpg
( 61 KB | 19 Downloads )
S_E__5_reduced___221.jpg
( 48 KB | 21 Downloads )
S_E__5_reduced___222.jpg
( 42 KB | 22 Downloads )
S_E__5_reduced___223.jpg
( 64 KB | 24 Downloads )
S_E__5_reduced___224.jpg

IP Logged

Skyediamonds
Global Moderator

Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling

Reply #78 - Feb 12th, 2017 at 3:34pm
Print Post  
For those of you who may wish to avoid the hassle of drilling into the fragile wooden surface; and may think of simply threading the strips of covering first, then gluing the whole assembly to the length of the fuselage.† I tried that.† Here's the results.† The threads "push" out the whole stitching, making it look very amateurish.† Yep, did a lot of thinking, (pondering, agonizing) and experimenting before coming to the idea of achieving the "ideal" method of fuselage stitching.  The next postings will reveal what I used to reinforce the fragile fuselage to stay together and to withstand the rigors of stitching.

( 340 KB | 20 Downloads )
S_E__5_reduced___215.jpg

IP Logged

Skyediamonds
Global Moderator

Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling

Reply #77 - Feb 12th, 2017 at 3:27pm
Print Post  
Here's the backside.† The secret of how the magician pulled that rabbit out of his hat.† I can see that "Aha" moment.† Now you can truly use this method to give your next biplane project that involves fuselage stitching a try.† Perhaps a Bristol F2b Brisfit?† R.E.8?† B.E.2c?† How about that Nieuport 17?

**Special note:  if possible, try to leave the bottom of the fuselage uncovered to allow you access to the ends of the threads and pull the remainder with a pair of tweezers.  You can push it in from the outside, but sometimes its just easier to pull it through in one quick, but slow, motion. 
Sure beats using a needle and complicated loop system.
« Last Edit: Feb 13th, 2017 at 3:24pm by Skyediamonds »  

( 56 KB | 20 Downloads )
S_E__5_reduced___217.jpg

IP Logged

Skyediamonds
Global Moderator

Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling

Reply #76 - Feb 12th, 2017 at 3:26pm
Print Post  
First, lay down some folded-over strips of covering.† The doubling of the strips will make them stand out.† If you only apply a single-sided strip, it will almost disappear into the fuselage covering.† Carefully mark each hole using a ruler or other such measuring tool.† Then using a pin vice with a bit that is larger then the thickness of the thread, drill each hole into the folded strips.† I say to use a large diameter hole (relatively speaking to the scale) because the thread's fuzz will "catch" onto the edges of the holes, making for pushing in the remainder portion of the thread more difficult.† You may wish to use a sharp pin as a "center punch" to help start the drilling.  Just remember to gently push the pin just enough to make a starter point for the drill bit, or you risk breaking the balsa wood behind the covering.† Cut a short piece of thread say, about one inch for starters.  The photos show the threads much shorter.  This is as a result of practice.  Simply glue one end through the hole, and allow the glue to dry.  Photo # 211 is the big give-away secret right there.† Simply bend the thread over itself to push the other end into the opposite hole.  To prevent the opposite end from fraying as you push it through the hole, just add a tiny drop of glue to harden it and allow the glue to dry.† This will make the end its own harden point to help prevent fraying and to help thread through.† With fingers (or wearing gloves) you can even give the end a slight twist to make it into a point for easier entry.  Don't allow the glue to flow through the whole thread via capillary action or else you'll have a stiff rod and not flexible threading.† Remember, the longer the pieces of thread, the more thread you'll have to push through the opposite hole.  Practice a bit on scrap -like I did using a pair of tweezers.† Pretty neat, eh?
« Last Edit: Feb 13th, 2017 at 3:20pm by Skyediamonds »  

( 48 KB | 24 Downloads )
S_E__5_reduced___216.jpg
( 54 KB | 17 Downloads )
S_E__5_reduced___209.jpg
( 58 KB | 22 Downloads )
S_E__5_reduced___210.jpg
( 48 KB | 17 Downloads )
S_E__5_reduced___211.jpg
( 57 KB | 16 Downloads )
S_E__5_reduced___212.jpg
( 331 KB | 18 Downloads )
S_E__5_reduced___214.jpg

IP Logged

Skyediamonds
Global Moderator

Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling

Reply #75 - Feb 12th, 2017 at 3:02pm
Print Post  
I'm going to jump ahead of myself and reveal the easy secret.  Can you see what I've done?  No long complicated threading with a curved needle into the fuselage, then, somehow blindly finding the next hole from within and poking (with force, mind you) the needle back out while trying to keep the fuselage from breaking up.  Can you see what's happening?  I'll show the step-by-step on my "proof of concept" or practice frame in the next postings.

( 51 KB | 20 Downloads )
S_E__5_reduced___208.jpg

IP Logged

Skyediamonds
Global Moderator

Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling

Reply #74 - Feb 12th, 2017 at 2:45pm
Print Post  
Here's a relatively close up picture of the finished fuselage stitching.† Yes, it's the Guillow's model (If you look closely, you can see the separation of the lower half of the fuselage from the upper rear decking.  More on this important aspect later).  Some modelers will apply an extra strip of covering along the length of the fuselage and then use marking pens to simulate stitching.† Such markings have no dimensions and even seems to enhance the appearance of simulation rather than depicting the stitching itself.† Others may try to simulate the stitching by gluing pieces of thread or other means such as glue drops stretched out.† Close examination will reveal gluing pieces will leave the ends of the threads sticking out, not curving into the holes of the fabric strip along the fuselage.† Glue drops don't have that all important "threaded" appearance.† In full sized aircraft, just as in all things, there are different methods of stitching as well, and as I've discovered about the S.E. 5, nothing is easy or consistent.† Stitching can also be zig zagged to small pins as seen in the next two images.† †I didn't like all those pins sticking out, as they can hook onto just about anything within reach and possibly break up the fragile covering/fuselage, and of course, cut me up in the process.† I really didn't have anything that came in that style and scale anyway.† I suppose I could grind away those small, itsy, bitsy pinheads in half to simulate the real ones (and there are dozens upon dozens of 'em), but do I really want to do this?† Any of the methods just described will be adequate and people will recognize this "simulation" for what it is.† I decided to take this stitching to another level and really get people's attention.† †Believe it or not, it's easy!
« Last Edit: Feb 12th, 2017 at 4:50pm by Skyediamonds »  

( 47 KB | 14 Downloads )
S_E__5_reduced___206.jpg
( 48 KB | 15 Downloads )
S_E__5_reduced___207.jpg
( 68 KB | 20 Downloads )
S_E__5_reduced___6_002.jpg

IP Logged

Skyediamonds
Global Moderator

Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling

Reply #73 - Feb 12th, 2017 at 2:15pm
Print Post  
Fuselage rib stitching.† As we've seen from the previous postings, I've pretty much cut away much of the fuselage framework in effort to completely furnish the cockpit interior top to bottom.† That slanted former for the instrument panel, would be cut in half, the top keel over the slanted former will be cut back to the next former in front and so on.† As noted on my previous posting, the only added stringers will be to the top rear decking.  So you can easily see from the first image, there really isn't much to hold the fuselage together.† At this stage, it's really fragile.† To go from a fragile, bare fuselage to the finished product, and to add any fuselage stitching on top of that, is going to require some imaginative thinking.† This means some type of reinforcement to hold the fuselage together and at the same time, withstand the stitching process.†

( 40 KB | 17 Downloads )
S_E__5_reduced___18_001.jpg
( 60 KB | 17 Downloads )
S_E__5_reduced____2_003.jpg

IP Logged

Skyediamonds
Global Moderator

Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling

Reply #72 - Feb 12th, 2017 at 1:59pm
Print Post  
Tom ( & fellow members ), this is what I use to convert my b+w and colored negatives to digital format.  I realize that the pictures here are blurry, so I'll explain:  It's called: a Delux "Digital Image Copier" by Hammacher Schelemmer.  No model number was given either on the box or on the device itself.  So if you look it up on the Internet, you'll probably have to reference this device by pictures. It's a small portable device that allows me to singularly upload each negative, at 6 per slide holder, into a flash drive.  While the flash drive is still inserted to the portable converter, they provide an extension cord that is compatible to any of the open USB ports on my laptop and from there, I can download the pictures to a folder file and then format the pictures for this site.   The beauty of this device is I don't need a computer to convert the negative/slides to digital.  It's portable.  At my convenience, I can convert any negative/slide anytime I wish.  It's all self-contained and easily loads into a flash drive inserted in the back.  It says you can edit and erase any of the pictures so you can use the flash drive time and again.  Or simply purchase another flash drive and go from there. I realize this method can be tedious, especially if the collection numbers into the thousands.  However, I don't have to upload all of the negatives into the flash drive, just the ones I need for the moment.  There are programs whereby you can lay out the slides/negatives over a scanner/copier at dozens at a time, but this requires (for me) complex setups and programming.   It's just a simple, easy to use, portable device and handy for what I need to use.  The flash drive itself can also be taken to any of the major outlets such as, Walgreens, Costco, etc., and they will convert the digital images into pictures of any size you wish.  Hope this helps.  -skye (Gary)

( 43 KB | 15 Downloads )
S_E__5_reduced___204.jpg
( 47 KB | 16 Downloads )
S_E__5_reduced___205.jpg

IP Logged

Skyediamonds
Global Moderator

Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling

Reply #71 - Feb 12th, 2017 at 1:18pm
Print Post  
faif2d, Tom, and Bob, thank you guys for the input.  Bob, I'm truly sorry but I don't have Paint program.  I've loaded some programs in the past that were supposed to enhance my pictures only to discover that my photos more closely resembled Pablo Piasco's abstract works of art & in the process, my computer crashed.  The crash was bad enough for me to call upon Computer Squad for help.  Even after taking a full year of community college computer courses, I'm just as computer-challenged as ever.  Tom, I'd really like to set up some kind of Thread where members of S&T can access to detailed photos.  I've included samplings during my S.E. 5 build, but have many more. Sounds like you've got an impressive collection.  faif2d, to you, I sincerely thank you for your input.  Really appreciated that you're enjoying my postings.  I've always wanted to be able to witness a true step-by-step process from beginning to end; of any series of detailings.  Too often, I've read in magazines and other sites I can only see either the end results, or just a few samplings of disassembly laid out prior to painting, as if in a pose for picture-taking, and not really elaborating how they achieved that particular detail or finish.  There are exceptions of course, but to me, they're far and few in between.  I was truly concerned that I might be going a bit overboard in my presentations.  Please keep your commentary coming!  If I missed something or your have a question, anything, just give me a holler.  Thank you guys for your encouragement.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Send TopicPrint