Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Indoor Flying With The O.F.F.C. (Read 36377 times)
LASTWOODSMAN
5 Star Member

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Re: Indoor Flying With The O.F.F.C.
Reply #29 - Sep 29th, 2017 at 8:47am
Print Post  
Hi Howard - wishing you a speedy recovery from your hip replacement surgery.   Smiley
LWM

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...

IP Logged

Kittyfritters
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #28 - Sep 28th, 2017 at 8:17pm
Print Post  
Once again I did not attend the O.F.F.C. monthly contest.  This time it was because I am recovering from my birthday present last Friday, a new right hip.  I have been assured that I will be receiving photos and video to post along with the results.  I will post as soon as I get them.

Howard

Qua sublata omnia praecepta legis
IP Logged

bigrip74
Ex Member

Reply #27 - Sep 12th, 2017 at 9:14am
Print Post  
pb_guy wrote on Sep 5th, 2017 at 10:10am:
Nice looking group of planes for a short build. Perhaps the OFFC should have a Grandkids flyoff. The OFF's can do the building, but the grandkids would have to do the flying. (It would be permissible to hire/borrow a grandchild if you didn't have one on hand).  Grin
ian

That, I would like to see Grin

Bob

IP Logged

pb_guy
5 Star Member

So I'm just a kid at heart.

Reply #26 - Sep 5th, 2017 at 10:10am
Print Post  
Nice looking group of planes for a short build. Perhaps the OFFC should have a Grandkids flyoff. The OFF's can do the building, but the grandkids would have to do the flying. (It would be permissible to hire/borrow a grandchild if you didn't have one on hand).  Grin
ian

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #25 - Sep 5th, 2017 at 9:19am
Print Post  
Thanks Howard for the report and looks like inspite of the "center pylon" they had a good time and looks like some great models in attendance.

Congratulations to the winner and those who placed.  I'm sure they all had a good time!
Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Kittyfritters
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #24 - Sep 4th, 2017 at 10:20pm
Print Post  
I did not attend the contest so I'm copying Dave Gee's report of the contest from the Black Sheep Squadron newsletter.

Fliers were Don Martin, Don Smith, John Buntin, Joe Whiting, Don Butman, Dave Gee, and Bill Watson. 11 entries made for a wide and varied field.
The planes included 2 Fikes, 2 Piper Cubs, a Farman Moustique, Yak 5, SE5a, Pietenpol, 1910 Faris monoplane, Rearwin Speedster, and a Heath Racer. Some were old models, well-trimmed. Others were brand new and untested until the very day.

This year's rules favored flying over scale, with Mooney judging adding only a few bonus points based on how well each plane did in comparison to the others. The 10 second ROG bonus per flight was used by surprisingly few contestants.

Peanut is a challenging category, especially in the small OFFC gym. Things were complicated by a minor fuss with the leader of the preschool kids, who refused to compromise on floor space. Having a table of little kids in the middle of the room is a factor that the Reno Air Races never faced. We flew over their heads and into the table-legs, and forged ahead.

Bill Watson finished in first place with an immaculate Fike, steadily flown. Dave managed second with his long-nosed 1910 Faris eindekker. Don Butman again showed that he makes 'em fly as well as they look, with a third place Rearwin. Joe Whiting had disagreements with his SE5a, and had to settle for 4th place.

Thanks to Stan for timing, Pete for keeping such careful records of the contest, and Will for these pictures.

( 127 KB | 65 Downloads )
Peanut_Contest_Fliers.jpg

IP Logged

Kittyfritters
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #23 - Aug 30th, 2017 at 2:44pm
Print Post  
I apologize for not reporting promptly on the Peanut Scale contest.  I did not attend because of some personal business but will report as soon as I get the results.

Howard

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #22 - Jul 27th, 2017 at 5:14pm
Print Post  
KF...thanks for the report and the pic.  Looks like everyone had fun.  Too bad I don't live closer, it'd be fun to join in with y'all.

Keep the reports coming! 
Tom

IP Logged

Kittyfritters
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #21 - Jul 27th, 2017 at 1:39pm
Print Post  
Last Wednesday, July 26th, was the Penny Plane contest. 

I'll have to admit that Penny Plane is not my thing, I don't build that light.  Also, the contest can be a bit tedious since the flights and the prep between them can take some time.   Once again, it proved that these extremely light models are difficult to store for any length of time.  Several models could not complete the full number of attempted flights due to accumulated damage. 

Bill Watson built a new one for the contest and walked away with it.  He said that he was going to get four minute flights in that room and he did.  Also, there was a first, for me anyway, in this kind of flying...an in flight structural failure that actually destroyed the model! Shocked  Don Butman was not intending his fourth flight to be the last one of the day but a few seconds into the flight the motor stick simply disintegrated under the tension of the rubber (.075!) and the rest of the model simply fell to the floor in a heap.  For a contest where the flights are usually as exciting as watching paint dry that was positively horrifying!

The contest was done on a total of the best two flights of five attempts with a minimum of 20 seconds to be an official flight.  (Yes, if trimmed wrong a Penny Plane can fly for less than 20 seconds!) and all contestants models were weighed for a 3 gram minimum. 

The results were:

1.     Bill Watson              3.2 g           474.6 seconds
2.     Bud Matthews          5.13            290.36
3.     Don Butman             6.8             240                     3 flights
4.     Don Martin               6.9             226                     3 flights
5.     Stan Christopher       6.6             169                     2 flights
6.     Lowell Norenberg       4.5              97.36                 2 flights

Pete Bassone's model was damaged during pre-contest trimming and was not flown in competition.

Still, despite the frustrations it was an interesting contest and the members had fun (See smiles in group shot.).

We did have a visitor to the contest who will likely be joining the group.  The invitation still stands to anyone who is in the area on Wednesday mornings to come to our meeting and flying session.  Meetings start at 9:00 AM and flying from 10 to Noon at the Stonehurst Recreation Center gym, 9901 Dronfield Avenue, Sun Valley, California.

Next contest is August 30.  The subject is Peanut Scale.  Scale judging is modified Mooney judging not full on FAC rules.

( 128 KB | 63 Downloads )
photo_78__001.JPG

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #20 - Jun 29th, 2017 at 8:31pm
Print Post  
Congrats to Bill and thanks for the report and great video.  What a nice slow flight.  Amazing nose high attitude.
Tom

IP Logged

Kittyfritters
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #19 - Jun 29th, 2017 at 2:07pm
Print Post  
The Legal Eagle contest was on Wednesday the 26th.  It went smoothly but to say it went well would be overstating the case. There were eight entrants but only four of them were able to get official flights.  All flights were ROG and a minimum of 20 seconds was required for an official flight.  Each contestant had six attempts and the time was the best three of six.

The problem was that we had old guys flying old airplanes.  Light flying models only last so long.  When you keep them for years they acquire damage and repairs which adds weight and changes the trim..  A winning model from a few years back might have trim problems now that keep it from making the official flight minimum.  Example was Bill Watson who built a new model for the contest (his first Legal Eagle) and ran away with it.

The results were:

Bill Watson                           290.0 seconds
Joe Whiting                          166.8
Don Butman                          117.0
Stan Christopher                   114.0

No one else got an official flight.

Yes, I know I said I was going to have my new One Night In Jail in the contest, but I got so involved with other things that I didn't finish it in time and I destroyed the old one when I tried to put it on a diet. So, I did some timing and took pictures.

Here is the group picture from the end of the contest and a link to a video of Bill Watson flying his winning model for the camera after his official flights.    The flight was intended to be short enough for my old cell phone to transmit to my computer but it was still too long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbtuZR6REUM

( 122 KB | 73 Downloads )
photo_2__001.JPG

IP Logged

bigrip74
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Jun 16th, 2017 at 7:17pm
Print Post  
Howard, thanks for the video. I wanted to go fly so bad it hurt after watching the beautiful Comet Scorpion.

Bob

IP Logged

Kittyfritters
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #17 - Jun 16th, 2017 at 1:44pm
Print Post  
Here's a video of Dave Gee's Comet Scorpion flying at the contest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8vBzUxq5ZU&feature=youtu.be

IP Logged

bigrip74
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Jun 16th, 2017 at 9:32am
Print Post  
Howard, nice group that you belong to. I only have one in my club. ME! I love seeing your photos of the group and the venues. Keep them coming.

Bob

IP Logged

pb_guy
5 Star Member

So I'm just a kid at heart.

Reply #15 - Jun 14th, 2017 at 8:07pm
Print Post  
Looks like some YFF's in with the OFF's in that second pic.  Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 
Send TopicPrint