Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Indoor Flying With The O.F.F.C. (Read 36389 times)
Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Re: Indoor Flying With The O.F.F.C.
Reply #74 - Jul 18th, 2019 at 1:57pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the report and the pictures.  Congrats to the winners and keep em flying!!! Smiley

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Kittyfritters
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #73 - Jul 17th, 2019 at 10:18pm
Print Post  
I was out of the country for the A-6 contest on June 26 so I can't give you a description of how it went but I was given the results and a few photos.

The results:

1. Bill Watson            272   seconds
2. Jim Leuken            182.5
3. Pete Basone          179.8
4. Don Butman           148.3
5. Bud Matthews        N/A

The photos are the finishers, Bill Watson, Jim Leuken, Kurt and Barry who were timing, and Will Woods.  I don't know how Will didn't end up finishing.

The next contest was the outdoor Predicted Time/ Spot Landing contest on July 17.

( 127 KB | 46 Downloads )
A6_Group_Annotated_001.jpg
( 137 KB | 45 Downloads )
A-6_2019_Bill_smaller.jpg
( 96 KB | 44 Downloads )
A-6_2019_Jim_2_Smaller.jpg
( 151 KB | 40 Downloads )
A-6_2019_Kurt_Barry_smaller.jpg
( 167 KB | 44 Downloads )
A-6_2019_Will_smaller.jpg

Qua sublata omnia praecepta legis
IP Logged

bigrip74
Ex Member

Reply #72 - Jun 20th, 2019 at 9:06pm
Print Post  
To have an indoor venue. WOW! Great times posted, thanks for sharing KF.

Bob

IP Logged

Kittyfritters
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #71 - Jun 20th, 2019 at 8:27pm
Print Post  
The Legal Eagle contest happened on Wednesday, May 29.  There was a very good turnout for the meeting but only six members brought models for the contest.  Bill Watson, once again, proved what can be done with a light, carefully trimmed model by winning , but it wasn’t a runaway with Paul Avery coming in a close second.  Joe Whiting had an interesting design that had some structural issues but after repairs it turned in a good performance for third place.  Don Butman finished  fourth with a usual competent performance but had trouble breaking a minute.  Howard Littman brought a development of his last Legal Eagle design but he finished and trimmed it at the contest and was only able to get three flights of around 40 seconds in before the end.  Don Smith finished sixth.

Results:  (Total of best 3 flights out of 6)

1.      Bill Watson                  335.9  seconds
2.      Paul Avery                  320.2  (5 total flights)
3.      Joe Whiting                  203.2  (4 total flights)
4.      Don Butman                  175.5 
5.      Howard Littman            117.7  (3 total flights)
6.      Don Smith                    65.2  (4 total flights)

The next contest is A-6 on June 26.
« Last Edit: Jun 22nd, 2019 at 12:00pm by Kittyfritters »  

( 369 KB | 50 Downloads )
OFFC_Legal_Eagle_Contest_5-29-19-ANNOTATED_smaller_001.jpg

IP Logged

Kittyfritters
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #70 - Apr 24th, 2019 at 10:09pm
Print Post  
The O.F.F.C. Cat Glider contest happened, as scheduled, on Wednesday, April 24.  Although several members brought gliders some were deemed not working that day and were not flown.  The contest started with 5 contestants.  One of them, Charlotte, is an eleven year old girl who was brought to the meeting by her grandfather.  (Yes, our contests are open to anyone.)

The rules were any glider, any size or materials, with rubber limited to a six inch loop and if a catapult stick is used it is limited to six inches in length.  The contestants had three sets of three flights (nine flights total) with the best single flight counted.  Cat gliders, being somewhat cantankerous if not launched just right provided an interesting, if not entertaining, variety of flights with one flight soaring gracefully near the ceiling and gliding majestically and the very next flight being shortened by slamming into the ceiling or the wall.  Charlotte did quite well.  She was coached by her grandfather but did all the flying herself.

The results were:
1.   Bill Watson         29.8 seconds
2.   Jim Leuken         22.9
3   Charlotte Acosta      17.9
4.   Don Smith         16.2
5.   Bud Matthews      13.7

CD           Howard Littman
Timers      Howard Littman, Will Woods

The next contest is Legal Eagle on May 29th.  Bud Matthews is the CD.

( 356 KB | 51 Downloads )
OFFC_Cat_Glider_Contest_4-24-2019__2__ANNOTATED_smaller.jpg

IP Logged

Kittyfritters
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #69 - Mar 28th, 2019 at 4:03pm
Print Post  
Here are more pictures from the Delta Dart contest.

( 85 KB | 119 Downloads )
Ddart2019_20190327_101003_001.jpg
( 77 KB | 101 Downloads )
Ddart2019_20190327_101011.jpg
( 106 KB | 120 Downloads )
Ddart2019_20190327_112836.jpg
( 98 KB | 102 Downloads )
Ddart2019_20190327_102934.jpg

IP Logged

Kittyfritters
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #68 - Mar 28th, 2019 at 3:51pm
Print Post  
Wednesday, March 27, 2019, the scheduled March O.F.F.C. contest, Build On Site Delta Darts was held.  Everyone coming to the meeting was given their choice of Delta Dart materials, skins printed with various national insignia, sticks, motor sticks, glue sticks, pins, prop assemblies, CA and kicker, and rubber all supplied courtesy of the CD, Dave Gee.  The meeting was spent building the models (with very few expletives) and at the end of the meeting we went out into the gym to fly.  The contest was the best two of unlimited attempts and an end of contest mass launch.

To everyone’s surprise, since the motor sticks were, apparently, too short, they all seemed to fly well!   Most of the flights were in the 30 second range. There were some flights that were dramatic with the plane bouncing off the walls and various other obstructions but, even those had decent times.  Dave Gee had a 39 and a 41 second flight for the win.  Bill Watson had a 40 second flight, Stan Christopher had a 41 second flight and Don Butman and I had 43 second flights.  I thought I had it in the bag when I got the 43 second flight and was winding for another one when I broke the motor, and proceeded to break two more motors in a row.   Someone made the remark that I had fallen prey to competition lust.  By that time I had to put another motor in for the end of contest mass launch.

The end of contest mass launch was a riot with two models being flown right and the rest left, but amazingly no collisions!  There was a video of this but it hasn't been posted yet.  Bill Watson's Delta Dart was the last one up so he won the mass launch.

The results were:
            (Total of best two flights)
1.   Dave Gee                80 seconds
2.   Don Butman            79
3.   Bill Watson              77 (Winner of end of contest Mass Launch)
4 .  Howard Littman       77 (tie broken by time of next best flight)
5.   Stan Christopher      50
6.   Barry Daugherty      32
7.   Pete Basone            31
8.   Don Martin              22
9.   Don Smith               15

There were a couple of others that were broken test flying.  The results might have been quite different if some of the members test flying had called for a time.

( 141 KB | 110 Downloads )
Ddart2019_Group_annotated.jpg
( 114 KB | 66 Downloads )
Ddart2019_4.JPG
( 83 KB | 111 Downloads )
Ddart2019_20190327_112931.jpg
( 82 KB | 56 Downloads )
Ddart2019_5.JPG

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #67 - Mar 23rd, 2019 at 12:12am
Print Post  
Sounds like fun, I look forward to seeing your post of the meet and the results.  Thanks for posting!
Sky9pilot

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Kittyfritters
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #66 - Mar 22nd, 2019 at 4:46pm
Print Post  
Got an email from Jim.  The rule about the flight without the weight will be eliminated.  It really doesn't prove anything and would be a waste of time at the contest.

KF

IP Logged

Kittyfritters
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #65 - Mar 21st, 2019 at 3:43pm
Print Post  
Well, the Old Farts have done it again!  There will be an off the schedule contest in August shoehorned between the Dime Scale and Phantom Flash contests.  Jim Leuken came up with the idea and, according to club rules, since he came up with it, he has to be the CD for it.   Grin

The contest will be RUBBER PAYLOAD.  Jim brought the proposed rules to the meeting, yesterday, and the group discussed it.  In spite of (or maybe because of) Dave Gee's attempts at rule bending the group came up with only one change, the payload weight must be clay.  Everyone seemed to be excited about the engineering challenge involved and there was a lively discussion about which approach to take for the contest. 

RUBBER PAYLOAD RULES (Provisional)

1. Model may be any size with any structural materials.

2. Model may use any wood, plastic or paper prop.

3. Model must be powered with a single loop of 1/8", flat, tan sport rubber of any length.

4. The payload weight must be made of clay.

5. The payload weight must be removable for weighing.

6. Flying will be indoors.

7. Flights must be R.O.G.

8. The model must demonstrate a flight of at least 20 seconds without the payload.

9. The model must make a flight of at least 20 seconds with the payload to have an official flight.

10. The winner is the model that makes a flight of at least 20 seconds with the heaviest payload.

Bill Watson, who had been working with Jim on the proposed rules, came to the meeting with a model built to the rules as they stood before the change.  It was an all balsa, ROG type, with a high aspect ratio, extreme camber, wing of about 24 inch span.  It flew fairly well but looks as though it will need a larger prop to carry a significant load and longer landing gear to clear the larger prop.  Many approaches to the problem were discussed from designing a new model to using a P-18 with landing gear and a payload holder. It will be interesting to see the different models that are built.

Think about it, what would your approach be?

KF

IP Logged

Kittyfritters
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #64 - Mar 2nd, 2019 at 4:22pm
Print Post  
OK, Hugh Langhans just sent me the group picture so here it is. The other pictures are Joe Whiting winding his model, and Don Butman checking on the time of his last flight.

( 156 KB | 106 Downloads )
Bostonian_2019_Group_annotated_small.jpg
( 118 KB | 54 Downloads )
JoeWBost_2019.JPG
( 76 KB | 68 Downloads )
DonBBost2_2019.JPG

IP Logged

Kittyfritters
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #63 - Mar 2nd, 2019 at 4:01pm
Print Post  
The second O.F.F.C. contest of the year, Bostonian, was held on February 27th.  Hugh Langhans was the CD.

There was a mix of new and old reliable models.  Bill Watson brought a new model that was not only a brilliant example of a built to the rules Bostonian but used innovative structural techniques.  Other models, new or not, were proven designs.  Bill also brought a Bostonian T-craft.  I don't know which one he got his best flight with.

I flew my original Irish Jumping Bean but only got two flights with it.  The first was under wound and too short.  The second was over wound and made like a pinball between the lights hanging from the ceiling.  I figured I had the winding dialed in but while putting in in the stooge to wind for my third flight I broke the wing tip and while trying to fix that broke the landing gear out of the fuselage. (I didn't start flying indoor until 2009 and don't have well developed motion control synergies for handling smaller, relatively delicate models.  Have to work on this.  Getting old ain't for sissies!) Oh, well, I have another Jumping Bean on the bench and I had to leave early anyway.

The results were:

1st  Pete Basone.          105.7
2nd Joe Whiting.          104.6
3rd Bill Watson.              90.5
4th Don Butman.            80.3
5th Howard Littman.      61.5
6th Don Smith.                23.6
7th Wynn Hammer.        N/A

The pictures are Pete Basone waiting his turn to fly, Bill Watson with his new model, Bill's Bostonian T-craft, the timing table with Kurt Young, Stan Christopher, Hugh Langhans timing and John Veal watching.  When I get the group picture I will post it.

The next contest will be Build-On-Site Delta Dart.  Materials supplied by CD but we can bring our own rubber.  Should be interesting!

( 83 KB | 56 Downloads )
PeteBBost_2019.JPG
( 58 KB | 56 Downloads )
BillBost5_2019.JPG
( 113 KB | 47 Downloads )
BillBost1_2019.JPG
( 120 KB | 44 Downloads )
BosTimers_2019.JPG

IP Logged

Kittyfritters
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #62 - Feb 2nd, 2019 at 7:02pm
Print Post  
The first O.F.F.C .  contest of 2019 was for the old, reliable Minnows.  On Wednesday, January 30 seven members battled for supremacy.  It’s hard to get a really bad flight with a Minnow but getting great flights under a 24 foot ceiling that only has 22 feet of clear space (Yes, the dangling halogen lights are an improvement…Not!) takes real skill and some luck.  Some of us were flying new ones built in the last two weeks and some old and patched.

The results were:
1.      Bill Watson                  220.39   seconds
2.      Pete Basone                    145.00
3.      Don Butman                    132.00
4.      Howard Littman                    131.84
5.      Don Smith                  123.39
6.      Don Martin                  113.39
7.      Wynn Hammer                      52.19

The February contest will be Bostonians.

( 313 KB | 107 Downloads )
01-30-19_Minnow_Group_Annotated_smaller.jpg

IP Logged

Kittyfritters
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #61 - Dec 29th, 2018 at 1:05am
Print Post  
The December O.F.F.C. contest is ROG Unlimited.  The CD is listed as Ed Slobod (FBTG).  The FBTG stands from From Beyond The Grave since the contest is a memorial to Ed.  The contest is for any rubber powered model airplane that will ROG.  It was held on Boxing Day this year and was attended and due to timing and circumstances attracted five entries.

Bill Watson flew a model that he designed just for the contest.  It was a small ROG with film covered wings and a rolled tube motor stick.  His best two out of five flight score was 341.4 seconds!  That’s 5 minutes and 69 seconds in the Stonehurst gym with the air conditioner/heater running.  His best flight was a little over 4 minutes.

Joe Whiting came In second at 107.2 seconds flying an Embryo.  I was third at 80.2 seconds flying an old Minnow with patched tissue and wings that had so many breaks that half the weight of the airframe was glue.  Don Smith had an equally old Minnow.  I had to leave early so I don’t know the significance of the notation on the timing sheet “STOMPED ON PLANE” in the third flight column in Don’s row.  Winn Hammer got in some flights but could not get the model to ROG.

At this writing I have not received any photos from the contest.

The members have decided the schedule for 2019:
Month            Model                        CD
January 30              Minnow                          Will Woods
February 27      Bostonian                          Hugh Langhans
March 27              Delta Dart (Build on Site)      Dave Gee
April 24            Catapult Glider                  Howard Littman
May 29            Legal Eagle                   Bud Matthews
June 12            Outdoor Spot/Time            Dave Gee
June 26            A-6                               Jim Lueken
July 31            Dime Scale                          Joe Whiting
August 28              Phantom Flash                  Don Martin
September 25      One Design                  Dave Gee and Bill Watson
October 30              No Cal                        Don Butman
November 27      P-18                         Barry Dougherty
December 18      R.O.G. Unlimited                    Ed Slobod (FBTG)

Don Martin has retired from the presidency of the group and Bill Watson has assumed the office.

IP Logged

Kittyfritters
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #60 - Dec 15th, 2018 at 2:23pm
Print Post  
Time to catch up with the year.  When we last left our intrepid fliers they were getting ready for the No-Cal Scale contest at the end of November.  The usual location, Stonehurst Rec Center gym, was available.  After the one hour meeting the contest commenced.

Firstly, the designated CD was not present.  Kurt Young, who did not bring a model, "volunteered" to be the CD, record keeper and timer.  The contest, for some reason (Remember, we're a bunch of old guys, @#%^ happens!), was not as well attended as one expects for a No-Cal contest with only five members bringing models. Some brought more than one, but the CD decided only the best flying model counted for scoring.

The only new models were the Zero by Bill Watson and the Heinkel 119 by Dave Gee.  Bill also brought a Fike which is usually a "sure thing" at a No-Cal contest.  The Heinkel, by proportion and layout, and at just over 5 grams, looked like a sure thing but proved almost impossible to trim.  Jim Leuken brought a Bucker Jungmeister being proxy flown for Dave Saks.  Jim Leuken's gentle flying Bleriot pusher (A model of the first airplane Bleriot actually got to fly, although the No-Cal model can stay in the air longer than the real airplane.) has been at previous contests and Don Butman's PZL (Actually, he, being a bit OCD, brought two of them.) is an extremely reliable flier.  I was going to bring my new F2A to fly and trim for the upcoming Pearl Harbor contest, but since I had not built it yet I patched up my much trashed, old P-36/Hawk 75 with Scotch Tape and tissue and flew it.

The results were:

1.  Bill Watson          Zero    191.4
2.  Jim Leuken          Bleriot 154.8
3.  Don Butman        PZL      133.2
4.  Howard Littman   P-36       71.6
5.  Dave Saks           Bucker    69.7
6.  Dave Gee            Heinkel   14.1

The December contest is, as usual, the Ed Slobad Memorial R.O.G. Unlimited contest for any rubber powered model that will R.O.G.  This can be very interesting since the Penny Planes with landing gear don't always win.

( 124 KB | 53 Downloads )
11-28-18_Kurt_as_CD.JPG
( 121 KB | 50 Downloads )
11-28-18_Heinkel_119.JPG
( 119 KB | 103 Downloads )
11-28-18_Group2_Annotated_Small.jpg

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8
Send TopicPrint