Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) How to rig flying wires using the Guillows Wright (Read 10994 times)
bigrip74
Ex Member

Re: How to rig flying wires using the Guillows Wright
Reply #29 - Mar 15th, 2017 at 7:30pm
Print Post  
As I follow this thread I keep scratching my head to figure out how you have done so much. Great work. Smiley

Bob

IP Logged

Skyediamonds
Global Moderator

Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling

Re: How to rig flying wires using the Guillows Wright Flyer kit
Reply #28 - Mar 11th, 2017 at 4:10pm
Print Post  
Thank you Tom.  Your appraisal is very much appreciated and truly valued.  I just wanted to show everyone how easy the rigging and assembly of a seemingly "complex" model can be, if everything is taken apart into small step-by-step construction.  I hope I didn't overdo too many postings of small sub-assemblies or rigging.  I was thinking of simply guiding the readers/members through each small stage one step at a time so as to make is easy to read and understandable as well as and enjoyable. I also hope  my casual "Jes' movin' right along" expressions were acceptable.  I only wanted to convey that this was not a "nail-biting, gut wretching, heart-stopping, tension-stretching" build, but rather an enjoyable experience that can be shared by all.  I hope this rigging portion could also be used in a special section of your rigging guide.  Sincerely,  Gary (Skye)

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #27 - Mar 10th, 2017 at 7:19pm
Print Post  
Fabulous model. Thanks for the info on the rigging.  Detail is outstanding!!!! Smiley
Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Skyediamonds
Global Moderator

Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling

Reply #26 - Mar 10th, 2017 at 6:01pm
Print Post  
Completed model of the Wright Flyer as it flew December 17, 1903.

( 81 KB | 131 Downloads )
Wright_Flyer_reduced___152.jpg
( 78 KB | 101 Downloads )
Wright_Flyer_reduced___153.jpg
( 77 KB | 102 Downloads )
Wright_Flyer_reduced___154.jpg
( 85 KB | 115 Downloads )
Wright_Flyer_reduced___155.jpg
( 89 KB | 135 Downloads )
Wright_Flyer_reduced___156.jpg

IP Logged

Skyediamonds
Global Moderator

Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling

Reply #25 - Mar 10th, 2017 at 5:56pm
Print Post  
The rudder was probably the least complex sub-assembly.  A simple boxed frame that was wood stained only on the top and bottom.  I've seen other modelers stain the whole frame and somehow, it came off a bit too much contrast.  The rigging was already installed on the frame and it was a simple matter of installing the frame work first, then hooking up the rudder followed by the cross rigging. 

( 66 KB | 100 Downloads )
Wright_Flyer_reduced___146.jpg
( 95 KB | 126 Downloads )
Wright_Flyer_reduced___147.jpg
( 89 KB | 97 Downloads )
Wright_Flyer_reduced___148.jpg
( 91 KB | 133 Downloads )
Wright_Flyer_reduced___149.jpg

IP Logged

Skyediamonds
Global Moderator

Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling

Reply #24 - Mar 10th, 2017 at 5:50pm
Print Post  
Front elevator assembly completed.

( 86 KB | 112 Downloads )
Wright_Flyer_reduced___150.jpg
( 87 KB | 99 Downloads )
Wright_Flyer_reduced___151.jpg

IP Logged

Skyediamonds
Global Moderator

Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling

Reply #23 - Mar 10th, 2017 at 5:33pm
Print Post  
Before, during, and after shots.  Only addition was the pilot's lever to complete the assembly.  Note that the rudder frame has not been installed.   Now the model is starting to look like a "Wright Flyer" with all of its rigging.  Once the elevator assembly was installed, I was then able to rig the undersides of the plane.

( 94 KB | 178 Downloads )
Wright_Flyer_reduced___139.jpg
( 101 KB | 109 Downloads )
Wright_Flyer_reduced___140.jpg
( 99 KB | 101 Downloads )
Wright_Flyer_reduced___141.jpg

IP Logged

Skyediamonds
Global Moderator

Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling

Reply #22 - Mar 10th, 2017 at 5:23pm
Print Post  
Let's add the front elevator.  During one of my rare moments of lucidity, the instructions were followed and the frame itself has already been completed and is set for rigging of the flight controls with a chain drive.  I've added some wood stain and some bracket accessories to help bring out some character. I'll be the first to admit that I also used a bit of artistic license and used brass chains for that added "bling" instead of the "normal" cold, bleak, stark, monotonous, dreary, dull (did I say "normal?"), steel colored chains (ahem).  Notice too, that the accessories, rigging, and the chain drives were all added prior to installing the elevator frame to the main wings.  Again, this allows me maximum access to all parts of the elevator frame.  Only thing remaining is to simply add this sub-assembly to the wings.

( 72 KB | 99 Downloads )
Wright_Flyer_reduced___135.jpg
( 77 KB | 87 Downloads )
Wright_Flyer_reduced___136.jpg
( 90 KB | 89 Downloads )
Wright_Flyer_reduced___137.jpg

IP Logged

Skyediamonds
Global Moderator

Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling

Reply #21 - Mar 10th, 2017 at 4:31pm
Print Post  
The rear set of rigging pretty much follows the same pattern as the front.  Still pretty simplified in the approach of breaking down into easy steps.  The first picture shows both front and rear rigging as viewed from the front.  The second photo really shows off the two parallel cables running the underside of the top wing as viewed from the rear.  The third photo (also viewed from the rear) shows a little extra rigging with the propeller shaft support frame.  The left side will also be rigged in the same manner.  Starting to look a bit more complicated, but still easy to understand how we got here in the first place.  Tah-dah,  this is all the rigging that can be done to the main frame without adding the rudder and elevator frames.  In essence, we're done at this point.  Ain't so bad, eh?

( 95 KB | 96 Downloads )
Wright_Flyer_reduced___130.jpg
( 94 KB | 112 Downloads )
Wright_Flyer_reduced___131.jpg
( 96 KB | 139 Downloads )
Wright_Flyer_reduced___133.jpg

IP Logged

Skyediamonds
Global Moderator

Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling

Reply #20 - Mar 10th, 2017 at 4:26pm
Print Post  
The forward cross rigging.  Notice that I haven't started on the rear rigging, or installed either the rudder or elevator.  This allows for maximum access.  I'm basically following the drawings from the previous posting.  Not so bad, eh?

( 78 KB | 88 Downloads )
Wright_Flyer_reduced___127.jpg
( 79 KB | 92 Downloads )
Wright_Flyer_reduced___129.jpg

IP Logged

Skyediamonds
Global Moderator

Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling

Reply #19 - Mar 10th, 2017 at 4:20pm
Print Post  
Before I commence on the additional cross rigging for the front and rear struts, I thought it might be worthwhile to see a simplified set of drawings of my intended rigging and the method of my approach.  It's really easy.  Just basically zigging and zagging up and down through pre-drilled holes of the struts.  As mentioned before, by drilling the holes, I can hope to minimize all of those knots tied to the struts for a nice, clean appearance.  The second picture shows the over-laying of the initial zigzag pattern of the first rigging. For the horizontal rigging, I simply tied a knot to one end of the cross  rigging and carefully threaded it through the middle of all of the struts until the last cross rigging.  There, I just tied a knot and cut off the excess.  I realized, too late, that the first picture should not have featured the horizontal line as I have yet to thread the second set of threads to create the cross pattern needed to tie the knot.  Sorry about that.

( 32 KB | 109 Downloads )
Wright_Flyer_reduced___145.jpg
( 34 KB | 84 Downloads )
Wright_Flyer_reduced___144.jpg

IP Logged

Skyediamonds
Global Moderator

Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling

Reply #18 - Mar 10th, 2017 at 1:31pm
Print Post  
Now that the rigging to the wing warping is completed as much as possible without the rudder (or elevator), I'm not going to attach the rudder frame at this time.  This is to allow me continued access to add cross rigging between the front and rear struts, and more rigging to the top and bottom wings.  In another words, trying to do as much rigging as possible  without bumping into anything.  Looking closely, at the last picture, I haven't cut off the loose end of the thread.  That's done with a sharp # 11 X-Acto knife as close to the strut as possible without cutting anything else off.  It's always better to leave just a tiny stub of thread remaining than risk cutting other portions of the rigging, or worst, the strut itself.  Notice too, that the extreme outer struts are not cross-rigged as per the real aircraft to allow for flexibility of wing warping.  We're still je's cruising and taking our time with each step.  Not bad, eh?
« Last Edit: Mar 10th, 2017 at 4:10pm by Skyediamonds »  

( 62 KB | 75 Downloads )
Wright_Flyer_reduced___123.jpg
( 54 KB | 88 Downloads )
Wright_Flyer_reduced___122.jpg
( 58 KB | 94 Downloads )
Wright_Flyer_reduced___124.jpg

IP Logged

Skyediamonds
Global Moderator

Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling

Reply #17 - Mar 10th, 2017 at 1:20pm
Print Post  
Here's a close up of the wing warping rigging as it stands.  This is the right side as viewed from the rear.  I've just added some twisting before and after the pulley and some brass tubing to act as small turnbuckles.  Just a touch of "bling" you might say.  I also connected the ends to the rudder bellcrank and the other end runs under the engine to the pilot's cradle.  At this point just to add some twisting, a couple of tiny brass tubes, and connecting to the bellcrank took all of about thirty minutes. 

( 59 KB | 127 Downloads )
Wright_Flyer_reduced___121.jpg

IP Logged

Skyediamonds
Global Moderator

Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling

Reply #16 - Mar 10th, 2017 at 1:01pm
Print Post  
To our more astute observers, I also left out the rudder and the front elevator frames in addition to the three rear wing struts.  This is to give me as much freedom as possible to focus on the internal wing warping without bumping into anything.  It's also in keeping with my own theme: "Working from Inside Out."  I'm hoping that by calling this little tidbit, our fellow members can easily see that we do not have to follow the instructions as if they were etched in stone, but rather we can use the instructions merely as guides.  Still, everything is simple, easy, and accessible.  We just added the rigging to include bellcranks and pilot's cradle.

( 83 KB | 101 Downloads )
Wright_Flyer_reduced___74_002.jpg

IP Logged

Skyediamonds
Global Moderator

Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling

Reply #15 - Mar 9th, 2017 at 5:27pm
Print Post  
Let's have some fun and expand our rigging to the lower wing warping jes' a wee bit.  We'll connect the bellcrank and pilot's cradle.  At the pilot's cradle, the cables are crossed (so as to ensure that it's the left side getting pulled during a right turn and vice versa) and the right side was snaked under the engine.  As you can see, it's still simple and easy.  Only requiring a bit of patience and perhaps a pair of tweezers.  Notice on the right wing, I haven't started on the crossed longitudinal rigging between the front and rear struts.  We're just coasting along and taking our time.  Patience is virtue.

( 61 KB | 104 Downloads )
Wright_Flyer_reduced___120.jpg
( 83 KB | 96 Downloads )
Wright_Flyer_reduced___74_001.jpg

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint