Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic 1937 Texaco Trophy Winner Control Line Modified (Read 3485 times)
DAVE Q
Global Moderator

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Re: 1937 Texaco Trophy Winner Control Line Modified
Reply #9 - Mar 5th, 2017 at 5:24am
Print Post  
Quote:
DAVE.

2. I would never have come up with an idea to modify the Ringmaster. Brilliant thinking, and if I do something really silly it is all your fault. Shocked
3. Your Texaco is a really nice airplane to look at, how does she fly? PHOTOS please.

Bob

Bob
I read an article once that said, after a modeller puts together his first airplane, he then starts to make changes to the plans to "improve the performance". Boy, am I guilty of that one. And then the next thing he wants to do, is design his own plane. This has been on the back burner since day one for me. But with how many designs that are out there, it's hard to come up with an original design, which I guess what has stopped me from designing my own. What the article did suggest was, to take an existing successful plan, keep your moments/arms and surface areas about the same. I just drew over the Ringmaster tail, and eyeballed that the changes I made were about the same as the original. And kept it the same distance from the wing. As far as the rounded wingtips, I just figuered it was kind of a little more wing area. But when I wonked on that heavy landing gear, I had to cut the nose/engine mount aft almost an 1 1/2" to get my CG back. Which luckely, I planned for when I glued the hardwood blocks in for the engine mount. And extended them aft also before glueup. And barely ended up with enough room for the tank. As far as flying right now, she is a stable design. But some how, I ended up with way to big a prop on it. I have a 12" x something pitch on it and the engine comes no where close to powering up. I thought something odd sounded about it when I test ran it in the back yard. Thought it was the muffler. Right now she is like a 55 Cadillac going up a windey mountain road. Slow, sure footed, taking her time, and enjoying the sights. The president at the club said I should have a 10x5 prop on it. Maybe a 10x6. And maybe take the muffler off it. I don't like to promote "loud" at the fields these days. I never did get my repairs/improvements done yesterday like I said. My lt knee is bothering me somewhat, so I wound down the day working on my Focke Wulf teather flyer. I can just sit to work on it. Maybe I'll post some picks of it today. I have no clue how I am going to cover/finish this one.

IP Logged

bigrip74
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Mar 4th, 2017 at 7:32pm
Print Post  
jwwasham wrote on Mar 4th, 2017 at 6:18pm:
What a beauty!  Some nice innovation going on here. Smiley

I agree with Bob about the "priceless stuff" drawer.  I couldn't build without one. Wink

Nice work Dave.

John

John, be careful that I don't get you into any trouble with the WIFE so blame everything on me and she will only be able to point the blame at me and you are able to build without any guilt. Shocked

IP Logged

jwwasham
3 Star Member

Go Lemmings, Go!

Reply #7 - Mar 4th, 2017 at 6:18pm
Print Post  
What a beauty!  Some nice innovation going on here. Smiley

I agree with Bob about the "priceless stuff" drawer.  I couldn't build without one. Wink

Nice work Dave.

John

Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want.
"Simplify, then add lightness"  Colin Chapman
A closed mind is just a useless weight on the shoulders.

IP Logged

bigrip74
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Mar 4th, 2017 at 4:18pm
Print Post  
DAVE.

1. there is no such thing as a "junk drawer" its proper name is" PRICELESS STUFF " drawer. Wink
2. I would never have come up with an idea to modify the Ringmaster. Brilliant thinking, and if I do something really silly it is all your fault. Shocked
3. Your Texaco is a really nice airplane to look at, how does she fly? PHOTOS please.

Bob

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #5 - Mar 4th, 2017 at 1:45pm
Print Post  
Dave,
She's a beauty.  Sorry to hear about the rough landing, but looks like you have everything in hand!  Would love to see some video sometime!
Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

DAVE Q
Global Moderator

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #4 - Mar 4th, 2017 at 12:00pm
Print Post  
Love this muffler I found on RC Groups. Going to see if I can find another for the Stuka. Last time I flew it, I ended up in the gravel on the outside of the circle. Broke the gear. Have an idea to improve the gear. Would like to keep the fairings. And need to put a smaller prop on it. After I take pictures of the Stuka and post them, I'm going to fix the gear, weight box, and put a smaller prop on it so I am ready to go. Thats whats fun about this control line club. The president actually calls everyone the day before people are going to go up and fly. And when you go, people are actually there. Last year there were people only there 3 times when I was at the RC field. There's never anyone there.

( 102 KB | 70 Downloads )
100_0360.jpg

IP Logged

DAVE Q
Global Moderator

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #3 - Mar 4th, 2017 at 11:51am
Print Post  
Put the newfangled adj weight box on it. Which vibrated loose and fell out on the first flight. My fault, never put locktite on it. Saw the weight fall loose from the plane, and did not notice any change in the flight characteristics of the plane at all. Not going to put this on the Stuka.

( 142 KB | 64 Downloads )
100_0359.jpg

IP Logged

DAVE Q
Global Moderator

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #2 - Mar 4th, 2017 at 11:47am
Print Post  
Put the newfangled adjustable leadouts on it. Which I never touch. Not going to do this on the Stuka.

( 76 KB | 64 Downloads )
100_0358.jpg

IP Logged

DAVE Q
Global Moderator

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #1 - Mar 4th, 2017 at 11:45am
Print Post  
Then I knew in the junk drawer there was this cowling. After installing it, then I had to stick these wheel pants on it from the junk drawer also. Thus the 1937 Texaco Trophy Winner Control Line Modified was born.

( 83 KB | 74 Downloads )
100_0357.jpg

IP Logged

DAVE Q
Global Moderator

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

1937 Texaco Trophy Winner Control Line Modified
Mar 4th, 2017 at 11:41am
Print Post  
Bob
This is what I flew about 2 weeks ago, after about 30 years. Browsing thru plans I came across the 1937 Texaco Trophy Winner. Fell in love with the tail of the airplane immediately. When I decided to build a control line, I was after something unique. So I took a copy of a Ringmaster plan, and put a 1937 Texaco Trophy winner tail on it. Then I put round wingtips on it, because I like round wingtips. Can't imagine trying to fly an actual plane sitting that far back, but it's not the vantage point I have.

( 66 KB | 70 Downloads )
100_0356.jpg

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint