Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) MIG 17 by LASTWOODSMAN (Read 5165 times)
LASTWOODSMAN
5 Star Member

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Re: MIG 17 by LASTWOODSMAN
Reply #20 - Jun 28th, 2017 at 8:10am
Print Post  
This brief "Flight Story" about Van Coc on "Historic Wings", tell the REAL story of the Air War in Vietnam... website - http://fly.historicwings.com/2012/12/north-vietnams-leading-ace/

( 67 KB | 69 Downloads )
MIG_17_AND_F105_THNDERCHIEF.jpg

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...

IP Logged

LASTWOODSMAN
5 Star Member

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Reply #19 - Jun 28th, 2017 at 8:08am
Print Post  
"Nguyen Van Coc" - North Vietnam's leading Ace - 9 kills.

( 12 KB | 79 Downloads )
NGUYEN_VAN_COC_2.jpg

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...

IP Logged

LASTWOODSMAN
5 Star Member

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Reply #18 - Jun 28th, 2017 at 8:07am
Print Post  
"Nguyen Van Coc" - North Vietnam's leading Ace - 9 kills.

( 41 KB | 80 Downloads )
NGUYEN_VAN_COC_9_KILLS.jpg

IP Logged

LASTWOODSMAN
5 Star Member

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Reply #17 - Jun 28th, 2017 at 8:06am
Print Post  
AFTERTHOUGHT Looking Back ... I should have -1- glued the rudder on straight , -2- installed the rear view Periscope by the canopy, -3- installed wing fuel tanks, -4- built wing Anhedral (not the kit dihedral), -5- installed the third cannon beside the first two cannons, -6- made four K-5 air to air missiles, now that I researched it all.... Lips Sealed

( 25 KB | 58 Downloads )
MIG_17_BEAR__STUDIOS.jpg

IP Logged

LASTWOODSMAN
5 Star Member

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Reply #16 - Jun 28th, 2017 at 8:04am
Print Post  
CANOPY COCKPIT FRAME The clear 0.020" thick cockpit canopy frames were made as follows... I used white printer paper to cut thin strips for the frames by sizing and recuting and test fitting them over the canopy frame. When they all fit and matched the frame nicely, I traced them onto the back of a Top Flite Trim Sheet (peel 'n stick) - but did not cut them out yet. On the colored front of the trimsheet, I used the same acrylic paint colors that I mixed up that matched the camo tissue colors, and painted over the whole front of the color side of the trim sheet in the same camo pattern and let it dry.

( 90 KB | 83 Downloads )
IM003921_1024x768.jpg

IP Logged

LASTWOODSMAN
5 Star Member

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Reply #15 - Jun 28th, 2017 at 8:02am
Print Post  
CANOPY COCKPIT FRAME The clear 0.020" thick cockpit canopy frames were made as follows... I used white printer paper to cut thin strips for the frames by sizing and recutting and test fitting them over the canopy frame. When they all fit and matched the frame nicely, I traced them onto the back of a Top Flite Trim Sheet (peel 'n stick) - but did not cut them out yet. On the coloured front of the trimsheet, I used the same acrylic paint colors that I mixed up that matched the camo tissue colors, and painted over the whole front of the color side of the trim sheet in the same camo pattern and let it dry.

( 21 KB | 63 Downloads )
MIG_17_BEAR_STUDIOS_2.jpg
( 82 KB | 87 Downloads )
IM003920_1024x768.jpg

IP Logged

LASTWOODSMAN
5 Star Member

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Reply #14 - Jun 28th, 2017 at 7:59am
Print Post  
I used acrylic paints mixed up as best I could to match the camo tissue covering.

( 92 KB | 74 Downloads )
IM003915_1024x768.jpg
( 83 KB | 75 Downloads )
IM003918_1024x768.jpg

IP Logged

LASTWOODSMAN
5 Star Member

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Reply #13 - Jun 28th, 2017 at 7:54am
Print Post  
PAINTING: The infil-planked forward fuse, the built-up nose cowl, the stiff paper rear fuse fairing, the vac-formed plastic jet engine nozzle fairing, the wing fences (which were really hard to make and glue on), the main gear nose wheels and doors, were all brush painted.

( 93 KB | 75 Downloads )
IM003914_1024x768.jpg

IP Logged

LASTWOODSMAN
5 Star Member

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Reply #12 - Jun 28th, 2017 at 7:52am
Print Post  
Later versions were also equipped with four - Kaliningrad K-5, air to air missiles. These were "beam-riding guidance", short-range, anti-bomber missiles.

( 34 KB | 84 Downloads )
K-5_MISSILE.jpg

IP Logged

LASTWOODSMAN
5 Star Member

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Reply #11 - Jun 28th, 2017 at 7:50am
Print Post  
The 3 cannons were mounted under the nose in a removable gun pack.

( 20 KB | 66 Downloads )
MIG_17_GUN_PACK.JPG

IP Logged

LASTWOODSMAN
5 Star Member

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Reply #10 - Jun 28th, 2017 at 7:49am
Print Post  
The Mig 17 had 3 cannons - two: 23 mm Cannon, 80 rounds per gun, 160 rounds total. And one 37 mm cannon, 40 rounds total.

( 10 KB | 67 Downloads )
MIG_17_GUN_PACK_2.jpg

IP Logged

LASTWOODSMAN
5 Star Member

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Reply #9 - Jun 28th, 2017 at 7:47am
Print Post  
The Mig 17 was one of the most widely produced jet A/C ever made - in excess of over 12,000 were produced. It never saw action in the Korean War. The jet engine was a Klimov VK afterburning turbojet with a thrust of 5,955 lbf, and 7,423 lbf with afterburner. The afterburning turbojet increased thrust by dumping fuel into the exhaust of the basic engine. Top speed was 711 mph.

( 27 KB | 78 Downloads )
MIG_17_BEAR_STUDIOS_3.jpg

IP Logged

LASTWOODSMAN
5 Star Member

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Reply #8 - Jun 28th, 2017 at 7:46am
Print Post  
The purpose of the wing fence was to obstruct the span-wise airflow along the wing, to prevent the entire wing from stalling at once. The Mig 17 wing also lacked taper that the Mig 15 had.

( 98 KB | 76 Downloads )
IM003917_1024x768.jpg

IP Logged

LASTWOODSMAN
5 Star Member

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Reply #7 - Jun 28th, 2017 at 7:45am
Print Post  
The wing fence was often seen on swept-wing A/C, and was located on the upper wing surface and wrapped around to the leading edge.

( 51 KB | 66 Downloads )
MIG_17_FRESCO.jpg

IP Logged

LASTWOODSMAN
5 Star Member

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Reply #6 - Jun 28th, 2017 at 7:42am
Print Post  
The Mig 17 (advanced from the Mig 15 of the Korean War - where the Mig 15 fought the F86 Sabre), had the easily visible difference of an added "ventral fin" under the rear fuselage (the Mig 15 had none), and the Mig 17 also had an added third "wing fence" on each wing

( 369 KB | 77 Downloads )
MIG_17s_TIMES_TWO.jpg
( 70 KB | 78 Downloads )
IM003924_1024x768.jpg

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint